Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Burnley v Aberdeen - 2nd leg

Started this because as much as yesterday was positive, we didn’t win and have a big task ahead. Much like last year against Siroki, I expect us to be fitter, stronger, and better next Thursday. While we played well I still think we were somewhat timid against the reputation of a premier league team. Yes they were good but they’re not that good and while we put in a good performance I truly believe we can be considerably better. We were praised for effort, defensive shape and organization, but we’ll be a week fitter and can certainly move the ball better.

If everyone is fit I’d like to see Hoban retain his place at left back. Lennon gave him a tough time but he’s an upgrade on Considine, certainly in terms of pace, plus a week of training and familiarity I’d expect improvement.  Initially wanted Shinnie there but I think we fell off the pace a little when Shinnie moved to the left yesterday. The only changes I’d make are Forrester replacing Ferguson, and Gleeson replacing Ball. From what I’ve seen I’ve been impressed with Forrester’s flair and we were too much long ball and lacked central creativity yesterday. I also feel that while Ball was solid yesterday, Gleeson gives us more.

Head says 2-0 Burnley, but heart says 2-1 us, Shinnie and Cosgrove.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst we'll be fitter, so will Burnley and i'd imagine they'll have a few more players back in contention.  Thursday was a missed opportunity, despite still being a great game and result.  Can't see us winning this one, but I do think we will score.  Hope those that have managed to get tickets have a great time, hopefully they give us a good Lancastrian welcome!

In / out: out

Pre-match: Bed

Match: Bed, hopefully watching the game

Post-match: snow boarding :thumbsup: *weather permitting

Prediction: 3-1 Burnley, Shinnie

Whilst we'll be fitter, so will Burnley and i'd imagine they'll have a few more players back in contention.  Thursday was a missed opportunity, despite still being a great game and result.  Can't see us winning this one, but I do think we will score.  Hope those that have managed to get tickets have a great time, hopefully they give us a good Lancastrian welcome!

In / out: out

Pre-match: Bed

Match: Bed, hopefully watching the game

Post-match: snow boarding :thumbsup: *weather permitting

Prediction: 3-1 Burnley, Shinnie

I agree. I have read several posts saying "Aberdeen will be stronger and fitter for the second leg" but seemingly not taking into account so will Burnley. McInnes himself said "we'll be fitter and stronger" but did not mention Burnley.

The Dons started pre-season a couple of weeks earlier but the Clarets will just about have caught up by this Thursday in terms of meaningful friendly matches and minutes played by the squad.

I think you've got a game against Arbroath tomorrow while we play our first "home" pre-season match against  Montpellier (10th in the French top division last season and not far off qualifying for Europe themselves). We'll have our work cut out to win because I think Dyche will "rest" a couple who are carrying minor knocks after Thursday's tough match.

I doubt whether we'll be much-changed in the return but it will be a shame for us (and Dons fans but not the team) that the skill of Steven Defour & Robbie Brady will NOT be on view next Thursday. We certainly lacked creativity but Westwood is only 50% of the player Defour.

However, the return of our best striker Ashley "Basher" Barnes and his 110% commitment would certainly improve our chances. I hope he can at least make the bench.

Our league season does not start until August 12, so it might be a very slight advantage to us that you are hosting Rangers less than 72 hours after the second leg.

I've never heard of Barnes but he won't be worse than that New Zealander Wood. That was a donkey carthorse and I was amazed that a Premier League manager recruited him far less picked him to play. He's fucking shite.

Wood is ungainly and not blessed with fancy footwork, but 10 goals in 24 Premier League matches last season (one every 161 minutes)....very good scoring rate not that far behind Salah and Kane.

I know it's a lower division but the previous season Wood bagged 30 goals in 48 matches for Leeds United.

So would you advise your manager to put in an offer for our left sided central defender McKenna? £10million is the asking price. If he offered a straight swap for yours (Mee I think he's called) I'd tell him to f@ck right off. And supposedly yours is worth £15million  :hammer:

Wood is ungainly and not blessed with fancy footwork, but 10 goals in 24 Premier League matches last season (one every 161 minutes)....very good scoring rate not that far behind Salah and Kane.

I know it's a lower division but the previous season Wood bagged 30 goals in 48 matches for Leeds United.

I know it was only one game but it amazes me that his scoring record was that strong. He is indeed ungainly and I didn't see a footballer in him and certainly not a physically fit one.

I'm guessing he had most of his goals put on a plate for him. He's certainly a big enough unit to challenge for and win headers but I doubt he can create goals for himself by beating the last man.

So would you advise your manager to put in an offer for our left sided central defender McKenna? £10million is the asking price. If he offered a straight swap for yours (Mee I think he's called) I'd tell him to f@ck right off. And supposedly yours is worth £15million  :hammer:

If McKenna plays well again in the second leg, if Dyche rates him I would not be surprised if he put in a bid (as "one for the future" and the main back-up to Mee & Tarkowski).

At the moment, Dyche wants either Craig Dawson (WBA but unused sub against Aberdeen) or Alfie Mawson (Swansea). Both are rated at £20 million by their clubs). Burnley are too tight-fisted to pay that so Dyche may go for a younger CH - "one for the future".

He IS one for the future. He's nowhere near the finished article and quoting his handful of caps for FIFA ranked 437th best country in the world doesn't make him any better.

In the first half, McKenna was immense and never put a foot wrong but he has mistakes in him, sometimes calamitous ones. I don't know if it's a concentration issue or if he's not that bright but that's his manager's job to help strengthen his weaknesses and I doubt McInnes even knows what they are. He might be a great footballer in the future but I'd be shocked if he ever got quoted ahead of some of the great AFC centre backs we have had over the years. He is raw potential with so much to learn, nothing more.

He's still plenty to learn but I'm not sure I'd class him as one for the future.  He is the future and he's grabbed it with both hands. Naivety cost us that goal on Thursday, haven't watched it back to see whether it was his, Devlin, or both of their fault.  Amusing that they share a flat, can only be good things for the upcoming season. Providing he stays of course.

Sean Dyche was a decent uncompromising centre-half at lower Championship/higher League One level so should be a good judge. He started off at Forest under Brian Clough but never broke into the first team when Forest were still a top side with the likes of Des Walker and Stuart Pearce.

It will be interesting if he shows any interest in McKenna after the two ties. Dyche must be aware of the Swansea interest.

He's still plenty to learn but I'm not sure I'd class him as one for the future.  He is the future and he's grabbed it with both hands. Naivety cost us that goal on Thursday, haven't watched it back to see whether it was his, Devlin, or both of their fault.  Amusing that they share a flat, can only be good things for the upcoming season. Providing he stays of course.

It probably was McKenna's fault to be fair. Got caught wrong side of Vokes and seemed to lose sight of the ball after Vokes' first touch. However Hoban also has to take a share of the blame was outmuscled by Vokes as the ball was dropping. Devlin entirely blameless.

I'd agree McKenna does still have the odd howler in him but he's good for 5 goals a season which should easily counteract those howlers and his distribution has improved a thousand percent in the past 6 months. Would any of our fans really swap him for Mee? I doubt a single one would.

Burnley sold Michael Keane for £30 million to Everton last summer and the Toffees fans think Burnley have robbed them blind.

Keane's poor form is down to not having Ben Mee covering his mistakes and rescuing situations. Same with Tarkowski - only reason Tarks is now an England international is because of Mee,

Most Burnley fans would put Mee ahead of Tarkowski and Keane.

I agree. I have read several posts saying "Aberdeen will be stronger and fitter for the second leg" but seemingly not taking into account so will Burnley. McInnes himself said "we'll be fitter and stronger" but did not mention Burnley.

The Dons started pre-season a couple of weeks earlier but the Clarets will just about have caught up by this Thursday in terms of meaningful friendly matches and minutes played by the squad.

I think you've got a game against Arbroath tomorrow while we play our first "home" pre-season match against  Montpellier (10th in the French top division last season and not far off qualifying for Europe themselves). We'll have our work cut out to win because I think Dyche will "rest" a couple who are carrying minor knocks after Thursday's tough match.

I doubt whether we'll be much-changed in the return but it will be a shame for us (and Dons fans but not the team) that the skill of Steven Defour & Robbie Brady will NOT be on view next Thursday. We certainly lacked creativity but Westwood is only 50% of the player Defour.

However, the return of our best striker Ashley "Basher" Barnes and his 110% commitment would certainly improve our chances. I hope he can at least make the bench.

Our league season does not start until August 12, so it might be a very slight advantage to us that you are hosting Rangers less than 72 hours after the second leg.

Agree Burnley will be fitter, but we died in the second half. Don’t see that happening on Thursday. Over the years we’ve seen the dons improve fitness in Europe by the game, expecting the same. The Turks will see this from us in the next round too. Think you also commented in another post about Burnley underachieveing when favorites. Got a sneaky feeling that will be Thursday.

The Burnley goal is on YouTube. Both defenders were hopeless.

https://youtu.be/jMmQpeT8sZI

Yup, very poor defending. But it’s half time and I’m sure we’ve learned our lesson. Vokes changed the game for Burnley, we’ll be prepared for him. Feeling strangely optimistic this morning. Think most see us as plucky Aberdeen hung on for a credible draw but the tie is over. Not necessarily what is being said, we’re getting compliments, but most feel it’s over. I even think, deep down, Dyche believes this. He was respectful post match but I think he and many think they saw the best from us. While Burnley are more highly regarded than Groningen and Rijeka, for some reason I think another shock could be on the cards. Better go for a lie down...

I think it's over. I don't rate their defence particularly highly but they are a lot better than us in midfield and attack.

We certainly won't be disgraced though. Actually wouldn't be surprised at a 0-0 draw though more likely a 1 or 2 nil defeat. Would love to be proved wrong though. However as I've stated elsewhere.......sevco next Sunday really should be our priority and I'd settle for us going out as long as our players get through the tie uninjured.

hope they can avoid newco though

Obviously i hope sevco get shocked at home on Thursday and go out. However if they progress can't remem who they drew but IIRC it looked like being yet another easyish tie. So if Burnley do indeed progress then I hope to hell the get the tribute act in round 4 and stick 5 past the gits home and away