Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The national stadium question

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what do you think?

No move for me, Hampden has it's flaws but taking money out of the Scottish game and in putting it in the SRU's pocket gives me the dry boke.

If the option is give money to the SRU or rent the stadiums from the arse cheeks then I know where I would rather the cash went. Murrayfield is best option for public transport but pitch is a bit far away on main stand side but no worse than Hampden.

Wasting money is a crime, particularly when perpetrated by arseholes who are wasting other people's cash.

The other people are us, normal fans who invest in the game. The arseholes are persons of a mentality that they want to work for quangos and similar public sectory type organisations. These cunts should have their spending audited by business people. Then again, whilst the waste generated by the SFA is probably due to simple incompetence, the business auditors would create waste by reasons of corruption.

It's a dimemma I tell thee. Caught between the charlatan and the deep red sea.

Third option for me....

Build a completely new national stadium somewhere easily accessible to all areas of Scotland rather than just the central belt.....so somewhere in between Stirling and Perth probably. Initially buy the whole Hampden site including Lesser Hampden from Queen's Park allowing them to relocate to a new build ground with capacity for around 5k fans ....plenty locations for this on south side of Glasgow.

Sell the whole site for development. It's enormous. If we can get 15million for Pittodrie site they should comfortably quadruple that.

Third option for me....

Build a completely new national stadium somewhere easily accessible to all areas of Scotland rather than just the central belt.....so somewhere in between Stirling and Perth probably. Initially buy the whole Hampden site including Lesser Hampden from Queen's Park allowing them to relocate to a new build ground with capacity for around 5k fans ....plenty locations for this on south side of Glasgow.

Sell the whole site for development. It's enormous. If we can get 15million for Pittodrie site they should comfortably quadruple that.

Maths not your speciality then.

A site is only worth what a developer is willing to pay for it. Mount Florida is OK as is Kings Park but Toryglen is not (or at least wasn't last time I checked).

Pittodrie being valued at 15million is based on what developers reckon they could get from converting the site to housing. Houses in Aberdeen cost more than most parts of the south side of Glasgow

If the plan is to scrap hampden and spend money on building a new national stadium then as I see it the only way to make it stack up financially would be to demolish Murrayfield too therby emulating the Irish & Welsh and having just one main stadium for all sports (I am discounting Croke park as it is reserved for the Gaelic games). Spend extra on having a running track with retractable seating as well as a retractable roof and yer onto a winner. However moving it outside of the Central belt would not make business sense.

A stadium like that would need other sources of income so moving it away from the majority of the populaiton (central belt), the busiest railway stations from (Edinburgh Waverley & Glasgow Central), and the two businest Airports (guess which ones they are) makes it less attractive for concerts etc.

Believe I saw an article which said Queens Park would be hit with a bill of about £10million if the SFA left hampden as part of the redevelopment funding had conditions relating to it being used for Internationals and cup finals. It true the discussion of where Queen's park move to could be irrelevant.

Personally I am for Murrayfield mainly because it is the largest stadium and to my knowledge has not had 'ends' claimed by any team. I do however disagree on the comments about how good the transport links etc are for it. Hampden at least has multiple roads away from it, is less than 1mile from the M74, and has several surrounding railway stations on the send largest suburban rail network in the UK.

Cops can split different groups of supporters much easier

Murrayfield was pretty chaotic IMO after the dons game last september. I actually walked about halfway back to Haymarket station down the middle of the A8 which had not been closed to traffic yet was gridlocked because of the fans dispersing. Edinburgh's bus network is very good but does rely on the roads not being blocked by thousands of fans walking back to town.

International rugby crowds don't tend to have the 'angry' element which is all too common in club (and international) football crowds so would be interested to see how the cops dealt with that.

I went back to the pub after Dons game so cannot comment on crowd control that day. For the Rugby the A8 is usually closed to traffic after the game with pedestrian system split for those heading to town and those joining the queuing system for Haymarket. On the South side they usually have buses lined up to take fans straight down the Western approaches into town. Also now have the trams which run out to the oark and rides at Edinburgh Park and the Airport. Also with Haymarket being a main line station it has major advantage over stations around Hampden as it takes away the need to change trains in the centre of Glasgow to get anywhere else in the country.

• 5 weeks later...
If the SFA move from Hampden to Murrayfield there will be blood on their hands. Staging a Celtic v Rangers game in a 67,000-capacity stadium in Edinburgh would be dangerous, irresponsible and unworkable. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

The above quote is from Scottish football journalist Mathew Lindsay.

Best that we just stay at Hampden then as we do not want to upset the only two clubs that matter in Scottish football.

Fuck all point moving from Hampden to Murrayfield. It might be bigger but Murrayfield isn't significantly better to warrant a move.

Yes it is, Hampden's shite. I like Hampden's location actually, but the ground is a disgrace and paying money for the shite view you get from the ends is a disgrace.

A bit like Westminster being in London results in a London-centric view of everything politically and a drain on resources, Hampden does similar in Scottish fitba by being in Glasgow. Hence the wailing of the press who would have to get off their arses and move to Edinburgh to be in front of the story. The quote above from Lencarl perfectly encapsulates the need for Scottish fitba to relocate. It's for the betterment of the entire game.

Murrayfield is pish as well like with it's 800 metre long pitch. It's still better though.

David Begg

Hadn't thought of this before, but as Celtic and Rangers  will be in more Cup finals and semifinals than other clubs (somebody can work out the historic figures) and most of their fans are from the greater Glasgow area it makes sense to stick with a redeveloped Hampden.

Another one who believes our National Stadium is for just for the Ugly Sisters and their fans to use.

Yes it is, Hampden's shite. I like Hampden's location actually, but the ground is a disgrace and paying money for the shite view you get from the ends is a disgrace.

A bit like Westminster being in London results in a London-centric view of everything politically and a drain on resources, Hampden does similar in Scottish fitba by being in Glasgow. Hence the wailing of the press who would have to get off their arses and move to Edinburgh to be in front of the story. The quote above from Lencarl perfectly encapsulates the need for Scottish fitba to relocate. It's for the betterment of the entire game.

Murrayfield is pish as well like with it's 800 metre long pitch. It's still better though.

As I said, Murrayfield's better but not significantly better. Still shite views from behind the goals and not without segregation issues so why move unless it's somewhere actually worth going? Moving won't solve any of the significant spetator-related issues currently affecting Hampden.

Not necessarily from you, but there's more than a hint of "get up Glasgow and the Old Firm" from some of the people who want to move to Murrayfield.

As I said, Murrayfield's better but not significantly better. Still shite views from behind the goals and not without segregation issues so why move unless it's somewhere actually worth going? Moving won't solve any of the significant spetator-related issues currently affecting Hampden.

I'd probably agree with most of that. The suggestion is, is that it is Hampden as is or Murrayfield as is, with no hope of improvements to Hampden.

Not necessarily from you, but there's more than a hint of "get up Glasgow and the Old Firm" from some of the people who want to move to Murrayfield.

Aye, you could be right. However, the existing Glasgow base (of the SFA at least) worsens the pervasive grip that the scum have in this country, which is at a detriment to the game, to the extent that it will eventually ruin us and others completely. Any change to this arrangement greatly heightens the chance of progressive change in the game from an objective perspective. Obviously it doesn't have to be a stadium move, however the notion that the scum travelling to Edinburgh regularly is a bad thing is a little short-sighted. Anything that can get them to compromise, to not be put at the forefront of every decision and to not entirely have everything their own way can only be good for the entire game, and it doesn't have to be from a "get it up them" type viewpoint. It's about reducing our reliance on the scum and making the game more broad in its appeal.

To add: Donsdaft's point is so pertinent. A new start for Scottish fitba. End that shite.

I'd probably agree with most of that. The suggestion is, is that it is Hampden as is or Murrayfield as is, with no hope of improvements to Hampden.

Aye, you could be right. However, the existing Glasgow base (of the SFA at least) worsens the pervasive grip that the scum have in this country, which is at a detriment to the game, to the extent that it will eventually ruin us and others completely. Any change to this arrangement greatly heightens the chance of progressive change in the game from an objective perspective. Obviously it doesn't have to be a stadium move, however the notion that the scum travelling to Edinburgh regularly is a bad thing is a little short-sighted. Anything that can get them to compromise, to not be put at the forefront of every decision and to not entirely have everything their own way can only be good for the entire game, and it doesn't have to be from a "get it up them" type viewpoint. It's about reducing our reliance on the scum and making the game more broad in its appeal.

To add: Donsdaft's point is so pertinent. A new start for Scottish fitba. End that shite.

To bring in a new era you need more than a city or stadium switch unfortunately. And sadly I don't think moving to Murrayfield would make one iota of difference to the authorities' approach to running the game, whether that's in relation to their rangers/celtic bias or anything else.

Joan Collins claims Hampden is finished — and believes former players should be part of the decision-making process regarding the stadium’s future. The former Scotland star insists national team games should tour the country and that prospective Old Firm cup finals could be alternated between Ibrox and Celtic Park.

Let's get the SFA to pay for upgrades to Ibrox and Parkhead and play ALL our National games and cup finals at these two grounds.

What exactly does Joan Collins do for a living apart from talk complete shit ?

I could be wrong but I believe one of the reasons competitive scotland games are no longer 'toured' around the country is because only 4 stadiums meet UEFA's pathetic excuse for criteria for competitive internationals (category 4). 3 in Glasgow, 1 in Edinburgh (and its a rugby one).

For all the good work Hearts and Hibs have done I believe there is little or nothing they can do to get the category 4 rating short of demolishing relatively new stands and sacrificing standard seats for corporate and media facilities (2tv studios, 10 commentary positions minimum 150 VIP car parking spaces, 1000m2 external area for tv vans to name but a few criteria).

Same applies for Rugby Park and definetly for pittodrie.

I could be wrong but I believe one of the reasons competitive scotland games are no longer 'toured' around the country is because only 4 stadiums meet UEFA's pathetic excuse for criteria for competitive internationals (category 4). 3 in Glasgow, 1 in Edinburgh (and its a rugby one).

For all the good work Hearts and Hibs have done I believe there is little or nothing they can do to get the category 4 rating short of demolishing relatively new stands and sacrificing standard seats for corporate and media facilities (2tv studios, 10 commentary positions minimum 150 VIP car parking spaces, 1000m2 external area for tv vans to name but a few criteria).

Same applies for Rugby Park and definetly for pittodrie.

I have been to qualifiers in recent years that do not meet the above criteria so other countries must be finding ways round the above criteria. Much like the UEFA rules for Europa league.

I have been to qualifiers in recent years that do not meet the above criteria so other countries must be finding ways round the above criteria. Much like the UEFA rules for Europa league.

Could you give a couple of examples as I'm struggling with this category bullshit and cant believe the likes of Andorra, Faroe islands etc meet this.

Wondering if UEFA just pick and choose as it suits