Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

11-a-side Players Wanted for Glasgow's Aberdeen Supporters Team Season 18/19

Hi folks,

It's the yearly quest for new players for Red Stars, Glasgow's Aberdeen Supporters Team.

Red Stars play in the Sunday Central League, which is mostly based in the Glasgow area.  We are on the look out for players in all positions, preferably with 11-a-side experience and of a decent standard.  We train on a Thursday night at Springburn Park and home matches are usually at Milton, but don't let that put you off!

Last season was a very tough one. The season started with a large squad and there was a lot of promise for a good season ahead. Unfortunately we lost a host of players - injury, work commitments and lack of commitment to the game - meant we were left with a skeleton squad for the rest of the season which understandably took it's toll, even to the point where we had to forfeit a number of matches due to not being able to field a squad.

That's the bad news.  The good news is that we are left with a good nucleus of a squad heading into the new season but we need reinforcements.  If you think you can make a difference, or know someone who can, please get in touch with us either on here through me, or email clubfutbolaberdeen@gmail.com. 

And please remember, if you are a Dons fan in Glasgow, it is your civic duty to apply...  :thumbsup:

ps Mods - can you leave this un-stickied please and I'll bump it up over the next few weeks?

You know Bobby, was speaking to my younger brother about Football a few days ago, I used to play in the Glasgow Community & Co-Operative League, few years back now, was a Central Midfielder, we even played the staff at Hampden, at mini Hampden, in a pre season friendly, they had a scout for Queens Park there and he invited myself and another lad to a few training sessions with them, but wasn't at all feasible sadly. The problem is though, our team was all from Ayrshire and there was always drivers that went to training & games obviously, so getting there and back was never an issue. Since then, I have genuinely put on a few stone & really doubt I'd last 45 minutes let alone 90 minutes.

Such a shame, I really do miss it, my brother was reminiscing about some of the games he used to come and watch. Made me hate the fact I am getting older.

Hope you get a squad sorted and best of luck for the season. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is with a heavy heart I say that after eight years, Red Stars are no more.

We just don't have the numbers/interest for it to continue.

Red Stars has been a really positive thing for Dons fans in Glasgow and has brought Dons fans together (The Rock being the destination for Dons fans in the weeg is due to Red Stars); I hope that continues at least.

We've had some great times over the years, thanks if you were ever involved.

STAND FREE

That’s a huge shame bobby. Did too many of the team just push the wrong side of 30? Hope you continue the meetings at the rock though

That's certainly played a part , Manc. There are other factors, the main one being that just not enough guys want to play football competitively these days. It's something which baffles me but it's different times from when I played, I suppose. Clubs are folding all the time and what was very noticeable was that there were very few young players in opposition teams generally. Never a good sign.

I'm not sure what the atmosphere in the Sunday Central League is but I have just 'retired' from playing 5s at Powerleague Townhead (after 10.5 years) because I am no longer prepared to put up with bullshit that seems to come with playing the game competitively now.

I know 5s is completely different to 11s but after a relatively calm few years (thanks to some rule changes that got rid of alot of thugs) they bad old days came back with a vengeance and the attitude of both the opposition and the officials ruined it for me.

I didnt mind the occasional 'handbags', late challenges or (as the keeper) someone 'accidentally' sliding into the box to try and intimidate me but recently it went back to 'punches, headbutts, spitting ie the stuff that gets you charged with assault on the street, for which the referees and centre management did nothing. On top of that it was turning up only to discover your opposition couldn't be bothered to show their faces so you ended up playing about 5 competitive games out of a possible 12 and lost the league because another team were given more 10-0 victories than you (10-0 awarded if the opposition doesnt show up). The price of games went up but the service went down

We used to tap into the influx of highland and western isles students every year but recently if we did get anyone they quit after a couple of matches where they ended up with black eyes, or hepatitis.

I'm sorry to hear your 11s team has gone and I reckon my old 5s team will soon follow (not because I was the greatest keeper but because I was one of only 3 who would turn up every week).

I think I read that kids theses days spend an average of 7 hours a week outside (including weekends) so I suspect as the current crop of 'sporty' people get older, the number of sports clubs will shrink dramatically