Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Neale Cooper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF.... hoped this wasn't true as no official reporting of incident.

Unfortunately it appears to have happened.

One of my favourites back in the day.

Wishing "Tattie" and his family a' the best and a speedy recovery.

Source E.E.

Dons legend Neale Cooper was today in a critical condition after being found seriously injured in Aberdeen.

Police are investigating after the Gothenburg Great was found collapsed in the communal stairwell of flats in the Ferguson Court area of Bucksburn at around 1.45am yesterday.

Police are investigating the cause of the retired footballer’s injuries, however, they are not believed to be suspicious.

Fantastic footballer... and that's it really.

He never planned for life beyond football and it was an inability to see beyond tomorrow that cost him dear. His wife left him whilst he was in his late 30's because he couldn't curb his partying lifestyle. He never held on to his management positions despite doing well at Hartlepool. Tragic story. The poor guy suffered a heart attack a year ago. Slippery slope that can only be arrested by clarity of purpose and self discipline.

RIP gone to soon.

Do you drive a taxi? Did you pick up 2 men and 2 women shortly after 12am on Sun, 27 May, at Union St in #Aberdeen and drop them off at Ferguson Ct, Bucksburn. If so contact police on 101 as you may be able to assist with our enquiries after a 54 year old man was found injured.

It’s too easy to call folk legends these days but Cooper and the rest of that Gothenburg team certainly are. One of only three teams from Scotland to win a continental competition means their legendary status goes beyond Aberdeen and into Scottish football as a whole.

Neale Cooper will never be forgotten by Dons fans and hopefully that will eventually be of some comfort to his family and friends.

Loved Neale Cooper when I first started supporting the dons - will never forget him scoring in the scottish cup final, his tight shorts, permed hair and being a absolutely brilliant midfielder

So many lovely tributes on social media tonight

So many lovely tributes on social media tonight

Heard so many great stories about him, it's really nice seeing wee videos of his talks.  By all accounts a really likable guy, wish i'd had the chance to meet him.

RIP.

Some fans have set up a petition to get the club to arrange a pre-season friendly in memory of him:

https://www.change.org/p/aberdeen-football-club-pre-season-friendly-in-memory-of-neale-cooper?recruiter=687706697&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial

That quote from Beckenbauer reminds me of the Quarter Final v. Bayern.

Not the home leg, the best game ever at Pittodrie - which isn't opinion by the way given how many us agree - but the 0-0 away in the first leg. My uncle was there and said that the way Neale dealt with World Cup winner Paul Breitner was the best individual performance he'd ever seen, no mean feat given that he was still a teenager!

I told Neale this at a birthday bash we all attended at Champers in the early 90's, a venue we attended most Saturdays in the early 80's. He agreed that he considered it his best game. I went to school with Neale, was stood next to his sister at Hampden when he made sure to give it enough pace to hit the net v. Rangers, was living in Glasgow when he signed for them so met him at the Holiday Inn, the city centre hotel just off the M8 where they put him up when he moved from Villa so have known him through good and bad for over 40 years.

It's a tragedy that he's gone from us. I'll miss his funeral if its this week as I'm away Weds thru Sunday but I'll not forget his personality and his positivity. Most of all, I'll remember how phenomenal a footballer he was. He was gifted at most sports and could have played for Scotland at a few of them but he loved football and he loved life.

It will be considered crass in some quarters to evoke truth or at least not ignore truth during a period of grieving - and I'm hurting big time tonight - but here's something younger people won't know;

Durrant was one of the most promising footballers Scotland had ever produced. His career was ended by that Neil Simpson assault. But it was Neale Cooper who inspired the assault through his sheer determination to win.

It was a determination that was pre-existing in his psyche but a will to win that his manager, SAF, didn't just recognise, but used to great effect.

Cooper was real. He gave his all on the pitch. He was programmed to fight and win and was so physically committed, he won more than he lost. They don't make them like that any more. RIP Nealie. Just a fantastic footballer and a perfect attitude in combat. We lost one of our best ever tonight. Love and respect.

Just so very sad. Met him in The Stag post-match a couple of years ago. A decent chap.

I was one of the first to post in this thread as I’d heard the police had been in to McNasties to check CCTV to make sure he hadn’t been followed to this party he went to. That’s when news started circulating about his condition. It doesn’t sound like anything malicious has happened.