Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

World Cup

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

OK, the season is finished so now we have the World Cup to 'look forward' to. For me, not quite the same without Scotland being there but dare say, will probably end up watching it nonetheless.

With no Italy or Holland in the mix I am actually beginning to wonder whether the guffies have a chance. At 18/1 they may be in with a shout and if the worst does happen then at least I would make a few quid. Not sure if I can bring myself to back them like.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the season is finished so now we have the World Cup to 'look forward' to. For me, not quite the same without Scotland being there but dare say, will probably end up watching it nonetheless.

With no Italy or Holland in the mix I am actually beginning to wonder whether the guffies have a chance. At 18/1 they may be in with a shout and if the worst does happen then at least I would make a few quid. Not sure if I can bring myself to back them like.

Italy and Holland aren't there because they are piss poor - if they were there they would have the same chance as England to win it - fuck all. England's squad is as poor as I can ever recall.

I'm looking forward to the World Cup, the last one was really enjoyable, but it's a month of football, it can never exactly be bad, can it?

Cannot wait for World Cup to start. I always enjoy them. Even the ones the experts have slated as being poor. Will get to see most of 7pm games and hopefully some of 1pm games if boss is out of the office. Lucky enough to have attended a World Cup which Scotland have been at. Amazing experience.

England's squad is as poor as I can ever recall.

I thought that as well just a few months back but the goalies aside their squad is basically made up of players who feature regularly for City, United, Liverpool and Spurs plus a couple for Leicester.

Their potential front three of Kane, Vardy and Sterling are pushing 70 goals this season.  If they can keep the goals out at their own end I think they've got a chance.

A lot of people are tipping Belgium but not convinced their team is any better than the guffs to be honest. Also remains to be seen whether the Germans and Spanish still have the hunger to win it again.

I thought that as well just a few months back but the goalies aside their squad is basically made up of players who feature regularly for City, United, Liverpool and Spurs plus a couple for Leicester.

Their potential front three of Kane, Vardy and Sterling are pushing 70 goals this season.  If they can keep the goals out at their own end I think they've got a chance.

A lot of people are tipping Belgium but not convinced their team is any better than the guffs to be honest. Also remains to be seen whether the Germans and Spanish still have the hunger to win it again.

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Danny Rose (Tottenham), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Eric Dier (both Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

That's not a great squad. A lot of players there who are much of a much-ness. Some decent players, but not going to win a world cup. Probably not going to come anywhere near it.

Very little creativity in the team bar Alli.

No outstanding, dominant centre back. Same for goalkeeper.  So I can't see them keeping the goals out at the other end.

They'll rely a lot on their full backs getting forward into good positions for crosses, as the tournament goes on that just won't be enough. 

Out in the round of 16 to Colombia  ;)

Rarely pay much attention to football in Guffland any more. There are a few names in that squad I can honestly say I've never heard of.

Not really even excited about the World Cup. As a young loon in the 70s and teenager in the early 80s I was spoilt with Scotland always qualifying......and always making a right royal fuck up of it once there (often with a controversial or comedy element thrown in for good measure). Once it starts I'll get into it no doubt and should pass the time nicely till we start our European adventure then the league gets back up and running.

Anyway Guffland....got their usual easy draw. Haven't looked to see who their potential opponents could be in last 16 but no matter who just cannot see them progressing any further than the quarter finals at the absolute best.

That's not a great squad. A lot of players there who are much of a much-ness. Some decent players, but not going to win a world cup. Probably not going to come anywhere near it.

Very little creativity in the team bar Alli.

No outstanding, dominant centre back. Same for goalkeeper.  So I can't see them keeping the goals out at the other end.

They'll rely a lot on their full backs getting forward into good positions for crosses, as the tournament goes on that just won't be enough. 

Out in the round of 16 to Colombia  ;)

The England squad has very few quality players. Work with three die hard English guys who don’t rate the squad or their chances at all. Remove Deli Alli and minimal creativity in midfield. Sterling had a great season but a big part of that was the quality around him drawing attention. An injury to Kane hurts them big time. Don’t expect much from them at all.

Last one was good, primarily for being in Vegas for some of it. What a blast that was! But by the end of it I found it tiring. There was too much football on. Same went for the euros. I probably watched the least amount of games I ever had. Have my issues with the next two world cups but I’m sure I’ll crack and watch the Russian one. It’s going to be a reasonably open one I reckon. The South American sides aren’t all that and neither are the Europeans.

I’m sure the Germans will win it. They’ve always wanted to make it to Moscow  ;)

Last one was good, primarily for being in Vegas for some of it. What a blast that was! But by the end of it I found it tiring. There was too much football on. Same went for the euros. I probably watched the least amount of games I ever had. Have my issues with the next two world cups but I’m sure I’ll crack and watch the Russian one. It’s going to be a reasonably open one I reckon. The South American sides aren’t all that and neither are the Europeans.

I’m sure the Germans will win it. They’ve always wanted to make it to Moscow  ;)

Be interested to hear from you if the Kiwi's have changed their licensing laws since the 2006 world cup.

Was quite irritating being chucked out of their pubs just as a game was going to extra time although it was satisfying finding a nightclub 3 doors along from the said pub which was showing the England v Portugal match extra time and not taking the time to tell the angry mob of england fans who were threatening to riot on the streets of Wellington.

Got to watch the game on a 14in portable telly hung on a bracket in the corner too so it was very nostalgic.

Personally I reckon Russia will get pumped out of the group stages

Be interested to hear from you if the Kiwi's have changed their licensing laws since the 2006 world cup.

Was quite irritating being chucked out of their pubs just as a game was going to extra time although it was satisfying finding a nightclub 3 doors along from the said pub which was showing the England v Portugal match extra time and not taking the time to tell the angry mob of england fans who were threatening to riot on the streets of Wellington.

Got to watch the game on a 14in portable telly hung on a bracket in the corner too so it was very nostalgic.

Personally I reckon Russia will get pumped out of the group stages

Yeah, i'll be intrigued.  I suppose since it's in Europe, most of them will be on early doors? I know the Welsh bar and the bar beneath my office show champions league games live.  Odd seeing pubs full of non drinkers at 7:30 am!  I think most nightclubs have to close by 3am now  :(

On a separate note, but WC related:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/22/rival-captains-make-case-to-fifa-for-paolo-guerreros-world-cup-inclusion?CMP=twt_gu

Given that coca tea is quite readily available in Peru, I don't find this hard to believe, but whether it was actually from Cocaine or coca tea, i'm not sure.  would have thought the toxicology levels must be fairly different.  I know from chewing coca leaves certainly made your mouth numb and obviously a burst of energy, but i'd imagine theres a fair bit more concentration in cocaine.  Shame for him to miss it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Spain bin their manager 2 days before they take on Portugal in their opening world cup match in response to him taking the Madrid job.  Mental.  Wonder who they will go for?  Could be a great temp job for Wenger perhaps?

Surely to late to bring someone in. I would suspect they will promote one of the back room team to be manager for the tournament.

Spain bin their manager 2 days before they take on Portugal in their opening world cup match in response to him taking the Madrid job.  Mental.  Wonder who they will go for?  Could be a great temp job for Wenger perhaps?

I'd hazard it may have been a decision taken either on the back of, or as an insurance against other "big" clubs making the Spanish FA's future life difficult. Can't imagine teams with players involved in that squad being happy about potential tapping up by next seasons Real Madrid coach.