Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Hola Amigos

Myself and wife have took over The Blarney, in La Cala de Mijas, Costa del Sol, Spain. Any Dandies on holiday near here please pop in past for a pint, anybody in the Dons colours will get a pint on me!

Costa del Sol Dons fan club starts here!

Furryboots is that Malaga?  Was in La Cala for a day in February and went to El Gusto (I think that was what it was called) and the food there was excellent. I’m going back over to Benalmadena in July and might get the bus over to La Cala.

Furryboots is that Malaga?  Was in La Cala for a day in February and went to El Gusto (I think that was what it was called) and the food there was excellent. I’m going back over to Benalmadena in July and might get the bus over to La Cala.

Its just along from El Gusto in the Car park behind the supersol supermarket, Crooky min. That El Gusto has just had a big revamp recently,

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A brewery owned local in the NE is going to the wall this December, or at least the licensee isn't renewing and bailing after 18 months. We were talking about the reasons why so many pubs are going under;

The smoking ban was mooted and may have had an impact.

Drink driving laws have had a bigger impact we reckoned. The guys finishing their work and going for a couple of pints on the way home have disappeared.

Supermarket price promotions have encouraged many to drink in the house but this negates the sense of community, which we felt was the whole point of pubs. With social media etc., the whole way we interact with one another has changed and whilst that's obviously had a major adverse effect on the licensed trade, in my opinion it's had a devastating effect in society too.

The bottom line is that you have to be good to survive let alone thrive in the pub game although like everything, some get lucky, location being the key. Most publicans couldn't spell USP and don't have the intelligence to understand business let alone their own, despite having the work ethic required forced upon them by their opening hours.

It's a tough business and only the fittest survive.

A family member made all his cash from the bar trade in the 90s, got out at a good time but they amount of work he and his wife put in helped to make it works.  For me now the only bars I really like are the older bars, Grill, Bridge, Aitchies then from there it's on to market street which has really turned in to a good spot at a weekend and business seems to be good at that side for the bars there.