Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

Long way off yet, but we were heavily linked with him and suddenly went quiet:

Aberdeen will be priced out of a move for Dylan McGeouch as the Hibs midfielder eyes a bumper deal south of border once his contract expires. (Daily Record)

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he had signed a pre contract already it would have been announced.

But I do agree if here were coming to us we would have had him on a pre contract already. Will likely end up somewhere like a Barnsley or Blackburn where sadly they can offer him nearly double what we can.

Cadden would be a great signing using him as a wing back we could afford to drop Logan who might show a bit of effort in improving his form if he has a genuine competitor for his place. However he would cost a fee as he is under contract till 2019

Few of Hibs fans I have spoken to reckon he had already signed a precontract down south.

Zero substance to the daily record article. All speculation and the records way of shooting us down. He made the Scotland squad, big deal. What has he done in his career? I like him as a player and think he is a good target for us but hibs can still finish second and Europe ahead of us so he waits to see how it plays out.

I'd still like to see us bring in some actual CM's and put Shinnie to LB, I appreciate there will be a few or even most, that feel he's a CM now, but not for me, a back 4 of Logan Devlin McKenna Shinnie could be pretty strong and formidable, bring in some CM's to balance the midfield, not forgetting Tansey is still to come back, or is he done? Fuck knows, will find out at the end of the season I suppose.

Whatever way you look at it, it's going to be another busy and important summer, I have a feeling Reynolds will be off also, possibly even Rooney, no way he'll be happy being benched most weeks, probably still our top scorer this season despite not playing as many games as he'd have liked, meaning another striker may be necessary as well.

Shinnie to left back would be fantastic. However, it has to 3rd or 4th in the queue given our first team leavers. We should be looking at two central midfielders first to replace McLean and Christie. Then a wide player to replace Stewart if we're not interested in playing Wright. Then another centre mid to replace Shinnie. Then another squad centre half in place of O'Connor.

To me Shinnie only became a midfielder by default. We couldn't get replacements for Robson, Flood, then Jack. What's easier to find, a quality midfielder or left back??

We need two central mids, Molumbo and McGeough would be great. Tansey can come off the bench - he never got fit for us, worth a punt as a back up. We have McGinn and GMS, I'd like us to keep Stewart and Wright, plus add another wide player. Chris Cadden or Jordan Jones?

The following are out the door/out of contract -

Rogers/Woodman (don't really count them as 2 - ?

OConnor - Devlin?

Arneson - ?

McLean - McGeough?

Christie - Cadden/Jones?

Stewart - keep Stewart

Ball - new right back to challenge Shay who can also play in midfield

Chidi - Tansey?

Maynard - one of the u20 please!

Shinnie to left back would be fantastic. However, it has to 3rd or 4th in the queue given our first team leavers. We should be looking at two central midfielders first to replace McLean and Christie. Then a wide player to replace Stewart if we're not interested in playing Wright. Then another centre mid to replace Shinnie. Then another squad centre half in place of O'Connor.

I would like us to keep Stewart, I think there's a player in there who is just lacking belief, definitely came good these last few games.

Forgot about O'Connor, if he was staying, he'd have signed a deal of some sort by now. I know he has his detractors, but I like him, I think he'd be a good squad player.

Scott Wright is a strange one, shown the odd flash but perhaps might have benefited going out on loan and getting a game week in/week out.

Still not convinced by Stewart but he has been pretty decent last month so if he keeps up this form going into the last few weeks of season then if Birmingham would take 250k max I think he would be worth a punt.

Devlin will replace AOC and if Kari will accept another 12 months on same terms thats centre half covered with Consi able to cover McKenna. I'd say right back is now a priority given Logan's long standing decline. Cadden would be good but dont think 'Well would sell for anything less than £300k so wont hold my breath.

Rooney I'm afraid is now a square peg in a round hole just doesnt suit the way we play any more. Playing him on the left wing is bizarre when we have a perfectly serviceable left winger in GMS. He should be allowed to leave for free as thanks for his service if he can line up another club. Will obviously need replacing.....sadly it would not surprise me for us to give Tony Watt a contract in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Shinne plays at CM because Shinnie wants to play at CM.  I think it's why he signed for us, DM said he would play him there.  In short, he's not going to be our LB but I agree we need one.

Not sure about that - he played left back when he first signed. Maybe it was mentioned as a long term view; either way, he's still a better left back than he is a CM.

We lose a lot without full backs who can attack and Shinnie was excellent at getting forward from that position.  If we can get one in then brilliant, but there aren't many going about that we could either afford or would be good enough for us.

Very interesting read Al, can't argue with his analysis of the side but he did seem to have forgotten about Devlin at CB.

Yeah, thought that as well. Doubt we've signed him without the plan being that he is to be a first choice.

Would be interesting to hear an update from the club regarding his rehabilitation progress.

From what I’ve seen of Stewart, I think he’d be far more useful through the middle in Christie’s position than he is out wide where he lacks enough pace to be effective in our system and his one trick of cutting inside onto his left foot is incredibly predictable for any above-average opposition left back. Wouldn’t pay any money for him though.

No idea if those Balkan lads that guy’s suggesting are actually any good or if it’s just someone trawling the Football Manager database but it would be good if we used some of that imagination when looking for signing targets. The “used to be good in Scotland but failed down south” market is a bit thin.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us go for Lewis Macleod at Brentford, probably on loan. The boy Walker that Wigan signed from Hearts can’t get a game in League 1. Another option for a loan now that they’ve been promoted. Stevie Mallan from Barnsley too maybe.

Not sure about that - he played left back when he first signed. Maybe it was mentioned as a long term view; either way, he's still a better left back than he is a CM.

We lose a lot without full backs who can attack and Shinnie was excellent at getting forward from that position.  If we can get one in then brilliant, but there aren't many going about that we could either afford or would be good enough for us.

Don't recall him playing LB more than a handful of times in his entire afc career.  Not so sure he is now, last time I saw him a lB he lloked very rusty. I think if Shinnie wanted to play LB then he would be 2bh

Don't recall him playing LB more than a handful of times in his entire afc career.  Not so sure he is now, last time I saw him a lB he lloked very rusty. I think if Shinnie wanted to play LB then he would be 2bh

Pretty sure most of his first season was at left back, but maybe not.

It's down to McInnes where he plays, if Shinnie is dictating that then that's a real issue.  You also don't just lose the ability to play the position, you may be rusty, but that's all it is.

Pretty sure most of his first season was at left back, but maybe not.

It's down to McInnes where he plays, if Shinnie is dictating that then that's a real issue.  You also don't just lose the ability to play the position, you may be rusty, but that's all it is.

Yep, he played a good portion of his first season there. I think that when he signed his new deal it would have been with a desire to be playing in midfield in the majority of games. We've been a victim of his success in that role though. He's marauding as fuck when he plays left back, and we've missed that. Last season it wasn't an issue as we had something different. Hayes could rely on Considine to get hard up the airse of a winger as Considine could rely on Hayes to cover and he'd never be left two on one or in a position where he had to "split the two" which is where his pace lets him down. On the other side, Logan was playing well and getting high enough up the pitch that McGinn could come inside and offer more in there (to the detriment of Christie is has to be said). With Logan having a poor season (although he's improved lately), that's really exacerbated the issues on the left caused by Hayes' departure. We really needed Shinnie in left back this season and due to the signing of Greg Fucking Tanscunt, we weren't able to use that option enough. Anyway, I couldn't care less if we got a new centre mid instead of Shinnie or a new left back and keep Shinnie in centre mid. He's an asset in both areas for different reasons (my preference would be left back if pushed, as I think it's harder to get a player of that quality in there).

Got told today by someone (usually reliable) that someone was undergoing a medical, told not to say anything yet, so i will just say WATT i was told  :laughing:

Really hope not. Utter waster with a severe attitude problem if the rumours from Hearts are to be believed.

Not the first time i've heard that in recent weeks  :-\

Ive been aware he has been training with us for a while, i also believe he was at Rugby Park (although i didnt see him ), but the text i received this afternoon from someone high up at Saltire, mentioned the medical.

We will see, tbh i dont know how i feel about it & yes i have heard the rumours about him being a bit of a twat.

Lets wait & see :dunno: