Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Messi versus Ronaldo

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've always been confused why there is such a debate over these two.  Only ever one winner in this discussion for me and it shall be our 'Messiah Messi'.  I'm interested to see what difference in the percentages are between said players from other football supporters. 

Ronnie Ronaldo for me. Comes across as an arsehole, which is possibly just his drive and determination but his record is superb, he even managed to lead Portugal to the Euro Championship.

Not much in it to be fair, both excellent players who rightly will go down as two of the best ever.

Ronaldo is obviously a credit to the sport. Getting on a bit now but fit as a fiddle and built like the proverbial brick shithouse. Scored an unbelievable goal last night against Juve (although it wasn't ask spectacular as I expected it to to be after I'd heard the wankathon about it but very good nonetheless). A fine goal on as big a stage as they come.

Having said that I voted for Messi. There's something about him that just makes him more likeable than Ronaldo. A far more slightly built loon he's had to defy the odds all the way along to prevent himself from being just another kid drummed out of football for being "too small". The way he plays the game he makes it look fun which it should be. Also I think Messi is less likely to sulk for any reason. 

Let's face it. There's nae much between the two of them in terms of ability and they're on a planet of their own when it comes to records and stats. Unbelievable footballers.

A good way to see who's the best of the two, now three candidates on the table is to see how they would fit into a great AFC team.

Messi would be a straight swap for Strachan although given how good the wee ginger weirdo was, albeit inconsistently, perhaps Lionel would be used as a squad filler, instead of Brian Grant or Dougie Bell. Then again that's harsh because Gruntie did more good break up play than the wee Argentinian could ever do and I doubt he's ever been as good and as influential on any game than Dougie was against the Belgians.

Even though Ronaldo looks like he might be as good as Eric Black was, I just can't drop my favourite from yesteryear for the sulky Portuguese faggot. I wouldn't have even considered dropping McGhee, Archibald, McDougall or Harper for Cristiano although given Dingus' unfortunate personality, he might be fav to step aside. But no, Ronaldo wouldn't have been able to stick it on Hewitt's head like McGhee did that wet night.

Zizou though, you pick him first and then pick players around him. But we had Jim Bett, the Scottish Zidane. Maybe Zinedane was the French Algerian Bett? It's a dilemma, one we can never prove, simply because we never saw any of these three foreign cunts in a red shirt. Two out of three wouldn't be bad but no way all three were good enough for Aberdeen.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

I've no particular preference for either, happy to watch them both and appreciate what each one brings to the table.

Maybe an obvious thing to say but they are different types of players.  Every now and then the TV pundits have this debate about who is best but it is a bit like saying is Joe Lewis better than Kenny McLean - they both offer something different to the team.

I've always thought that Messi had more natural born ability but that Ronaldo has trained/practiced so much that he has got as much out of his body and career that he possibly could have.

If both were Scottish and we had a penalty to win the world cup I think I would want Ronaldo to step up.  :thumbsup: