Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

World’s best buttery

Lencarl

Bakers are being invited to put their recipes to the test at the inaugural World Buttery Championship this summer at the North East Scotland College in Aberdeen. Organisers, Slow Food Aberdeen City and Shire, are asking amateur and professional cooks to serve up their own versions of the North-east staple.

The buttery – also known as a rowie or roll

I always call it a Buttery unlike other folk who prefer Rowie.  :wave:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the best rowie is supposed to taste like,the best one Ive ever had was last week from the wee sandwich shop on Esslemont Av,on the corner of Northfield St,or place. Flaky,with a wee bit of a crunch(might just have been stale). Was affa fine though.Nae sure of the supplier.

Ah'll nip back and see if it wasnt a fluke....

Whatever the best rowie is supposed to taste like,the best one Ive ever had was last week from the wee sandwich shop on Esslemont Av,on the corner of Northfield St,or place. Flaky,with a wee bit of a crunch(might just have been stale). Was affa fine though.Nae sure of the supplier.

Ah'll nip back and see if it wasnt a fluke....

A long time since I've been there but for a while they were getting fae the bread maker on Rosemount viaduct. They do/did fantastic ones. Fair size too. Much better than the aitkens like, that seemed to be more mythical than good. Trading on previous glories. However, that might be harsh as i haven't had one fae them in a good nummer of years.

Murdochs used to be the best.

Aitkens still are but only one batch out of five ( I think auld Jimmy must only work on a Friday night or something)

Thains, once wonderful late at night from the bakery round the back, have made leaps forward recently since they were taken over and now rival Aitkens.

Aitkens are the best by a country mile, but I'm a born and bred Torry loon, so I would say that. Also they make different types, so best to ask for your preference when buying.

Lows the baker weren't too bad either.

I see Aitkens have closed or closing their shops outwith their bakery in Glenbervie Road, I do hope they aren't going out of business.

See all those rowies they're making noo with black pudding and bacon and other shite through them? Get them all right to fuck. give me a proper old school rowie toasted. Get the jam to fuck as well and just put some (more) butter on it.

Home made raspberry jam on a salty rowie mmmmmmmm

Personally I was always a devotee of dairylee on a roll.

Aye, dairylee was good on a roll and I also liked a cheese slice on them as well, that shitty stuff you put on cheeseburgers. I also used to like dipping them in a cup of coffee and make sandwiches out of them.

Dairylea, like Philadelphia (and Quiche actually) are for poofs. These are not foodstuffs for men.

I don't know why I've always thought this. Perhaps the consistency of it might be used as a lubricant, I don't fucking know.

Aye, it's bumming oil.

Noticed some butteries(ok,rowies then) in Herds the butchers of all places.Asked them where they got them,they said they make their own  :eek:.

Admiring their British entrepreneurial spirit,I splashed out on a couple,........  but have to say they were no more than average at best  :-\.

Next stop is the much fabled Aitken rowie.