Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Pittodrie pitch

Dundee defender Darren O'Dea has branded Aberdeen's Pittodrie pitch a "disgrace" and says he feels sorry for the Dons players who have to play on it.

A lot has been said regarding the awful state our pitch.

I know it is the same for both sides but if you have more skilful players it must be fustrating to play on it.

Really has to be sorted out for next season even if it means an artifical surface of some sorts.

I think the 50-50 that we did a few years back is the best option, which is what we'll do. Unfortunately we're always going to have bad weather, and it seems to be more and more unpredictable too. If anything it advocates a move to summer fitba. The winter break certainly wasn't long enough to allow Pittodrie's surface to improve. It's why I've said for years that we need a big centre forward (ala Stockley) specifically for this time of year. Even the Tims were punting it long against us for large parts of our last game here. Our players have shown that they can play some really nice fitba on a good pitch, but they can't be expected to keep that same level of performance with such a sub-standard surface. It has to be a change in style over this period. I don't see Pittodrie recovering at any point this season either, it looks done.

The club aint gonna spend any more on the pitch than they absolutely have to, given that in just over 2 years time we will be in a brand new stadium.

Sure I read somewhere that the reason the pitch is always poor by mid season is the closeness to the sea, the soil is just too salty and wet to withstand the rigours of 22 players running jumping and sliding all over it every second week. With the new ground being a lot further inland these problems should be alleviated.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

It's why I've said for years that we need a big centre forward (ala Stockley) specifically for this time of year. Even the Tims were punting it long against us for large parts of our last game here.

Has big Sam completed his suspension yet?  Get him in.  In fact, Cosgrove could be just what Maynard has been needing.  Could be the next Keegan and Toshack.  :hammer:    :rofl:

Sure I read somewhere that the reason the pitch is always poor by mid season is the closeness to the sea, the soil is just too salty and wet to withstand the rigours of 22 players running jumping and sliding all over it every second week. With the new ground being a lot further inland these problems should be alleviated.

I'm 95% certain that's bollocks.

I'm 99.37% certain that's bollocks.

The international game up here killed the pitch. It had 4/5 days’ worth of continuous use and never recovered – home & away used it for training then the game itself.

It will be interesting to see if we have anymore up here due to the condition of the pitch. I know they said no more rugby due this happening a few years ago. I don’t also think we get a huge amount, if anything really for hosting the game.

We’ve also apparently bought 5 more sun lamps to help with growing the grass seed on the pitch, but if we keep getting cold snaps like we have I have no idea how much they will help.

The Pittodrie surface never had time to bed in properly after being relaid at the start of this season.

It had 6 weeks growing time when that type of surface needs 10 weeks to be ready for the rigours of a Scottish season.

It could be argued that the most important signing of the summer would be a new pitch.

Aberdeen have now state of the Art lighting to solve their pitch problem. A six-figure investment for 1,000-watt rigs like the ones used by Real Madrid will help the grass grow. Anything that helps is a good step forward.

This is a case for letting the grass grow under your feet... :wave:

Aberdeen have now state of the Art lighting to solve their pitch problem. A six-figure investment for 1,000-watt rigs like the ones used by Real Madrid will help the grass grow. Anything that helps is a good step forward.

This is a case for letting the grass grow under your feet... :wave:

:D

I noticed they were also advertising for an assistant groundsman yesterday  :rofl: