Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Family History

Alright folks, now before I begin, I have to categorically make you aware that I am a tight fisted b'stard and don't earn enough to fork out for Ancestry website etc...

In saying that, I have been told numerous times that there are free, accurate ones available, so interested to see if anyone on here has managed to trace their roots/ancestors etc.... from a different site? My Dad unfortunately suffers from Pseudo Dementia and obviously can't remember certain things so I am really trying to trace it all myself. Papa recently passed away and my Gran suffers full blown dementia, so I don't have many options to turn too.

Any guidance, as always, would be enormously appreciated.

If you're local then "Scotlands People" is the best.

Mrs Donsdaft did some work on mine a few years ago, you pay when you want to download stuff (birth certificates etc.)

Most of it's free down at the library though.

Actually they are very helpful down there, they will help you get started.

If you're local then "Scotlands People" is the best.

Mrs Donsdaft did some work on mine a few years ago, you pay when you want to download stuff (birth certificates etc.)

Most of it's free down at the library though.

Actually they are very helpful down there, they will help you get started.

DD, many, many thanks man.

Already discovered my Papa's D.0.B, his place of birth, when he and my Gran got married and I have just ordered there Marriage Certificate for £12!!! And I am hoping that a marriage certificate would show their parents details?? Already excited about this, Thank you so much  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I couldn't say how much these certificates cost on Scotland's People

Get a card from the library, they used to do good deals on a first card then just top it up.

You get so many points and it costs so many points when you print stuff off.

I think it's only a couple of quid a time.

Free at the library I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used https://www.familysearch.org/ in the past and found it very good. It's run by the Church of the Latter Day Saints but you would never know that going through the site. They don't try and convert you or anything..... My last name is Duguid, so it was easier to find relatives with having a less used last name. Not sure how you will go if your last name is Smith or Jones... I managed to go back to the 1600's just using free sites.

I've used https://www.familysearch.org/ in the past and found it very good. It's run by the Church of the Latter Day Saints but you would never know that going through the site. They don't try and convert you or anything..... My last name is Duguid, so it was easier to find relatives with having a less used last name. Not sure how you will go if your last name is Smith or Jones... I managed to go back to the 1600's just using free sites.

Do you have any relations in Alford/Keig area of Aberdeenshire by any chance  ???