Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Neil Lennon

LA-Don

Was intrigued by him as potentially our manager when I though McInnes was off to the huns. Now being linked with the Scotland job, curious to know peoples thoughts. Think it was Rodgers that commented and Lennon is flattered with the suggestion and didn't shoot it down.

Would be happy for him as a national team manager. Reasonably respected and knows the Scottish game, plus it weakens Hibs. Other than that, who? McLeish? What's peoples thoughts on Lennon for Scotland?

He is an odious little shit but I'd absolutely take him to replace McInnes if/when he leaves or gets punted. Lennon has the correct attitude to facing the arse cheeks and seems able to instil it into his players which DM seems to fail to do consistently.

As regards the Scotland job.....can't see it being a realistic goer. He would never be accepted by the sevconian masses and would get booed or worse for the entire duration of a match. Too much baggage.

I don't get the Lennon love in. He's a whiney little fuck who Deek has got the better of on numerous occasions, most notably the recent tanking. Overrated little wankpiece.

I don't "love" Lennon but allow me to try to educate you. You obviously have no comprehension on why some do rate him. Firstly we need to correct your misunderstanding.

McInnes didn't outsmart or out-think Lennon last month in the 4-1. We had a rare great pass from McLean to GMS and a simple cut back for the first and some schoolboy errors from them (including a standard Ambrose fuck up) in the first half to gift GMS two goals and a safe 3 points. It wasn't management tactical nous that won that game. It was the bigger club and the bigger budget doing what it was supposed to do, fulfilling its bookies favourite tag aided by some utterly incompetent individual errors. GMS's winner at Easter Road wasn't managerial excellence either.

The reason why some like Lennon is that he is a man. Unlike McInnes, he doesn't give a fuck about cultivating a perma-tan nor coiffuring his hair or beard. Unlike McInnes, he doesn't prioritise his press image nor does he care about PR and he certainly doesn't suck his boss's dick.

Lennon is a winner, a proven winner over many years. He aches to win and wouldn't think twice about grabbing McCoist's throat in his passion for prevailing. I don't know how good or bad a manager he might be but I do know he's got a far superior track record in being a winner than McInnes could ever aspire to, and is a far superior man where I'm starting to wonder if McInnes has any testicles at all.

I don't "love" Lennon but allow me to try to educate you. You obviously have no comprehension on why some do rate him. Firstly we need to correct your misunderstanding.

I do, I just don't agree.

McInnes didn't outsmart or out-think Lennon last month in the 4-1.

Yes he did, we completely dominated them from the kick off. We had the better of them in every position and could have scored more

We had a rare great pass from McLean to GMS and a simple cut back for the first and some schoolboy errors from them (including a standard Ambrose fuck up) in the first half to gift GMS two goals and a safe 3 points. It wasn't management tactical nous that won that game. It was the bigger club and the bigger budget doing what it was supposed to do, fulfilling its bookies favourite tag aided by some utterly incompetent individual errors. GMS's winner at Easter Road wasn't managerial excellence either.

That's what happened at Ibrox, but it was the lack of belief instilled in the players that was blamed. The difference between us and hibs is similar to that between us and the huns.

The reason why some like Lennon is that he is a man. Unlike McInnes, he doesn't give a fuck about cultivating a perma-tan nor coiffuring his hair or beard. Unlike McInnes, he doesn't prioritise his press image nor does he care about PR and he certainly doesn't suck his boss's dick.

Ha ha, fair doos.

Lennon is a winner, a proven winner over many years. He aches to win and wouldn't think twice about grabbing McCoist's throat in his passion for prevailing. I don't know how good or bad a manager he might be but I do know he's got a far superior track record in being a winner than McInnes could ever aspire to, and is a far superior man where I'm starting to wonder if McInnes has any testicles at all.

Again, going back to your original point about being better, Lennon was just a better footballer. That's all. McInnes captained West Brom to Championship victory and in the Premiership. Captained Utd, Millwall and St Johnstone too. That's a lot of captaincy for someone who isn't a winner. Or a lot of mistakes by subsequent managers.

I think McInnes could do much better, but I think we're struggling personnel wise this season. We had a lot of re-building this season (Hayes alone against the huns midweek would have massive difference), and I think that meant we struggled to get players in the positions we actually needed to strengthen in. I just don't think we're as good as we were last season, but the fact that we have more points is testament to McInnes. We've ground out a lot of points this season that previous managers wouldn't have won us, and Lennon hasn't with hibs.

There's so many points of disagreement between us on this point it's probably best just to agree to disagree.

You saw the "domination" of Hibs as a management masterstroke whereas I saw it as perfect timing to get them, immediately after their brave and excellent performances v. Celtic and Rangers. It was also the best AFC performance I've seen at Pittodrie this century and in any period, there is a best and a worst.

Lennon won 3 in a row as Celtic manager, he won League Cups at Leicester as a player and tons of trophies as a player with Celtic. I don't think McInnes being captain of a team with no prospect of ever winning stuff is in the same ballpark. Their playing careers are incomparable but I wasn't meaning to compare these apples v. grapefruits. I was only reacting to your saying that you didn't understand why some people rate him. I think the biggest difference between the two is personality-based. One has displayed hunger his whole career and has got results. One is only happy to be employed and is engineering a career for himself.

Interestingly, Lennon may have plateaued as a manager. Having taken them up to the top flight, what more can he possibly do? As he showed in consecutive weeks last month, he can still put out a team to do a great job v. the biggest that Scotland has to offer.

• 9 months later...

Struck by a coin by a Jambo after telling the crowd to calm down after hearts had a goal disallowed.  Some fud on the radio saying that he brought it on himself as a result.  I disagree, if you're going to give it out suck it up when you get it back.

Lennon acts like a petulant child, he was goading the Hearts fans, he wasn't just telling them to calm down. Such a venomous atmosphere and he should be able to act like more of an adult. Not exactly an isolated incident with him, is it? Every single manager gets stick in Football, it's part and parcel, no different from a player being abused when he goes to collect a ball for a corner or throw in from the opposition set of fans.

Of course I don't agree that he should be assaulted physically, but I will say that the majority of his incidents have been self inflicted, and now he'll be the media darling, looked like the Hearts GK was assaulted as well by the way, never got a good enough look at that one, but still looked like he got assaulted. The powers that be can't condemn the Lennon incident whilst ignore that one.

EDIT -Can't believe that I am agreeing with Gary Caldwell, but even he agrees that Lennon brings it on himself, and I'd imagine they're friends off the pitch, nothing to base that on, just an assumption.

"I think he brings a lot of it on himself. Whoever throws something from a stand should be ejected immediately but Neil Lennon was goading the fans as that goal got disallowed. As managers, coaches, players, we have to have a level of professionalism to not incite that and I think at times he does."

Yep, I think Caldwell summed it up nicely. What Lennon fails to understand is the difference between people saying he deserved it and those saying he brought it on himself. He absolutely does not deserve to be coined. He understands the atmosphere in the derby games and made a conscious decision to interact with the fans at the height of the tensions. He needs to understand that there is risk in that.

Hearts goalkeeper was punched twice. Clear footage on Tv so shouldn't be difficult for Edinburgh old bill to identify and nick the perpetrator.

As for Lennon, for sure he was winding up the Hearts fans. I've got no problem with that whatsoever, he takes plenty flak and if you give it out then you have to expect it back in return. But the SFA will probably hit him with a trumped up charge resulting in a touchline ban and a hefty fine. The arsehole who threw the coin might be harder to find than the Hibs thug but hopefully he will up before the beak in the coming days too.

I dare say he'd been taking constant abuse for 90 minutes like he claimed. If I had been standing in earshot of him I'd feel duty bound to abuse the cunt too but unlike most football fans who have issues dealing with their emotions and quickly default into neanderthal mode I'd not be foaming at the mouth with rage when he gets (and takes) the opportunity to get it right up us in return. Same with Kris Boyd. I'm only too happy to call the fat cunt a fat cunt but if he scores and gets it right up us I have to take that on the chin and won't be seen screaming at the ref to book him for winding up the fans. Pathetic fuds. Fans asking for bookings for players "goading" them or fans that throw coins or punches at players and staff are very much in the wrong no matter what's happening on the park. Having said that I had to fight the urge to go and belt Flanagan on Sunday.

14640289.jpg-e1529774486878-900x540.jpg

What I don't understand is why Lennon (and the Hearts keeper for that matter) hit the deck like a sack of tatties when they got struck. If these incidents happened in a pub there'd no fucking danger they'd go anywhere near the deck. I hate the "hit the deck" culture that's infected all of football recently. I dare say it was sair but for (a supposedly hard cunt like) Lennon to be laid flat out by this incident is almost as pathetic as the perpetrator.

He's a prick.

...and he tells lies about Aberdeen fans.

Can't really argue with either of your points above

BUT

there is NO excuse for anyone having coins thrown at them in the manner of what happened on Wednesday night regardless of how big a prick they might be. In the same vein, the assault of the Hearts goalkeeper is completely out of order and the folk behind these incidents have just ensured there is no way I'm going to be able to enjoy a pint at a football match in Scotland EVER again.

• 3 years later...