Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons - jags 27/12

After the predictable disappointment of the game against the dhimmery and the coveninent result at stybrox (again proof that others are helping the league be more competitive than we are), we need a win. I expect us to win this one as the jags are truly awful this season, despite a few freak results. Play like we can and we have nothing to fear. Are our injury concerns supposed to have eased by then? At least we’ll have christie back.

Out

Bed

Hopefully watching on redtv

Dog sitting

2-0 dons, Rooney and shinnie

Play Maynard for 70 minutes. If he doesnt score , punt him in January.

Also, this game is crying out for the youngsters to get a good run.

Ross and wright to get plenry game time.

Stewart, Maynard and christie.

3-0.

Drop Mclean and Rooney for this one.

It's quite obvious you have never seen the guy play in the flesh with your continued backing of him. He may have once had something as a football player, but it is long gone, another McInnes gamble which has failed and cost another young kid game time. We would have been better off keeping Stockley than signing Maynard.

Anyway, back to the game, We always get tough games against Thistle and cannot see tomorrow being any different. I hope McKenna is back for this as Reynolds is in the same bracket as Maynard for me, a player who has long lost the ability to play football at a decent level, unfortunatley we gave him a new 3 year deal.

McLean would be out for me also, but so thin is our squad I doubt this will happen, I would certainly get rid of him in January.

I'll leave the selection though to the great Pittodrie tombola and hope we do enough to get the three points.

Looking forward to it and predict a 1-0 win for us and couldn't give a flock who scores it.

A cheat?

Explain?

I'll explain. He deliberately runs where he knows he's not going to get the ball, because when he does get it he panics and gets it caught in his feet. He makes it look like he's putting in effort, while all the time hiding from the ball. He never makes a run which will put him in a good position as he'll get found out (it even happened against hibs at 4-0 up at home when he could have played with a cigar in his mouth). He's a complete charlatan, as I and others have tried to explain. I'd rather we dragged McLennan back fae Brechin and told him to dick about for 20 minutes a game. Maynard has to be shifted in January, it's not fair on either party for him to stay. He needs to go and re-learn his fitba somewhere much lower down that the SPL (I said after his first two games that he'd be playing non-league fitba next, and he's proved that right), anything else would be unfair on himself and whoever signs him based on playing a few games for West Ham once.

We should play 4-6 Levein style.

We would beat everyone.

Whilst it was a joke, I don't actually disagree to an extent. At 1-0 down vs the Tims, we had so few options on the bench it was impossible. Given that Maynard is the answer to nothing (other than: which fitba'r joined the dons in 2017, scoring 0 goals in 600 miinutes before being paid off in January?), we should have been a bit more creative in our thinking. Whilst I wouldn't have played 0 strikers, I would definitely have played either Stewart or McLean in the striker position, allowing Wright or Ross to come on earlier. I'd have done the same in the Apollon game away instead of playing either Stockley or Maynard. There comes a time when you have to understand that playing a player out of position can still be better than playing a shite player in that position, and that's what McInnes has to do with striker. I find it strange that he's happy to play Shinnie in midfield and Considine at left back when neither are their strongest position, but he recognises that they're better than the other options in those areas, but that he won't consider playing a player in the striker role for the same reasons. Playing Maynard just because he happens to have "striker" labelled on his CV won't make him anymore of a striker.

I hope McKenna is back for this as Reynolds is in the same bracket as Maynard for me, a player who has long lost the ability to play football at a decent level,

Reynolds did a job against the Tims, he played alright. Several times he came across and cleared up, as he did unfortunately for their second. I'd have McKenna everyday, but Reynolds is reasonable squad backup without being brilliant. He's an intelligent tee-total, hard working professional too, which might just be good for the squad and a decent example to the youngsters, which is possibly why he got the deal. He's easily good enough for 90 minutes against Partick and most other SPL opposition. It's further up the park where we're not winning the games, but I expect that won't be an issue against Partick either.

Am I right in saying Rooney has scored 5 goals in just over 17 hours of football this season?

That's just awful.

Not getting the service?

I don't mean to get on his back but with those statistics, maybe we should punt Rooney too.

Why is nobody suggesting he's passed it too?

I really hope DM is addressing this issue in January.

And why are we told about board members with hundreds of millions when we aren't willing to spend any money on better players?

Our ambitions are shite if I'm honest.

What are other's views on our ambitions?

I mean we are the second best in a shite league yes but surely we can better ourselves so much.

EUROPAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Statistics never tell the full picture. A striker with a low goals ratio is either squandering good chances or is not getting into the positions to score. If he’s not getting into positions then his instinct and reading of the game is broken or he’s not being supplied with any decent chances.

It’s therefore A and/or B, and B is B1 and/or B2.

Rooney is definitely not A - a squanderer - but Maynard is B1.

And every footballer at AFC suffers B2 cos our midfield isn’t good enough and we don’t create enough chances.

B1, the ability to get into the right positions includes fitness of course, a handicap that May and Rooney suffer, neither of them being anywhere close to their physical potential. Maynard, as Rico’s argument goes, doesn’t want to get into position in the first place as he knows he’s the king of A, the squandering master.

As a striker you either score goals or you dont.

If you dont get the supply, you can at least make your own chances.

If you're a 6 yard tap in player not getting the supply then either be dropped or come back a bit...pick the ball up and try make your own chances.

This season, Rooney is pish.

As fans you can have loyalty to your favourite players but bias cannot hide the facts.

Im not biased towards Maynard.i just want him to play 70 minutes as a last chance saloon.we can risk it easily in the Partick game.

If he's utter mince for even the first half then bin him.he's had his chances then i'd say.

As a striker you either score goals or you dont.

If you dont get the supply, you can at least make your own chances.

If you're a 6 yard tap in player not getting the supply then either be dropped or come back a bit...pick the ball up and try make your own chances.

This season, Rooney is pish.

As fans you can have loyalty to your favourite players but bias cannot hide the facts.

Im not biased towards Maynard.i just want him to play 70 minutes as a last chance saloon.we can risk it easily in the Partick game.

If he's utter mince for even the first half then bin him.he's had his chances then i'd say.

You're completely biased towards Maynard though. He shouldn't get 70 minutes because we don't need to risk it. There's no part of his game that has shown he's worth 70 minutes. Cammy Smith is a better player and showed more in the similar game-time he got and he's - deservedly - at St Mirren.

You then seem to be mistaking our suggestion of Maynard's unworthiness of lacing Rooney's boots as bias towards Rooney. It's not. Rooney has been poor this season by his own standard. It's just that Maynard is really fucking gash.

If you look back to last January's transfer window threads you'll see me and others arguing that striker was the most important position on the park for us to get sorted. I think everyone recognises Rooney's abilities and limitations. None of that is ever an excuse to play someone as turgid as Maynard.

Rooney.......despite his many obvious limitations.......will get goals in a team that has width and uses that width to fire in crosses.

Maynard.......no idea how to set up a team that he will get goals in. Sadly neither does DM. And as for punting him in January.......well there has to be a team somewhere that is prepared to

a) Offer to take him off our hands

b) Offer him terms attractive enough for him to feck off 6 months early.....

I suspect we will be pretty much paying up his contract in order to get him off our books therefore.....

Am I right in saying Rooney has scored 5 goals in just over 17 hours of football this season?

That's just awful.

Not getting the service?

I don't mean to get on his back but with those statistics, maybe we should punt Rooney too.

Why say that when you know that's exactly what you're doing?

The one massive thing you're missing here is that Rooney has scored a shitload of goals for us. And as a result of that, has credit in the bank.  I'm a huge fan of Rooney, but I would concede that he's looking like a shadow of his former self just now - partly, I think, because he looks a bit bulky and partly because he wants the ball delivered from a wide position which we do so rarely now.

Either way, he has done the job for us and therefore deserves respect.

Nicky Maynard has done nothing for us. And perhaps more importantly, looks like doing nothing for us.  There is no glimmer of hope there.

There is no credit in the bank with him.  So please, stop comparing the fans attitudes with him and Rooney. 

It's like comparing Gary Hackett to Peter Weir for fucks sake. 

Rooney’s last goal, only 2 weeks ago, was proof of his value.

Give him a sniff, he doesn’t often miss.

That was one of my favourite Rooney goals. He had a lot to do. He did it.

He is a journeyman striker who’s sell-by date is imminent.

But he’s been a great servant and he’s not dead yet.

Maynard on the other hand has never been born.

The reason im mentioning maynard is because he's the only other option as a striker unless we have Stewart play the role with May.

It could be anyone tbh if they were a striker as the other 2 arent scoring either.

Maybard for the most part has come off the bench with 10 minutes to go...12 minutes...15..etc.

Give the lad ONE chance at Pittodrie for say 70 minutes against Partick and see what he does.

I actually do see talent in him and maybe he hides due to his lack of confidence.

What better way to give him confidence than to say "ok Nicky, heres your chance, go get a goal son" tomorrow.

Rooney i really like but he's been so inneffective this season.

He has plenty support as he should but i'm simply comparing his gashness to that of Maynards and even may's in terms of scoring goals.

Thats my argument...not whether one player is better than the other. Its all about goals and not one is scoring many or any.

How about Stewart up front with May when he's back.

Stewart has the ability at least to dribble past a player from outside the box and shoot at goal.something we badly need.

I'd try this for the Partick game

Lewis

Logan arnason mckenna shinnie

Oconnor mclean

Ross christie gms

Stewart (replaced with rooney or maynard)

Won't happen though.

Whilst Rooney has not set the world on fire this season I would put the blame firmly at the door of McInnes for that one. Rooney scores goals from chances set up by the team, which we haven't really been doing this season. He battles hard and can hold the ball up reasonably well, but when it comes to finishing he has been one of our best, but he is not a winger or provider and at his stage in his career is never going to adapt.

Due to work not making this one. Stupid time to have a game. Christie being back tonight should help tonight and hopefully a few of the others are back as well. Need to get back on track so winning this and game against maroon spoon burners on Saturday is essential going into the winter break.

Oot

Work

Flat

Work

2-0 Rooney and McLean