Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dons Gone Bad

Is there any Dons players who you've really liked but ended up hating (perhaps too strong) and hoping for them to leave?

I saw Seabass mention Zander Diamond (with what seemed like affection) in another thread and i thought 'i can't stand that cunt' but then remembered the day when i told my mates that if we had 11 Zander Diamonds we'd be in a much better position. This was in the darkest, direst of days mind. By the time he left i was calling him for everything, useless Plug look-a-like cart horse!

Ryan Jack is the same. I remember bigging him up on AbMad declaring him to be our new Simmie but for at least the last 2 seasons i wanted him to GTF.

That's it i think, the rest i've either never liked from the start or always liked them.  :smile:

Followed closely by Stephen Wright (who never got the same amount of vitriol as Robertson did)

Think that might in some way be explained away by th fact that we got £1.5m for him and he spent virtually all his time with them injured and playing only a few games for them so he was never in our faces :dunno:

As an aside to my post above, I see Wright is a HUN again as he joined NewCo as a coach earlier his year ::)

Played less than 50 games after leaving the dons. Staggering really. That'll teach the cunt. Mine he scored against Partick fae the half way line for us. Was a fantastic player.

I was actually meaning, which players have you initially likes but then turned against before they've even left the club.

But just to add to the Stevie Wright subject... i remember thinking how the fuck we'd ever replace Leighton in goals and then along came Theo, same rules apply for McKimmie! Wright was great for us imo.

I have to admit, I rarely "turn against" a dons player. I make up my mind pretty quickly if I don't like them and usually either stick to it or start to like them despite their shiteness (Ash Taylor the most recent of those).

I also try and see the circumstances that they're in and not try and see everything in black and white. Aluko was a good example, I just didn't get the hate for the guy. He was inconsistent like many in his position (see McGinn) and looked like he was permanently unhappy (see McGinn), but he was still a great player on his day, or if you could at all get the ball to him quickly. He was playing under the fucking drain that is McGhee and was often just given the ball and expected to do something without the support of his teammates. We made no attempt whatsoever to play to his strengths. Moreover, these guys are loons in their 20s and early 30s. I don't expect them to be mature, committed or consistently good. I canna hold a grudge, I'm a fucking adult (when I choose to be) and I try and give them the benefit of the doubt in every game for as long as possible (two minutes in Maynard's case). You never know a player's mental capacity, what's happening behind the scenes or even the instructions he's given on the pitch, so I tend to reserve my thoughts for the manager, who's responsible for the cunts. Even then it's difficult to hate that much, such is the up-and-downness of fitba.

I didnae dislike Flood, and thought he was very professional, but I thought we could have done without him in his last 6 months with the dons and was glad when he left. That's the most recent one I can think of.

That's definitely a very balanced summary there Rico. I struggle with balance when it comes to my fitba tho.  :gonk:

Aye, it was overly sensible. Tommy Wright's a good example though. I made up my mind in the first second of seeing that fairmer taking to the pitch that he was a fucking awful fitba'r, so I never really got the chance to not hate him.

Stockley fits the bill perfectly though, I knew there'd be one. I thought he could be an asset, especially in the winter games with rutted pitches, and he looked okay(ish) in a couple of games early doors. Whilst I couldn't really hate the guy, I very much wanted him to leave because we needed to be doing much better. Although Magennis would also fit that description, despite us not having replaced him with anyone better to date.

Have to admit,I thought Darren Mackie had something about him when I first saw him away at 'Well.Think he 'could' have been a good player,but his ego got the better of him IMO,Thats what annoyed me most about him

Only player Ive come close to booing....

Actually,another is Kevin Rutkiewcz.Saw him upfront in a 4-0 win v Hibs at home,think he scored a goal.Also thought he had potential.Canna mind why he didnt get an extended run upfront(probable shiteyness?),but some of his performances at L/B were up there with the worst Ive seen.

Oh I hated Zander diamond in his last season. Couldn’t wait for him to fuck off. Had such high hopes for him and then he believed his own hype and transfer speculation.

Amazed no one has mentioned Dickie foster yet...I’ll never forget his goal at the midweek Motherwell game but towards then end and then signing for the Hun. What a cunt. Never the most blessed of players, but usually have his all and I wished him well but all that changed

I really haven't had a strong dislike for anyone. As much as McGhee was a knob I have fond memories of him being our player and contributing to our success. A little different but Strachan was my childhood hero so it was really tough for me seeing his arrogance as Scotland manager, but I never disliked the guy for it.

I never rated Jack as a player so didn't care that he went to Rangers, much like I won't care if McLean goes there. Robertson and Wright were two of the best fullbacks I ever saw play for us so was more sad to see them go. Didn't care that Dougie Bell or Neale Cooper went there either, and both of them were miles better than Jack or McLean. Funnily, I never really liked Jim Bett because he played for rangers but obviously he was a super player.

I hated Gary Smith during the end of the Alex Miller spell, when he wondered about looking like he wanted to die, but then I hated most of that team at various points. I didn't mind him the first time around but when he came back it seemed different.

Never liked Darren Mackie, an absolute shite player who was nothing without his pace, and stayed far too long. I had hopes to begin with.

As soon as Jim Hamilton stepped on the pitch in 1999 (even though he scored plenty at Hearts) I knew he was shite and we were going to get humped.

Guys who went to the huns/tims I don't really mind, their choice who they want to play for and we clearly didn't offer the incentive to stay.