Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Kris Boyd's Scotland Squad Opinion

SeeBass

I see Mr Boyd is having his say on why Shinnie and McLean are in the Scotland squad!!!  Something about trying to sell tickets with it being at Pittodrie and that both aren't good enough to even lace Scott Brown, Stuart Armstrong or Callum McGregor's boots.  This kind of arrogance really should be rid from life in general not just football. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're mistaking arrogance for opinion. He backs it up with the fact that Shinnie was completely bossed by Brown in our last meeting, and McLean by either of Armstrong or MacGregor. It's fair game I'd say.

He's entirely correct, also. That said, Shinnie has been excellent for a few years now and worthy of inclusion. There is also nothing particularly insidious about playing local players in a friendly match with a new manager. I don't see the issue, and I don't believe it will make Scotland a "laughing stock" as he suggests. Boyd was pish for Scotland, and wasn't nearly the standard we required (especially later in his career), so it's maybe slightly hypocritical if anything. He completely lacks in an intelligent and informed suggestion as to how to move Scottish football forward and improve the national team. In my opinion - and with good reason - that has to start in the country of origin. If that is helped by playing SPFL players, then play them. It's a shame we couldn't have seen him challenged in a two-way conversation where he could develop his argument slightly. These "interviews" where a player/manager/ex-player etc. is prompted to spew-forth utter shite (or not) without reply are pathetic. It's like the journalist is saying "I don't understand fitba, you tell me what I'm supposed to think". I don't think it's specific to fitba, but it's certainly prevalent.

Scott Brown is a far superior footballer to anything we have had at AFC this century.

That’s just a no contest situation. Unfortunately.

The pathos in attempting to compare Shinnie to Brown is this;

Shinnie has never been played consistently in his natural position.

He’s the best footballer at AFC by a street longer than Great Western Road, let alone Union Street.

Unfortunately he’s been deployed mostly in a position to hide McInnes’s inadequacies.

We all called it way before the pie muncher even spoke a word to his ghost writer. It was a cynical move by those who control our game. That's not to say they didn't deserve it before but it's not really been justified this time round. Or at least not for the likely reasons.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Shinnie seems to be unlucky in that as good a player as he is, he is in an era where he may struggle to get caps.  I like him best when he's at left back but the queue for that position is mounting.

Have to say though there have been a few cases where it looked like someone would be a shoe-in for Scotland for years then for one reason or another, injuries, loss of form etc they fell out of the picture.  It's easy to think Tierney and Robertson have the left back slot nailed down for the next decade but it may not necessarily be the case.

Much though I hate to "agree" with Boyd, I don't think Shinnie is an international class central midfielder.  Time will tell though and I hope to be proved wrong.

Christie must be given a chance in my view.  His brain seems to see things 10 minutes before anyone else in the Dons team and he is pure class.  One of the best players to pull on a Dons shirt in the last 25 years.  Hope he gets a chance on Thursday and plays a blinder.

Is McLean good enough to become a regular in the Scotland team - not so sure.

Not sure?

McLean is lucky to get a game at club level never mind international level.

Shinnie's in the wrong era, we don't need any more left backs.

When you look back at some Dons players who only got a few caps it's incredible.

But if there's a Hun fullback as a possibility then the likes of Stuart Kennedy wasn't getting a game.

Joe Harper was top scorer in Europe at one point but wasn't getting a look in.

It has to be said though that the Scotland team and it's organisation has always been a shambles.

Much though I hate to "agree" with Boyd, I don't think Shinnie is an international class central midfielder.  Time will tell though and I hope to be proved wrong.

Christie must be given a chance in my view.  His brain seems to see things 10 minutes before anyone else in the Dons team and he is pure class.  One of the best players to pull on a Dons shirt in the last 25 years.  Hope he gets a chance on Thursday and plays a blinder.

Is McLean good enough to become a regular in the Scotland team - not so sure.

Agree re Shinnie in Midfield. Good to Very good but not international class. He is an excellent LB but as you say, very strong competition for that position right now.

Agree Christie needs to be given a chance. Very Good to Excellent midfield player although prone to the odd going absent.

No way McLean.

The only other point to make though is:

Barry fucking Bannan

The point being is that "International Class" is meaningless. You just have to be better than the shite that gets in the team. Shinnie is better than Bannan, and as is McLean on his day. Christie definitely so.

Chris fucking Martin

He's a horses arse.

Steven Fletcher

etc.

I still think Boyd is correct, however he does gloss over the fact that there is a lot of dross being picked simply because they play for championship side X. To promote the game in this country by offering a clear path from the SPFL to the Scotland squad is a valuable exercise if it is only at the expense of second rate English English Championship players. From that perspective, I see no issue with the inclusion of Dandies/Hibs players, however that strategy needs to be explicit and form part of a bigger set of ideas. As it stands, Boyd's tokenism accusation is correct.

It would be a right bitter bastard who begrudged SHinnie a Scotland cap and funnily enough it is usually bitter ex huns who spew out this shyte. Boyd this week in the papers and I heard Alex Rae say the same thing on Off The Ball, 2 weeks ago.  The guy has been a very consistent SPL player for a number of seasons now and gives us and also gave his former club Caley, a drive and determination which deserves a chance at international level in my opinion.

I believe he will surprise a few if given a chance, maybe even a few bitter ex huns.

I don't really disagree as none of our players this year have been high performers week in week out. McLean isn't good enough although Shinnie and Christie deserve it. Shinnie has been nothing special this year and is back to being bounced between defense and midfield which hurts his form but selection is long overdue. Last year I thought he was excellent in midfield and should have been given a chance. Christie is also inconsistent but he brings much needed flair that I'd like to see him given a chance. The national team badly needs that.

I think it's key to the interest of the national team that we have players from Aberdeen, Hibs, Rangers etc in the squad. Interest in the national team is definitely declining and while mainly due to performance and results, the endless selection of average championship players has hurt interest. I don't think it drastically hurts Scotland performancewise to select John McGinn over Barry Bannan, Armstrong over Morrison, McGregor over McArthur. I'd even say Shinnie over Anya, but I think it definitely increases interest.

Scotland look fresh and sharp. Crisp footwork by many and bright start from Christie. McGregor is class.

The game is passing McLean by, predictably and Berra is a fucking liability. Forrest doesn’t convince me.

Holland are shit so far.

Couldn't really disagree with anything you've said there Rocket.

And just as interest resumes, bang we go one down :(

How unfortunate that our two best young footballers were culpable for their goal.

Shocking give away by C McG but then Tierney was poor anticipating the ball going out behind him.

As the replays showed clearly, they were offside, twice but I can’t fathom what goes on in the McLean brain? Why would you stop tracking the goalscorer going back once they were inside the box?