Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Road Works

gosgka

why have they been aloud to close one lane of the dual carriageway leading in to Aberdeen just for works access to the new A.E.C.C.  the tail backs are massive. why are they not being told to open up the road at peak times so people can get past. No councillors must stay out this way so Grampian council don't give a monkeys. Every time you manage to crawl past no one is doing anything apart from the bastard who is putting out the cones, if everyone else worked as hard as cone boy the job would be finished in a fortnight

It's getting bad when you have to reply to yer ain thread though....

I'll help ye out. The nonsense at Peterculter at the moment is a fucking disgrace. Waited 35 coming over the bridge to go from Blairs side through Peterculter to Westhill. Turning off to Westhill and there were cars queuing beyond that point heading into toon. All because they deemed that traffic lights were the best option for managing traffic over a roundabout. Which seems to be the thing nowadays, and I'm wondering when that change occurred? I certainly think lights can be good in certain situations, but not as the default for everything. What is worse is that they've said they'll get people to monitor the lights and change them to suit the flow of traffic. Fit the fuck? In 21st century, we need a human to go down and check traffic. There's no way of automatically detecting traffic congestion and adjusting the lights dynamically so that traffic flows at 22:00 aren't dictated to by those at 07:30 or 17:00 (i.e. yer nae sitting at a red light when no other cars are on the road), or those on the school holidays are dictated by nae school holidays? If we're going to insist on the "lights are always best approach", then surely to fuck we use the myriad of camera/sensor technologies available to us to make sure that the lights are the absolute best we can be. Anyway, it doesn't bode well for the latest addition to the bypass at the Charleston flyover, which is a set of lights (yet to be turned on as there's nae traffic on the bypass yet) that will inevitably send traffic queuing well back on to the A90. If we've fucked up traffic at Peterculter, fucked it up at Bucksburn and about to fuck it up at Altens, is there any point in a fucking bypass?

I suppose it's something to put a stadium alongside...

Absolutely bugger all wrang with roundabouts except people have to make their own decision when it's safe to go.

Obviously our wonderful new generation couldn't possibly be put in a situation where they would actually have to make a decision in case they burst into tears with the stress of it all.

Much better for us all if we just let a machine decide.

Having said that, traffic lights obviously have their place.

There place however is not replacing roundabouts.

As an aside, the traffic at Peterculter is now much better, but still nae as good as it was with the roundabout. I believe they got a lot of complaints, and responded, which is good. "Re-instate the roonaboots ye cunts" was my complaint.

Radio Yooland this morning had head of Cooter comyoonity cooncil on saying they're petitioning to get the lights taken out and roundabout re-instated as a permanent solution.

Yep, I heard it. There was no mention of a complaint on the Donstalk forum, which was disappointing. The traffic was still shite this morning, but marginally better then a few weeks back and still not as good as pre-lights. As I said earlier in the thread, lights seem to be the absolute go to for traffic management these days, even thought roundabouts are far better. I'd be interested to know if it was my imagination (i.e lights are not more prevalent these days) and, if not, what caused this change? Fa kens?

Yep, I heard it. There was no mention of a complaint on the Donstalk forum, which was disappointing. The traffic was still shite this morning, but marginally better then a few weeks back and still not as good as pre-lights. As I said earlier in the thread, lights seem to be the absolute go to for traffic management these days, even thought roundabouts are far better. I'd be interested to know if it was my imagination (i.e lights are not more prevalent these days) and, if not, what caused this change? Fa kens?

No you're totally right. Even better is when they waste money building a roundabout and then add lights anyway.

In my hometown in holland, they've done away with all traffic lights unless entering / crossing a main road. Roundabouts everywhere.

In my hometown in holland, they've done away with all traffic lights unless entering / crossing a main road. Roundabouts everywhere.

They could easily do that in Aberdeen. Well, not easily, due to space, but they could certainly do away with the vast majority. They should, at the very least, ditch pedestrian crossings and replace with zebras like in other countries. Instead, we have the ridiculous situation of 90% pedestrian crossings with the occasional zebra thrown in for a laugh. I was heading down Cromwell road the other day in toon and suddenly came across a pedestrian passing in front of me. I was so attuned to the (expectation of) lights that I phased out the zebra crossing that I nearly drove through. Lights just seem to attract people who floor it to the next set and slam on their breaks, rather than the more logical driving of coasting between zebra crossings that other european cities seemed to have mastered a bit better. Although, in Spain, they just drive right through both. Which would undoubtedly happen here.