Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Joe Lewis' Standing??

I know we're still early days but where does Big Joe sit in our history of keepers??  Wasn't sure when first arriving.  Knew of him from when at Peterborough United with Darren Ferguson and the success they had together.  Must be most composed stopper in my 26 years as a supporter.  Like Deek says;

"He makes the difficult saves look like meat and drink."

Not really having seen some of our best at their pomp, I think he's like our modern day Kjaer. I loved him as a keeper and Lewis is equally as fantastic if not better. There are moments, of course, which I question, but he wouldn't be with us if there weren't. Was so pleased he signed a new deal in the summer, great acquisition from the club.

I know we're still early days but where does Big Joe sit in our history of keepers??  Wasn't sure when first arriving.  Knew of him from when at Peterborough United with Darren Ferguson and the success they had together.  Must be most composed stopper in my 26 years as a supporter.  Like Deek says;

26 years would cover Snelders and Leighton's second spell with us.

Lewis is a cracking keeper for us but he isn't a patch on either of them.  Would say he's above Kjaer, who was a very good keeper as well but was at the end of his career by the time he got to us.

Like Deek says;

This is where our manager reveals his total ignorance about the art of goalkeeping. He's not alone. The majority of managers don't and neither do the majority of footballers.

Lewis's best saves on Saturday were the one he got down right to prevent it going in bottom left and the tip over the bar going in top right. Neither are "meat and drink". Both were exceptional. "Difficult saves" isn't even viewing it in the right language.

And before the first pedant argues that the one in the second half was his best save, thereby revealing his ignorance of the art too, that one was a pure reaction from point blank range. Yes it was utterly brilliant that Lewis kept it out and it probably was the chance more than the others that was the most unlikely to stop. Those two in the first half required footwork, agility and technical expertise on top of instant decision making. The one in the second half was pure reaction and as always in such point blank situations, the element of fortune favoured him, it being almost too close to do any "deciding", it being too close to make any decisions.

Getting down low to turn it round his right hand post was the best for me. That was breathtaking reactions and the fact it was on the deck made it an even better save, given the ground he had to cover so quickly.

Getting down low to turn it round his right hand post was the best for me. That was breathtaking reactions and the fact it was on the deck made it an even better save, given the ground he had to cover so quickly.

His positioning is fantastic too. He's always standing in the right place at every moment. Saves like the one you mention wouldn't be possible for some keepers, because they'd be so out of position that reaction speed wouldn't make a difference (that's how he made the tip over look so easy too). Lewis gives himself time to make saves by standing correctly in the first place. He reminds me of Craig Gordon in his Hertz days, absolutely phenomenal goalie. I could imagine the Tims upgrading - because it is an upgrade - to Lewis at the end of the season for a very healthy sum. I'd expect £2M plus for someone of Lewis's ability.

In terms of standing, he's up there with Leighton and Snelders and definitely ahead of Kjaer. Leighton was a completely different type of goalie than both Snelders and Lewis so it's difficult to say. I think Snelders edges it over Lewis though. He was more of a unit and wouldn't have looked out of place in any league in the world. Lewis maybe just doesn't have the physical strength which is probably why he wasn't as highly regarded as he should have been down South.

I think he's better than Leighton in that he's a modern keeper. JL struggled to adapt to things like the pass back rule and wasn't great with high balls.  Theo remains the best I ever saw play for us but I think there's a good argument to be made that he's the best since.

His positioning is fantastic too. He's always standing in the right place at every moment. Saves like the one you mention wouldn't be possible for some keepers, because they'd be so out of position that reaction speed wouldn't make a difference (that's how he made the tip over look so easy too). Lewis gives himself time to make saves by standing correctly in the first place.

Yes it is. I guess my "technical expertise" included that but it does deserve mention in its own right. It's strange because positioning is more instinctive than technical and I don't think it can be taught. You either have it or you don't. This is why I couldn't understand us paying all that money for Leighton as GK coach when Clangfool was never going to be close to competent given the alarming deficiencies he had, none of which could have been improved by coaching.

Leighton was better than Snelders in my opinion but Joe may be better than both. He could be offski for £5m+ next year and if he manages to maintain performance levels anywhere close to that standard at Murrayfield, would be worth over £10m. Ok, nobody can be that exceptional every week but he's building up a damn good CV and given how shit we are in defence these days, Joe is going to get plenty of opportunities to shine.

I disagree that he made the tip over "look so easy". Yes he was positioned perfectly but it was a phenomenal reach and not possible by anyone even with only one inch less height, him being clearly at full stretch.

I still have him below Snelders and Leighton and on a par with Clark. As good as his performance was at Murrayfield, at Partick he was dodgy at a couple of goals and he doesnt come for nearly as many cross balls/corners that his physique should allow him to do.

Still think he is the best in the SPFL though and a couple more performances like that on Saturday and English clubs will definitely be making bids if not in January certainly next summer.

Leighton was a legend and will forever be my football hero but Senders was the best keeper I have ever seen play for the Dons. He was the first goalkeeper to be named player of the season in Scotland. (Possibly the only keeper). Kjaer was also fantastic and another great, albeit for a short period, was John 'Budgie' Burridge. All that said, Lewis is shaping up to be THE best. If he continues his form throughout the whole season, there is no reason why he cant get POTY. Also get an England call up.

Leighton was a legend and will forever be my football hero but Senders was the best keeper I have ever seen play for the Dons. He was the first goalkeeper to be named player of the season in Scotland. (Possibly the only keeper). Kjaer was also fantastic and another great, albeit for a short period, was John 'Budgie' Burridge. All that said, Lewis is shaping up to be THE best. If he continues his form throughout the whole season, there is no reason why he cant get POTY. Also get an England call up.

So true Chris.

I saw Leighton for Aberdeen Hibs and Scotland...brilliant

Burridge was fucking incredible at Hibs.

I saw him a few times as my mates were hibees fans and I'd go along to watch Hibs v Aberdeen and sometimes just Hibs and whoever.

His reactions were incredible.

He's so underrated.

But Lewis is a great signing.

I still have him below Snelders and Leighton and on a par with Clark. As good as his performance was at Murrayfield, at Partick he was dodgy at a couple of goals and he doesnt come for nearly as many cross balls/corners that his physique should allow him to do.

Still think he is the best in the SPFL though and a couple more performances like that on Saturday and English clubs will definitely be making bids if not in January certainly next summer.

Agree with all this TC (although not old enough to have seen Clark play)

Funny you should mention Burridge. My only memory of him is in the final game of the season in 1994 against Celtic when he gifted them the lead.

If it finished 1-1 with Brian Irvine scoring said equaliser then yes that was our first ever Home game watching The Sheep.

Oh I see what you mean. I thought you meant it was AFC's first game at Pittodrie. I'm with you now.

It was one of the very few games that I attended with my Dad. It was usually my Mum I attended games with back then.

• 1 month later...