Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

National stereotypes and generalisms

rocket_scientist

I despise Americans.

That's a dumb statement because I love some Americans and I think some of the best geniuses of the modern world are from there. So I'm generalising, as I genuinely hate many human beings who happen to be American. I know there's a lot of them - Americans - so generalising needs to be recognised for what it is.

I despise many Scots and English too but there's an advert on TV right now which nails why the English are up there with the septics, competing heavily as they are for the most despised nation on Earth.

Sixt. Drive smug.

It's very clever marketing. It appeals to its majority target market as much as it offends the rest of us. They even casted it beautifully, appealing to the national sickness that believes in the British Empire and deliberately offending the rest of us, which in itself hits the spot for the typical guffy wank.

The good thing about the Sixt adverts is that there are three of them. Here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA5vMRRJWyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vlyuyZhsY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2NxRqf1Nlk

I don't find them particularly offensive I have to admit. Just annoying.

I tend to find the only people I hate in a national sense are those that I haven't actually met. So it's generally my own ignorance. Folks that are the stereotype of any nation are probably all cunts, because stereotyping in itself is usually used to present the worse traits of a nation (grippy Scots, arrogant English, mental Yanks etc). The vast majority of folk don't conform to it. That's why I don't believe the UK should carry nuclear weapons; because our enemies are nae actually our enemies. If you travelled to Russia, for example, you wouldn't meet an entire nation desperate to involve themselves in a war with the yanks. But that's how the Russians are portrayed. You get the idea..

• 2 weeks later...

Trump continues to reinforce the stereotype that most yanks are exceptionally stupid. A particular strand of their ignorance is geographical, the vast majority of them not having passports and not being able to see past their own nose.

Him sabre-rattling on about Nambia was considered an amusing gaffe the first time but when he kept on repeating it, he obviously had no clue what he was on about. It was pathos beyond belief that he didn't know that Nambia is not a country and whilst I don't have a clue what's been going down in Zambia ?? nor Namibia ?? and how they're impacting on my country, unlike him I'm not being paid to know these things.

Let's face it, it's only a matter of time before the Yanks have a real cartoon as president.

Virtual Leaders of the modern world might actually be an improvement.

They will, of course, be both male and female at the same time.

Folk will believe it's true  ???

Maybe it's true already  :(

Great programme started on BBC4 last night about the history of Vietnam. iPlayer it. It's a series.

Talking pf stereotypes, the journalist and one of the US vets nailed it. Every fight that the US got involved in was meant to be the good fight, the default position that the USA were always on the right side. As they acknowledged, and as ALL the Vietnamese vets said, the yanks kept on killing the wrong people, slaughtering hundreds of thousands of innocent villagers and indiscriminately wiping out children.

And they wonder why they are despised throughout the planet.

Great programme started on BBC4 last night about the history of Vietnam. iPlayer it. It's a series.

Talking pf stereotypes, the journalist and one of the US vets nailed it. Every fight that the US got involved in was meant to be the good fight, the default position that the USA were always on the right side. As they acknowledged, and as ALL the Vietnamese vets said, the yanks kept on killing the wrong people, slaughtering hundreds of thousands of innocent villagers and indiscriminately wiping out children.

Very much like Westminster then . :hammer:

I watched that too and have series linked it. Very interesting stuff, and a lot of it I wasn't aware of, like just how involved France had been post WW2.

The clip of the wee kids running along the country road, away from another village under attack never gets any less harrowing.

Toured round some of Vietnam 4 years ago, and it is an absolutely great country.  Would recommend it to anyone.

Toured round some of Vietnam 4 years ago, and it is an absolutely great country.  Would recommend it to anyone.

Everyone tells me that but I've never been. Oldest daughter and boyfriend going in Feb.

I guess the main reason I've not been is that I don't want to be killed. Being a white man in that region and given the history, I would expect some local to want to kill someone of my appearance. He doesn't have to be a nutter or a soul tortured by the pain of what "we" did to his family 50 years ago. He might have just been made unemployed from the paddy field or otherwise having a bad day. I would want to kill fuckers who fucked my country too.

Speaking of Vietnam, you recommended the Hanoi Bike Shop on this forum. It is now my favourite eatery and I'll be back there in a couple of weeks. The black pepper tofu is to die for.

Everyone tells me that but I've never been. Oldest daughter and boyfriend going in Feb.

I guess the main reason I've not been is that I don't want to be killed. Being a white man in that region and given the history, I would expect some local to want to kill someone of my appearance. He doesn't have to be a nutter or a soul tortured by the pain of what "we" did to his family 50 years ago. He might have just been made unemployed from the paddy field or otherwise having a bad day. I would want to kill fuckers who fucked my country too.

Speaking of Vietnam, you recommended the Hanoi Bike Shop on this forum. It is now my favourite eatery and I'll be back there in a couple of weeks. The black pepper tofu is to die for.

Locals were fantastic, probably as friendly people as I've ever encountered. Obviously there will be people out there as you describe, but we didn't experience any of that in Vietnam. There was a little of it in Cambodia when we were there but nothing that couldn't be handled.

The overriding feeling from the locals was that they were delighted that people wanted to visit their country and especially those who wanted to experience it properly in terms of eating where the locals eat and such like.

We travelled from Saigon > Hoi An > Hue > Hanoi > Ha Long Bay. Would like to go back to visit Sapa.

Glad you enjoyed the Bike Shop, not been for a while, have to rectify that soon.

This is hardly news to most of you but I thought I would have a quick ( very quick) search to see how easy it would be to buy an automatic gun.

You don't have to look far.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/703337858

This was the first one I found.

I remember doing this a couple of years ago with " my first rifle" sites.

Some kid had shot his sister or something.

They really are a bunch of weirdo's

http://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/

Just wanted to drop you a note, to let you know what a great product you offer. I just recently bought two Crickett .22’s, one pink and one black. They are exceptionally accurate, and just the right size for my 5 and 7 year olds. They are awesome and we couldn’t be happier. Thanks So Much!

If peru has taught me anything so far, it's that American and Chinese tourists are a waste of space. Fucking loud and equally obnoxious in their own special ways. Shut the fuck up! The Chinese have done nothing to change my view that they're rude and annoying. Americans are Americas, no one really wants the trump voting pricks. And stop saying like all the bloody time!

Still. Having a great time though  ;D

)

If peru has taught me anything so far, it's that American and Chinese tourists are a waste of space. Fucking loud and equally obnoxious in their own special ways. Shut the fuck up! The Chinese have done nothing to change my view that they're rude and annoying. Americans are Americas, no one really wants the trump voting pricks. And stop saying like all the bloody time!

Still. Having a great time though  ;D

Good stuff. Aye,met a bunch of Chinese tourists on Skye.Came to the conclusion they were minkers with money personally,maybe just a bad batch,(probably not)

Nephews nae long back from touring S America.Amazing places and people.Plenty room for pics on the Outdoors thread    8)

)

Good stuff. Aye,met a bunch of Chinese tourists on Skye.Came to the conclusion they were minkers with money personally,maybe just a bad batch,(or not)

Nephews nae long back from touring S America.Amazing places and people.Plenty room for pics on the Outdoors thread    8)

Oh aye,the Chinese on Skye are awful. And terrible drivers as well.

Fear not, doing the full machu picchu trek on thursday-monday so should have some decent snaps, if the weather holds!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll get back to Yanks.

I was in an Indian restaurant last night and overheard a Yank saying to the other members of his party

" if it's good enough for our lord Jesus It's good enough for me."

What the fuck was he ordering?

I didn't know Jesus ate curry.

I could only think of a Rogan Joshua with a nun bread.

• 1 month later...

With the goings on in Zimbabwe, there is one uncomfortable truth.

Almost every local getting interviewed, including the new politicians and leadership, sound like the thickest cunts on Plant earth.

The white supremicist racists, like Trump, would swallow self-validation from this.

But the truth is more sinister. Mugabe got rid of the intelligent and independent free-thinkers. Just like the Khmer Rouge did and even bigger examples when we look at history. Give a stupid or corrupt man power and shit gets ugly.

I was reading some of the comments from locals,and thinking,eh? what the heck are you talking about?.Want to think maybe living 37 years under a fud like Mugabe does that to you,but who knows....

Their celebrations could be a bit premature with the possible 'appointment' of Emmerson Mnangagwa.Even more brutal than Mugabe

With the goings on in Zimbabwe, there is one uncomfortable truth.

Almost every local getting interviewed, including the new politicians and leadership, sound like the thickest cunts on Plant earth.

The white supremicist racists, like Trump, would swallow self-validation from this.

But the truth is more sinister. Mugabe got rid of the intelligent and independent free-thinkers. Just like the Khmer Rouge did and even bigger examples when we look at history. Give a stupid or corrupt man power and shit gets ugly.

What he did to the white farmers (similar to that of what is going on in SA I believe) was just sheer idiocy. Yes, they shouldn’t have had the land in the first place but getting rid of folk who knew what they were doing and letting idiots try to run farms is why they’re fucked today. This is a faux revolution. Doubt much will change, although very interesting to see that they went to China for their permission / blessing first. I wonder what China will eventually get out of it. Made mays comments all the more laughable, they really don’t get that Britain is a nothing nation on the international stage.