Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The footballer in the river

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's deid, do we get our money back?

Extremely unlikely we had a Kelvin clause in the contract but if the lawyers done their job properly and put in a river annulment term, we will get fully compensated.

Then again, what the fuck was the "football side of the business" doing by signing him in the first place?

Hope he didn't try to top himself cos of all the comments on AFC webchatspeak sites? He's nae that weak a character is he?

Let he without sin cast the first stone as the good book says.

The only fact known here is that GMS was out in Glasgow in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Now whilst that is stupid in the extreme and probably in breach of club rules, perhaps we should all hold off jumping to conclusions before the exact circumstances of what happened are actually known  ???

Why would going out in Glasgow until the early hours be in breach of club rules? Players are out in Aberdeen reasonably regularly without issue. I doubt it'd be a problem, especially with the international break.

However, jumping in a river is an issue, especially when it leads to hypothermia and being rescued. Hopefully there were mitigating circumstances, like he'd just split up with his boyfriend.

He's a wee bit glaikit like, so I think we should cut him some slack. Hopefully it'll have given him a kick up the airse and he'll get his head down and concentrate on his fitba. He has the potential to be a good player if he sorts himself out - has a lot to offer the game as soon as he works out how to play it. Hopefully that'll be with us.

Why would going out in Glasgow until the early hours be in breach of club rules? Players are out in Aberdeen reasonably regularly without issue. I doubt it'd be a problem, especially with the international break.

However, jumping in a river is an issue, especially when it leads to hypothermia and being rescued. Hopefully there were mitigating circumstances, like he'd just split up with his boyfriend.

He's a wee bit glaikit like, so I think we should cut him some slack. Hopefully it'll have given him a kick up the airse and he'll get his head down and concentrate on his fitba. He has the potential to be a good player if he sorts himself out - has a lot to offer the game as soon as he works out how to play it. Hopefully that'll be with us.

The bit in bold is the crux of the matter though.

No one on here knows the circumstances.

Have heard it suggested elsewhere and obviously unconfirmed that there was an incident and he jumped a wall in an effort to get away without realising what was the other side of the wall.

http://www.afc.co.uk/news/10001.php#.WaPihT6GOUk

The club can confirm Gary Mackay-Steven was involved in an incident in the River Kelvin on Sunday morning.

He was treated for hypothermia but is now at home and recovering well.

On behalf of Gary, the club extends its thanks to the emergency services involved.

The club will not be commenting further on the matter.

4 games into the season and folk are writing the boy off as a nutter, a waste of space and all the other pish.

Seriously?

I despair sometimes, I really fucking do.

Agreed. He hasn't had a great start, but there's signs there if he can just get his shite together on the pitch. Incidents like these can be one-offs that have little or no affect on his future conduct. We've all been there.

To be honest, I think it's great. Fitba wid be shite without stories like these. It's funnier when it happens to other teams' players of course, but it's good to laugh at ourselves occasionally too.

Significantly happier with this story than those that accompanied the last young Utd superstar that we signed.

Obviously I'd like the guy to make the grade for us but I'm not sure if he will.  However, this incident is funny and will be cast up for ever which is good for him.  JC once mourned that the squad he inherited comprised a bunch of guys he'd be happy to have as a son-in-law, all well and good but phuckall use as competitive, risk taking fitba players.  He should probably stick to something less physically risky though: stealing buses maybe?