Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scott Wright

Did I imagine that he scored a hat trick at Patrick? Did this actually happen? How many of those have we seen under McInnes? Consi at Dens is one I recall off the top of my head.

So why is he not getting a game? Lazy in training? Other technical reason? Or is it something else?

I wouldn't rule out SMS. I remember Prick Advocado dropping Kenny Miller the week after he stuck five past St Mirren.

It surely can't be his youth. A manager with a proven record, the best ever in football management played them at 16 and 17.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consistency I expect. He'll blow hot and cold. Not just cause of age of course, but the position he plays in can be difficult if a full back gets the better of you earlier in the game. As happened to GMS at the weekend. The full back won the first few races and had the upper hand from then on. We've paid £250K for a guy that plays in his position also, and McInnes will want to give GMS every opportunity to repay that fee (I don't believe he will, he looks the same as he always has - inconsistent and reactive). I don't think it is unreasonable yet in terms of him starting games. However, we've got the additional problem of having too many senior players in attacking roles on the bench. We need to get rid of at least one, or at least demote one in order to ensure more game time for Wright. It's the old issue of feeling that you have to play players just because they've been signed. McInnes addressed this pretty quickly with Storey, giving him little game time, so I expect he'll do similar with Maynard too as the season progresses. That leaves just Rooney to keep happy, and I imagine that May will make way over the next few games to give Rooney a run in the striker role for the last 20 minutes of games, with Maynard featuring less and less. I suppose it's a case of keeping players happy, and I suspect that younger players are easier to inform that they're nae getting a game than guys you've just attracted to the club with the promise of fitba. They suffer from familiarity I suppose. I don't think McInnes will be alone in that though. 

I agree that Wright needs more game time than he is getting. But with our excess of attacking options he is going to find it really difficult as things stand. GMS is his obvious rival for a starting slot and as previously mentioned, having forked out a fee for him is obviously going to be given every chance to prove his worth. I actually think he will do so over the length of his contract...

Maynard was obviously signed on the back of Preston appointing Alex Neil and saying he wanted to see May in action thus making Deek think the deal was off. Fast forward 3 weeks and we get the plaar we really wanted so Maynard really becomes surplus to requirements and as he is only on a1 year deal I expect him to be offered the chance to go back south in January with his contract paid up.

Rooney I actually believe is finished now. I know Deek has said no more deals before the end of the window but it would not surprise me to see us fire in a bid for Moult on deadline day with Rooney being shipped out to whomever will take him....this might be difficult as he offers so little other than being able to finish off chances provided by others doing the donkey's work. If Hibs hadn't signed Stokes I'd have said they would be a good fit for him but now its difficult to see where he could go. Would Motherwell consider him in part exchange for Moult??

Anyway getting back to Wright...I think for now he will have to content himself as a bench option, though I think he should be used at every opportunity getting at least 25 minutes every game replacing either GMS/GS/Christie, and getting a full game once a month against the lesser teams in the league.

What often happened with Hayes was he was given the ball and left to do his thing.There were times on Saturday when GMS got the ball and there were 2 guys on him and his team mates left him to it.We're going to have to adjust to how other guys play(ie not assume,youre a winger,do something amazing).The other guys needed to be more alert to him being in trouble,and offered him an outlet.

Anyway getting back to Wright...I think for now he will have to content himself as a bench option, though I think he should be used at every opportunity getting at least 25 minutes every game replacing either GMS/GS/Christie, and getting a full game once a month against the lesser teams in the league.

You obviously think the potential of Wright isn't as good as GMS or GS. I disagree.

We don't know how good this "kid" (now 20 years old) might be yet but until the manager starts playing him - as he did for a very rare start yesterday - we will never know. He's only been at the club his whole life.

At times, Wright was brilliant yesterday.

He was taking on players but also making runs and. Space to flick passes through to players making runs.

I actually think he is going to be better than Hayes as wright has a great shot on him...can take players on like Hayes but also a better dribbler than Hayes and not as ball greedy as Hayes was a t times.

Good to see Adam showing us he's not finished haha.

Terrible defending. I don't know what we are going to do there. Is Kari good enough ?

Superb bein top of the table and so much more to come from us.

If Wright keeps play like that up, he should absolutely get picked for the Scotland squad Soon.

As should Christie. These guys are our future and brilliant.

Wow. You think Wright may be good enough for Scotland. McInnes hasn't considered him good enough for AFC.

I hope you're right and let's face it, GMS and GS aren't ever going to be international class for the rest of their careers. I don't even consider these two good enough for Aberdeen.

Which begs the original question - WHY has McInnes not been playing him?

I don't buy the youth argument and it's hardly going to prove to be a management masterstroke of holding him back "until he's ready". One of our managers weaknesses is never putting faith in youngsters. The best manager ever was the opposite. You shouldn't listen to Alan Hansen, Derek!

You obviously think the potential of Wright isn't as good as GMS or GS. I disagree.

We don't know how good this "kid" (now 20 years old) might be yet but until the manager starts playing him - as he did for a very rare start yesterday - we will never know. He's only been at the club his whole life.

On the contrary, I believe that this time next year he will be an automatic first pick. As a winger he will be inconsistent....as with Hayes, GMS even Peter Weir in his day. GMS was brought here to be a first pick. Hasn't set the heather on fire as yet and may never do. By all accounts Wright wasexcellent yesterday and should keep his place against Fartz. All I'm saying is I don't want him overhyped just yet. I still believe that him and GMS will rotate in and out of the team all season but long term I think Wright will prevail...

On the contrary, I believe that this time next year he will be an automatic first pick. As a winger he will be inconsistent....as with Hayes, GMS even Peter Weir in his day. GMS was brought here to be a first pick. Hasn't set the heather on fire as yet and may never do. By all accounts Wright wasexcellent yesterday and should keep his place against Fartz. All I'm saying is I don't want him overhyped just yet. I still believe that him and GMS will rotate in and out of the team all season but long term I think Wright will prevail...

If you say he's going to be an automatic pick next year, why would you only give him one start a month this season, and only against "lesser" teams?

What have you seen about him to suggest he's not good enough yet and why would you not play him against the better teams?

I've only been asking why McInnes hasn't been playing him? Since you are in accord with the manager - and let's face it, he sees him every day and is paid to make these decisions, being the football professional that he is so chances are that you're both right - I'm just interested to know the reason (why he's never been given a run)?

If you were at the Hamilton game, what did he do wrong to get dropped v. Ross County and Dundee? He set up the winner and the only goal of the game at Hamilton in the cup 4 days later. Why did McInnes even recruit journeymen footballers for the role that Scott Wright seems natural for? Why has he not been playing Wright?

Edit: just looked it up. His first appearance was as a sub in the 2014/15 season. One start 2015/16 and only one last year. Grand total of 4 league starts in 3 seasons, inc. yesterday!

He looked pretty weak (physically) at times when he came off the bench in previous seasons. He should still have got more of a chances last season.

The biggest thing for me is McInnes' willingness to give youngsters from other teams more game time than our own. Compare the minutes Christie and Maddison got last season to that of Wright and it's obvious. We had that spastic McLauchlan too, as well as the decent Hector and the shite Donervan Daniels. They all got time where our youngsters are overlooked. We actively helped in progressing other teams' youngsters. A little weird.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

26 minutes since the window and the arrival of McGinn. He should have been out on loan like Frank Ross. Less than 3 games in total since signing his new contract. McInnes should have made the call in January to send him out, this can't be doing him any good. Unless he's injured of course? I don't believe so, given he was on the bench for the Partick game. The signs aren't good for the loon. He could have been at Partick or Saints or someone, getting a good run in the side in our own league.

McInnes is either totally mismanaging Scott Wright or he's decided he's not good enough.

If the latter, why sign him on a contract extension?

More likely, our genius small man manager is a small mind manager who fails to understand the mental game and how confidence can be given, can be instilled, can be nurtured and developed, particularly in the young in order to get the most out of them.

Our midget charlatan with the massive ego may even have been sidelined as a young footballer himself in favour of more experienced journeymen and is resentful of young talents, determined not to give them the chances he never got, blaming his former bosses for his career being spectacularly pedestrian.

I don't buy that (the ego thing). His approach to McKenna has been fantastic, and I strongly believe that he'd have kept Fraser here too (rather than get him polishing shoes). The fact that Wright signed the extension suggests he had faith in McInnes. His form has been poor, that's why I'm questioning why he wasn't sent on loan.

There are a couple of problems for me. The first is one I've argued for a long time, and it's the size of the league. It's easy to criticise McInnes for not playing youth, but look at the near melt-down each time we drop points in a tight league with no "meaningless" games. The fact that we're challenging high up the league with no breathing space is an issue. However, that has to be tempered with the fact that McInnes does not accept mistakes by Wright that he does in his more senior pros. GMS, McGinn, Christie and Stewart are all afforded the time and space to make mistakes that Wright isn't. Even Maynard is only one game short of Wright's total minutes this season. I think that once a players is signed on a first team contract, then he has to be given even treatment, and I think that Wright's mistakes are more costly to him than more senior players are to them. Or send him out on loan if he really isn't at the standard.

McKenna was a happy accident for McInnes. You can't blame Wright. He's not been given a decent run. He had a mare v. Rangers but so did everyone else, 100% the managers fault as he was preparing to jump ship. Maybe the real source of disagreement between us is that you don't want to see that McInnes is as bad as I say he is. Yeah he's got some qualities but let's face it, anyone can be better than Calderclown, Dinghus and GWT.

McKenna was a happy accident for McInnes. You can't blame Wright. He's not been given a decent run. He had a mare v. Rangers but so did everyone else, 100% the managers fault as he was preparing to jump ship. Maybe the real source of disagreement between us is that you don't want to see that McInnes is as bad as I say he is. Yeah he's got some qualities but let's face it, anyone can be better than Calderclown, Dinghus and GWT.

Except that there are hunners and hunners of managers who are equally as pish as those three!

I don't think that it's fair to say McKenna was a happy accident. I don't think McKenna would agree with that, I think he'd be very complimentary of McInnes. I don't think we can accuse McInnes of being crap at youth development and then ignore a huge success because it doesn't suit our (and I agree with you that he hasn't given youth a fair run) agenda.

I agree Wright hasn't had as much game time as he possibly could have had however I have to say that any time he has been played he just hasn't been very good at all. Putting him out on loan to a Thistle, Dundee or even a top end Championship club would have been the sensible thing to do in order to get him some game time although it could be the case that this was attempted and nobody wanted him......

My personal opinion........he just isn't of the desired quality and within a year will be allowed to go to somewhere like a Livingston or QOS for free.

Wright has been shite. And barring that performance against Partick (meaningless game for them if you recall) has always been shite. When it comes to a choice between him or McGinn it's a no brainer. I do agree that he could've been punted out on loan though.

When it comes to a choice between him or McGinn it's a no brainer.

I agree that he's been largely pish (had a good game against Partick this season too).

However, often the choice isn't between him and McGinn. It's between him and a McGinn* (Christie, GMS etc) who's had 60 minutes of doing nothing and isn't likely to do anything for the next 20 minutes before the meaningless sub eventually takes place. The argument isn't McGinn v Wright, which holds an obvious answer, it's McGinn playing at 70% versus Wright, and then things are evened up significantly. It's about why McInnes thinks that bringing on Wright (or Stewart or whoever) is okay to do with 8 minutes to go, but not with 30 minutes. McGinn trumps Wright on any given day, but he's also left on the pitch a huge number of times when he has been largely ineffectual. McInnes will say "well, Niall can change things in an instant", however on the overwhelming majority of occasions he doesn't. Is it worth keeping Wright on the bench 10 times, because McGinn might do something out of nothing on one of those?

*I'm singling out McGinn, but it good be any of our front four this season.

• 10 months later...

I think the loan was the correct thing to do. Loads of fans clamoured for him to get thrown in and he did get a fair number of games before the break, yet apart from one excellent showing against St Boo in the league cup he failed to shine and looked underwhelming to say the least.

The jury is out, he will be a regular at Dundee and if he does well his confidence will be sky high when he returns. I just feel his physical slightness will mean he won't make it with us long term. Bottom end Premier to mid table Championship is where I think his level is at.