Author Topic: Scotland squad  (Read 22817 times)

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 66
Re: Scotland squad
« Reply #620 on: September 10, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »
Had no idea Paterson had been moved in to Midfield, never saw that coming to be honest, he was a very good RB in my opinion. Fraser is a wide midfielder, but I noticed he was playing RWB against Belgium, we aren't going to get the most out of him, playing there. O'Donnell isn't a bad defender, i'd have him in a heartbeat if Logan wasn't here, he's very consistent and has a decent delivery.

My general point was, we shouldn't be clamouring to play both in the same 11, it won't work, they are both natural LB's & I would strongly disagree with you tlg1903, from a purely neutral standpoint, Robertson is far superior to Tierney, but that's not saying Tierney isn't a good player, he clearly is, my opinion is that Robertson is far better.

McGregor

O'Donnell Souttar Mulgrew Robertson

MacDonald   McGinn

Fraser      Armstrong     MacGregor

Russell

I think that could work, MacDonald looked cumbersome, but if he's just protecting the back 4 alongside an energetic player, he'd be useful, he's a big lad and can certainly pass the ball.

I'd play the 4 at the back too, but I understand McLeish's preference for a 3 or 5 at international level, especially on wide pitches like Hampden. Fraser has played wing back heaps of times for Bournemouth. Seems to have had all his trickery coached out of him and plays quite deep from what I've seen (admittedly mostly just highlights with the odd game here and there). I think he's the only option for right wing back in a 5 but I'd go with yer suggestion of O'Donnell in a 4 - I just don't see McLeish playing that way anytime soon.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 20
« Reply #621 on: September 10, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »
Team for tonight.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dmv9WWnWwAAWTWM?format=jpg

Looks like 5-4-1 again.

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #622 on: September 10, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
With O'Donnell in, could easily switch to a back four too. Will be interesting. Not paying Sky £8 for it though, so won't be watching unless I can get a decent stream.

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 37
« Reply #623 on: September 10, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »
Decent enough performance so far, McGinn been excellent although has sold the shirts with a coupe of intercepted passes that Albania should have made more of.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #624 on: September 10, 2018, 10:09:46 PM »
Decent performance tonight but still to many misplaced passes that a better team would have punished (see Friday night). In first half we seemed to always want one touch to many and passed when maybe should have shot. Better in second half and seemed more direct and got the goals. In the end unlucky not to win by more. They and Israel will be different propositions away from home but do think we are more than capable of winning the group.

Offline Lencarl

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 5
« Reply #625 on: September 11, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »
17.500 fans at Hampden yesterday including 1000 Albania supporters.

It will be a massive job for the SFA to convince fans to return to the fold.

Winning games will help of course, but we really should be beating teams like Albania anyway.

If Scotland get through this Group unbeaten and winning all their home games it may bring a few more fans back to cheer the Scotland National Team.  :thumbsup: 
NEVER plan ahead.

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
« Reply #626 on: September 11, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »
Not convinced we will see Hampden regularly filled. A fair whack of sevconians have abandoned Scotland and taken to supporting Guffland and/or Norn Irn. And Celtic fans historically seem to prefer supporting Eire.

For fans from outwith the central belt, Hampden is a bugger to get to for an early kick off or home from for an evening kick off especially if using public transport.

Years of utter pish has also turned many fans off supporting the National team. And of course the SFA who only seem to want 2 teams to flourish could themselves find themselves victimised by fans of teams who believe their club side is dealt an unfair hand by the corrupt bastards. £35 quid for a ticket against Belgium for a friendly won't help.

The team is actually doing fairly well in actual competitive fixtures as opposed to friendlies....last night was the 7th competitive fixture in a row we have remained unbeaten in. I suppose if we do look like qualifying for a Finals then the fans will return but till then unless we are playing Brazil, England, Argentina, Italy, Germany or Spain I think we will continue to see Hampden no more than half full

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #627 on: October 07, 2018, 12:49:21 PM »
Squad for this weeks games against Israel and Portugal. Suspect there will be call offs today as usual.

Goalkeepers: Jordan Archer (Millwall), Craig Gordon (Celtic), Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Jack Hendry (Celtic), Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers), Stephen O'Donnell (Kilmarnock), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen), John Souttar (Heart of Midlothian), Kieran Tierney (Celtic).

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Tom Cairney (Fulham), James Forrest (Celtic), Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth), Kevin McDonald (Fulham), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Scott McTominay (Manchester United), Callum Paterson (Cardiff City).

Forwards: Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Oli McBurnie (Swansea City), Matt Phillips (West Bromwich Albion), Johnny Russell (Sporting Kansas City).

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
  • Rating: 48
« Reply #628 on: October 07, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »
No McKenna, what the actual fuck!
Decided to start a football blog, feel free to have a read here.

http://foxintheboxon.blogspot.co.uk/?view=flipcard

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
« Reply #629 on: October 07, 2018, 03:39:12 PM »
No McKenna, what the actual fuck!

He was in the squad i saw a couple of days back  ???

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -54
« Reply #630 on: October 08, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »
Hopefully he's told the SFA to fuck off.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #631 on: October 08, 2018, 11:54:15 AM »
Sorry folks I put up the wrong squad.

Actual squad is as 

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Celtic), Allan McGregor (Rangers), Jon McLaughlin (Sunderland).

Defenders: Jack Hendry (Celtic), Scott McKenna (Aberdeen), Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers), Stephen O'Donnell (Kilmarnock), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen), John Souttar (Heart of Midlothian), Kieran Tierney (Celtic).

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), James Forrest (Celtic), Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth), Kevin McDonald (Fulham), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Scott McTominay (Manchester United), Robert Snodgrass (West Ham United).

Forwards: Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Oliver McBurnie (Swansea), Steven Naismith (Heart of Midlothian), Johnny Russell (Sporting Kansas City).

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -54
« Reply #632 on: October 08, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
Boooo

Offline Lencarl

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 5
« Reply #633 on: October 08, 2018, 02:10:59 PM »
Boooo

Leigh Griffiths wants to "focus" on his fitness after pulling out of the Scotland squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45787486

Boooooo
NEVER plan ahead.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 194
« Reply #634 on: October 08, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
Leigh Griffiths wants to "focus" on his fitness after pulling out of the Scotland squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45787486

Boooooo

So nothing whatsoever to do with playing second fiddle to Naismith ::)
Steve warm his seat up

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 8
« Reply #635 on: October 08, 2018, 03:00:38 PM »
Cometh the hour, cometh Stevie May. Obvious choice to replace Griffiths.
Fuck the Tories

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
« Reply #636 on: October 08, 2018, 03:50:03 PM »
Cometh the hour, cometh Stevie May. Obvious choice to replace Griffiths.

They're checking to see if Cosgrove has a Scottish granny as we speak

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #637 on: October 11, 2018, 07:36:13 PM »
Team for tonight

McGregor

Tierney
Mulgrew
Soutar

Robertson
McGinn
McDonald
McGreagor
Donald

Naismith
Russell

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #638 on: October 11, 2018, 08:19:38 PM »
1-0 Scotland - Mulgrew from the penalty spot after Naismith brought down.

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #639 on: October 11, 2018, 08:39:03 PM »
Mulgrew looking good on the ball, scores a belting pen and then switches off at a basic hoof over the top. Classic Mulgrew.