Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Greg Stewart

He came to us with a record barely good enough to be described as journeyman.

Particularly at the top level.

I hope he turns into another excellent example of McInnes recruitment.

And even though it's very early days, I'm certain he won't be.

Not as obviously shit as Calvin Zola proved in his first five minutes v. Killie, I see nothing about him to suggest he will ever merit ten hours in an AFC shirt.

Thoughts?

I'm actually with Rocket on this one.

Did well when he came on yesterday for sure but I was totally meh when he joined up and still am tbh, although I will be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong over the course of the season.

As I've said before, he has had one good season at Dundee but bombed at Birmingham who are hardly world beaters. I have a feeling that as the season progresses Deek will end up picking either Stewart or Christie....just dont feel they will work well together and overall I think Christie will be more consistent and get the nod....

Not so sure Rocket.

I think he was fairly key and very much a talisman for Dundee for a couple of seasons, along with Hemmings, but if we're to chose one of those two, it'd be Stewart every time ( I know that's not what you're asking )

What confuses me is where he actually played at Dundee? Was he an out and out striker in a 2 up front or was he a number 10 player, behind the main striker? Can't really remember, but he scored some brilliant individual goals and certainly earned his move down south.

Much like a few of the signings this season, they've had very little game time over the last couple of seasons and their confidence will not be what it was and certainly their match sharpness, not fitness, will not be as it was also. McInnes needs to choose a front 4 as quickly as possible, and they then need to click as quickly as possible. Stewart can easily fit in to that front 4 and be an important player for us, he just needs games to get that fitness, sharpness and hunger back. 

I still think he can do a job for us, particularly now with May at the club. Based on what I've seen so far this season I'd play Stewart in the #10 position. Think that's where he played at Dundee. He doesn't have the pace to play the wide role that McInnes requires. May plays high, can run in behind, and can also hold up play, Stewart plays in the hole behind him. Also thinking Christie may be more suited to the wide role anyway, can easily track back as needed.

However, means fuck all when McInnes is married to McLean. Not sure what he does to merit the start now.  I'd like to see Shinnie and Tansey holding, GMS and Christie providing the pace wide, Stewart behind May. Think this might get the best out of Stewart. I don't see him as a wide player any more. He'll also get more goals and assists than KM. May, Christie, and GMS all have pace, Stewart has craft to play in amongst them.

Don't think DM knows his best line up yet, not sure he sees Christie wide or central, and now we're fitting May into the starting line up. Hope he recognizes that Stewart doesn't have the pace or athleticism to replace McGinn and that he's not the wide guy he's tried to create. DM fucked around until almost xmas with the experimenting last year, hope he listens to me sooner this time around. We're juggling a line up with multiple guys new to the team, I'm willing to give Stewart (and co) the benefit of the doubt. For now.

Thank you Kenny for the balls for expressing an opinion.

Time will tell.

I hope I'm totally wrong aboot the boy. He disgusted me yesterday.

Footballers who hide generally make me sick.

That cunt made me seriously sick yesterday.

Hate the cunt already.

No way he hid on Saturday. In fact, when he came on he was one of the few who actually went looking for the ball, demonstrated by his good run down the outside, bringing out a good save from Bain.

I like Stewart, I think he's a good footballer - he knows how to keep the ball and beat a man.  The problem we've got is that it's clear we're not sure how to play our attacking options at the moment.  I'm not convinced playing Stewart off the right side is going to get the best out of him,  in behind May would probably be the best option for him.

I thought Greg Stewart had an immediate positive impact when he came on on Saturday. He doesn't shit himself when he gets the ball and he seems assured in possession and looks to make something positive happen. Christie had his worst game in a reg shirt but still didn't hide. They're both players that I'd love to sign permanently.

I actually thought he looked pretty good for us when he came on Saturday, the best spell of play in a red jersey from him so far. Time will tell how he gets on.

I'm more concerned about MacKay-Stevens, we actually paid money for him and cannot see him cutting it with us, although happily be proved wrong, but he just looks a glaiket cunt to me and the best quote I have read summing him up so far is he looks every inch a Dundee Utd player.

Disagree with the OP about his pedigree - I think it's decent.  Also, unlike Christie I think we have a pretty good chance of keeping him if he has a good season. 

No guarantees with new signings but I believe he has the ability and if he can settle into the team will be a good player for us. 

A lot more worried about GMS who looks completely lacking in confidence and desire.

Yes decent pedigree,in the last 4 for player of the year 2 years running,and into double figures(goals) in his last couple of seasons in a poor Dee side.Quite chunky though,and doesnt look or play like a traditional winger.Get the impression he could do a job up front if May was injured and Roonard were still firing blacks.a 2 with May maybe asking too much

Yes decent pedigree,in the last 4 for player of the year 2 years running,and into double figures(goals) in his last couple of seasons in a poor Dee side.Quite chunky though,and doesnt look or play like a traditional winger.Get the impression he could do a job up front if May was injured and Roonard were still firing blacks.a 2 with May maybe asking too much

I'm very disappointed ElginDon, very.  :frown:

:laughing:

I'm more concerned about MacKay-Stevens, we actually paid money for him and cannot see him cutting it with us, although happily be proved wrong, but he just looks a glaiket cunt to me and the best quote I have read summing him up so far is he looks every inch a Dundee Utd player.

During the game on the match thread I posted my disgust of the performances by GMS, Kenny Mc and Greg S.

I couldn't believe the support for GS. As you say, time will tell.

I have no idea why McLean has gone seriously off the boil. At least there was a suggestion of a footballer in there, occasionally. But GS and GMS, they're fucking shite.

Obviously I am going to disagree about McLean.

But there's something about Stewart that reminds me of Mark McGhee.

Perhaps it's only the ability to go into a ruck of players and still come out with the ball.

Hopefully it's more than that.

For the benefit of our younger members, while a player, Mark McGhee was fuckin ace.

Obviously I am going to disagree about McLean.

But there's something about Stewart that reminds me of Mark McGhee.

Perhaps it's only the ability to go into a ruck of players and still come out with the ball.

Hopefully it's more than that.

For the benefit of our younger members, while a player, Mark McGhee was fuckin ace.

McLean started pretty promising for a handful of games, then went anonymous for ages but surprisingly came good - or at least nae bad - and sustained it for a couple of months or so. He's been very shite for a very long time now.

But if the goal is to win stuff - and for the benefit of our younger members, the point of being a professional in football IS to succeed and win stuff, not just turning up to pick up a wage - there is no room at AFC for the likes of him.

Nor GS, nor GMS. At least half our team basically and definitely more than half our squad.

A winning team is capable of being consistent in its performances. The consistency of most of ours is more skittery than solid and once again, it's going to be a barren year. Don't let the shiteness of the rest of the SPFL fool us that were half decent. We have glaring weaknesses both on and off the field. 

• 1 year later...

What surprises me is how sharp Greg Stewart looks this season, including this game v. Celtic.

What is Steve Clarke getting out of him that McInnes couldn't?

My guess is basic S & C and fitness levels are where the answers lie.

Definitely he just looked fat and slow with us last season but now looks like he is a stone lighter and its made a huge difference.

Should have signed him up, comes into the bracket, of good/very good players who have been at Pittodrie & not been played to their strengths & out of position ie. out wide (see also Rooney)

For what its worth, i think McGinn should have had a free role playing off main striker & Scott Wright should be terrorising defences by now, week in /week out.

Getting kind of bored watching us match up to teams, when we could be ripping them apart.