Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Overrated bands?

Kowalski

Wasnt a huge fan of Radiohead,but they had a bit of originality/creativity IMO

This may be a bit controversial but for me

Oasis

The Rolling stones

The Beatles 

All the above had a few songs I liked,but the majority of their others(IMO),were run of the mill,back of a fag packet dross.....Sorry  :wave:

Agree on all six bands above being overrated.

On Oasis, their debut album was superb but they soon grew very tiring.

Also, The Beatles had a handful of awesome songs but a lot of it was pap.

My contribution to the overrated category are as follows: -

Coldplay's legendary status makes me sick.

The Arctic Monkeys never kicked on from their excellent debut.

R.E.M. are loved by millions but not by me, even though I acknowledge a couple of classics. Maybe one.

THE BEATLES if anything are underrated and anyone who has studied their music and listened to their albums rathwr than just viewing them from a "she loves you" point of view and still tbinks their overrated just doesnt know quality.

One group i think is soooo overrated and utter shit is ACFUCKINGDC.

I can actually judge people on their love for that abhorrent talentless shit.

Radiohead pish but i dont think theyre that highly rated anyway.

Coldplays 1st album was great but they went diwn hill and are now monotonous pish.

The Beatles hanged music..re ording..styles..fashion etc etc.

Their music inspired so many artists.

They werent just catchy they were revolutionary and very clever.melodic..raw..taking other influences and making beautiful art.

No group comes near them in wuantity of quality.

I think rem are easy listening and combine folksy rock and pop very well.

Chemical brothers and daft punk to me are not as great as people think.

A couple of good dance tunes seems to make u a quality act.

Jimmy hendrix great guitarist but quality of lustenable songs= about 5

Same with bob marley.

Same with the doors

The beatles listenable songs is around 50 for me.

Ah well . As long as we enjoy our own thing

Coldplays 1st album was great but they went diwn hill and are now monotonous pish.

Factually incorrect. ;)

It was actually the other way round for me. When they first came onto the scene I couldn't stand them. "Yellow" was never off the radio and I hated that song. But by 2005-2006 I had all three of their albums and although I usually don't like it when bands/artists deviate away too much from why I like them in the first place but for me Coldplay have evolved nicely and continue to produce absolute belters. Seeing them live made a massive difference. Blew me away.

"Coldplay are depressing" is a line I used to hear a lot and now their style isn't anything like that anymore and ignorant people still say it. 

You have to be dead inside to not feel amazing listening to Strawberry Swing.

The problem with listening to folks' opinions on music is that 99 times out of a 100 they've dismissed the quality of a band without making any effort whatsoever to actually listen. I've always felt the Beatles are overrated but haven't spent very little time actually listening to them I don't go around constantly saying it.

I've never really paid any attention to what the critics say and personally disagree with several posts on this one but its down to personal opinion in the end.

However one band really does stick out for me in terms of the what i consider to have been completely undeserved hype........Travis!

I first saw them at TITP 1998 and prior to that I'd only heard a couple of songs on compilations albums but they seemed to be a half decent, fun, indie rock band with tunes you could get a decent bounce to especially on a slightly boozy sunny afternoon in perthshire

U16 Girls, Tied to the 90s, Happy etc.

Then came 'The Man Who' which for me made Leonard Cohen and Radiohead seem full of Joy.

Worse for me was how they suddenly went from afternoon main stage warm up to Main Headliners with lots of teary eyed pre-pubescent girls singing along.

I often hear folk complaining of bands with songs that all sound the same but too often I found myself in the minority when I put Travis into that camp.

prince without a doubt.

He had talent no doubt but so much of his album stuff was utter mince.

Someone at work once said to me he was better than Michael Jackson...

Mental.

I'd add to this list...guns and roses... Bon jovi, Metallica and pearl jam.

Pearl Jam!?! Not a chance! I'd also argue against Metallica, both bands are massive in the history of rock music. Bin Jovi, drunken student favourite  ;)

Ach oasis were pretty good.

You may hate them but their songs although inspired from almost one Beatles song and tweaked, (Tomorrow never knows) weren't that bad.

They were working class football songs with an edge.

I loved their first album.

It was a complete album with hits a plenty.when albums were value for money and not shit with 1 or 2 hit songs.

'She's electric' is superb. (Probably taken from The Beatles 'And your bird can sing).

They're both dickheads like.

I can actually judge people on their love for that abhorrent talentless shit.

I think you're a lot confused.

You don't seem to appreciate that different people can have different tastes.

And you come across as intolerant.

Which kind of contradicts this: -

Ah well . As long as we enjoy our own thing

Unlike you, I don't "judge people" by their music taste. Nor can I, and I would argue, nor can you.

Let me give you a real live example: -

One group i think is soooo overrated and utter shit is ACFUCKINGDC.

Same with bob marley.

Same with the doors

AC/DC in the Bon Scott days were unique and they got many people's bodies (and minds) rocking.

Bob Marley was a genius and Jim Morrison produced some fantastic music before he joined the 27 club.

Oh forgot to say...

Pink Floyd.

The Wall was amazing when it came out almost 40 years ago.

prince without a doubt.

He had talent no doubt but so much of his album stuff was utter mince.

Someone at work once said to me he was better than Michael Jackson...

Mental.

Prince's Sign O the Times was my favourite album of the last century.

You see? We have differences in music tastes here, although that last one was a good example of your intolerant "I know best" attitude.

Whilst I can't judge people by their music, I can judge people by their posts.

My judgement is that I couldn't stand you in real life. Nothing to do with your hatred of music that I appreciate - although you managed to include such great, innovative and unique artists (in my, and millions of other people's opinions) that this alone might point to significant differences in outlooks - but because of your attitude, your intolerance, your insensitivity to others and your complete lack of empathy.

Haha that actually made me laugh honestly.

U said yourself it's about opinions.

I detest ACDC they are shite to me ok.and talentless IMO.

I could make my own ACDC song up in about 3 minutes.

Kyrie Minogue got loads of people rocking during the Stock, Aitken and Waterman era too you could argue.

Is a crowds movement how we judge talent now.  :rofl:

The Wall is incredibly over rated for me.it had a storyline that people loved blah blah but the music in it was intellectual guff.

Jim Morrison did produce some great songs as did bob Marley . Read what I wrote.

But bob Marley becomes stale after about 45 minutes for me as he was brilliant but one dimensional.

Prince- sign of the times... That's your favourite album of last century? Wow.

I Think that shows your terrible taste lol.

I'm glad you couldn't stand me in real life Mr precious.

You seem a total tit and come on here slagging off dons fans on a dons forum quite a lot.

I have tolerance aplenty for other people's tastes as long as they keep ACDC off their radio in front of me. It's no biggie.

And I think you can judge people quite easily on their musical opinions. Haven't you just done that with me.

we all have different tastes and each to our own.

Yeah I do think my tastes are superior to yours if I'm honest haha.

My insensitivity to others?

You having a laugh.

Please explain.

We could discuss all day on what is great music or what is overrated.

I have many opinions on this right or wrong who cares. I believe it and you don't.

It's a forum you moron.

I'm not coming across as arrogant at all.

Is it arrogant to hate Huns?

Have a wee think ya rocket then come back and we can discuss further.

The Clash....always referred to by those of a certain age as cooler and true to the roots of punk than their contemporaries like the Damned or the Sex Pistols. I just found them soporific.

And U2. Up to and including The Unforgettable Fire they knew their place and were awesome live. Fast forward just a few weeks to the end of 1984 and Bono gets a line in Band Aid. His sanctimonious puss has never shut since.