Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Footballers Required! Red Stars Needs You!

Red Stars, Glasgow's Aberdeen Supporters team, is looking for new players for the 2017/18 season.

We play in the Sunday Central League, this will be our third season in this set up, our 8th season overall, and it's a very competitive league. This means that experience of 11-a-sides is desirable and it is not the place for the faint hearted.

Due to a number of departures from last season's squad, we are looking for players for all positions with goalkeeper and striker being a priority.

Our pre-season training will commence on Monday 17 July and will consist of three sessions per week for 3 weeks.  We will then revert to one session a week (a Thursday night) with our matches being played on Sundays.  Our season starts on Sunday 6 August

Many of you will know that we are sponsored by The Rock pub in the West End and as such, there is a good social side to the club which also includes days out to watch the Dons at Pittodrie and other recreational activities such as going to the horseracing, footgolf, greyhounds, golf lounge and all day drinking debating which Hun is the all time biggest hun (Lee McCulloch was the surprising winner, following our very scientific survey).

If this sounds like the sort of thing you'd be into then please get in touch with us either by replying to this post or PMing me on here, or email clubfutbolaberdeen@gmail.com.

Mods - would it please be ok to leave this un-stickied in the main forum please? Think more folk will see it that way when we bump it up etc. Many thanks.

Obviously Derek Johnstone is the hunnest hun of all time.

Good luck with the squad, I hear Maloney is still available.

Sign of the times when you have to mention 11 a side experience though.

Seem to remember Johnstone leaving oldco under a huge cloud when he signed for (chelsea was it?). As a pundit I agree hes a pain in the arse and one of only 2 i can think of who predicted sevco would win last seasons league  :rofl: :rofl:

Id go for Gough though as the hunnest player. Id see him on telly every f@ckin week and hope someone would smash their head right into his smug South African puss be he seemed extraordinarily good at avoiding injuries....bastard

Thanks gents.  Can Maloney play in nets..? 

We get a lot of boys through who are clearly 5s or 7s players and before even playing them in an 11s match you know they'll be lost, so it's worth making a point these days about the relevant experience necessary.

For the hun survey, the top huns of all time were ranked on a series of factors and McCulloch seemed to do "well" in all areas.  I had presumed Brown, Goram or McCoist would win, but you can't argue with science. (well, you can on this occasion)

Well BB min, that comes as a bit of a shocker.

Street fitba of course could be anything from 3 to 33 a side.

But full 11 a side was what I played through from Life Boys, Primary School, Secondary School, Juvenile, Youth, District (under 27, don't ask) Amateur then finally Sunday Welfare.

While I understand the principal of reducing numbers for teaching skills ( a fair bit of childhood fitba was 20 players chasing the ball and 2 freezing goalkeepers) it's astounding that players wouldn't understand 11 a side, full size pitch fitba.

No wonder the Scotland team is shite.

I haven't played 11 a side for aboot 20 years. Which is a shame because I'm fucking ace.

Always enjoyed the match reports in the past Bobby so stick some up if you get a chance (if you get a team!)  :thumbsup:

I'm going to offer a couple of slightly more recent examples of king hun contenders. Nacho Novo and Alex Rae. Pair of despicable cretins. Especially the latter.

No problemo BB.

Good luck for the coming season  :thumbsup:

Cheers mate

Well BB min, that comes as a bit of a shocker.

Street fitba of course could be anything from 3 to 33 a side.

But full 11 a side was what I played through from Life Boys, Primary School, Secondary School, Juvenile, Youth, District (under 27, don't ask) Amateur then finally Sunday Welfare.

While I understand the principal of reducing numbers for teaching skills ( a fair bit of childhood fitba was 20 players chasing the ball and 2 freezing goalkeepers) it's astounding that players wouldn't understand 11 a side, full size pitch fitba.

No wonder the Scotland team is shite.

I think there's a few reasons for it; decline of street football as you mention, decline of proper school football (thanks Maggie), over the top coaching at young ages where kids should just be encouraged to get on the ball - ott coaching puts youngsters off, and while there is more football on tv than ever it is much more expensive, comparitively to go and watch a top flight match now so youngsters aren't able to get that feel for the bigger picture which you lose when a match is on TV.

I haven't played 11 a side for aboot 20 years. Which is a shame because I'm fucking ace.

Always enjoyed the match reports in the past Bobby so stick some up if you get a chance (if you get a team!)  :thumbsup:

I'm going to offer a couple of slightly more recent examples of king hun contenders. Nacho Novo and Alex Rae. Pair of despicable cretins. Especially the latter.

Thanks Tyrant. The match reports now go out on our Twitter feed in the form of a back page of a newspaper, so if you're on Twitter then follow @Red_StarsAFC.  They're really well done. They may also appear on pussjotter, but I wouldn't know anything about those dark arts.

You'll be pleased to hear that Novo at least made it to the top ten.

Sunday fitba being "not for the faint hearted" who would have thought it?

I think the modern term would be "Robust"

Tell me BB min, is it still all blaze pitches down there?

;D The funny thing is that there is a lot more whinging now than when I played and to be honest it still amazes me the number of grown men who can whinge over the slightest thing. Just get on with it ffs!

Nah, the blaze is pretty much all gone now, thankfully. Dreadful stuff, but trying to control a bouncing Mitre mouldmaster on them certainly improved your touch.  We play our home matches on grass when we can (Aug-Oct, Mar-May) and 3g for the rest of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump up for this.

We have our first set of trials this Thursday night.  We had a great surge in interest after the EE and AFC posted articles on their websites about us.  Big thanks also to Manc and the team here who have tweeted about this and put us on their FB page, it's all really appreciated.

We'll have a further trials session next week hopefully followed by a bounce game on the Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

hi folks,

Still looking for players for Glasgow's Aberdeen supporters team, Red Stars. Had a bounce game on Saturday which we won 4-3, but we are still in need of reinforcements.

Goalkeeper in particular is an area we have to strengthen in, but we're interested in good players for all positions.

If you're interested, please get in touch here or via the email address in the opening post. Our season kicks off on 6 August, with pre-season training commencing on Monday evening.

:penalty::ultras: