Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dave Cormack

From what I read on twitter this morning he was a senior executive or manager (or something) in a company called brightree who recently were bought out for $800 million. The management owned 30% of the company so presume he has his share of that and has or will invest some of it into the club.

It's okay, I'll provide the link that should have accompanied the starting of a new thread. Just as well some of us about board etiquette. Although, I expect there's a thread somewhere fae 2002 that could have been resurrected.

http://www.afc.co.uk/news/9690.php#.WT-simgrLZs

Well this one from 2010, where apparently Dave Cormack "refuses to work at Pittodrie while Milne is there"

http://www.donstalk.co.uk/index.php/topic,13571.msg210580.html#msg210580

:redface:

I do apologise Rico, consider me suitably chastised.

Any chance of Dave taking over from the bewigged one?

Well reading the P&J link, they make it sound like he's worth hundreds of millions, others that "management" had a 30% stake in the $800m sell off.

So, kinda leaves us up in the air. Gotta be good news for the stadium though, but would have been even better if it was our Fergus McCann moment.

That's the guy who was hear a while ago as chief executive, or some other title, but didn't like the way Milne was running the club and was he not trying to oust him?

If I remember well, he came across as a shrewd operator who knew Milne was bad for the club.  I remember him speaking a lot of sense about the Scottish game in general at the time then he flew the nest. Did we not replace him with the Gordon Bennett guy who was partial to a prostitute or three?

Hopefully he can bring some fresh ideas to the club and push us onward and upwards.

If I remember correctly Dave Cormack was always viewed or seen as being a bit of a charlatan.  It was like that back in 2000's when he came in.  Someone who talked a lot and who has done quite well but scratch the surface and all was not as it seems and he made a quick departure after being with the club for not very long.

Any investment is welcome but is it all as it seems?  He is worth $800m - aye ok, I am sure it's not as simple as that. 

Aside from the fresh ideas that are always welcome, but unless its change i.e. Milne buggering off into the twilight then what is it all about?

That's the guy who was hear a while ago as chief executive, or some other title, but didn't like the way Milne was running the club and was he not trying to oust him?

If I remember well, he came across as a shrewd operator who knew Milne was bad for the club.  I remember him speaking a lot of sense about the Scottish game in general at the time then he flew the nest. Did we not replace him with the Gordon Bennett guy who was partial to a prostitute or three?

Hopefully he can bring some fresh ideas to the club and push us onward and upwards.

Did he not replace Bennett (he was the one who liked the views down by the harbour right?)?

I thought he was Milne's guy around the time and, was it Cruikshank?, tried to oust Milne. The names maybe not right but he was something to do with the fans or the fans backed him, the one who when he walked away said he wouldn't invest any money in the club till Milne was gone.

Back in early 2000's Cummings and Cormack departed the board.  Willie Miller replaced Cormack I think after Cormack gave Milne notice he wanted to 'go home to look after his daughter'.

Cormack dismissed the idea it was a fall out with Milne (Cummings fell out with Milne) and instead he said he needed to go back to the US as 'his daughter had health problems'.

Cummings was the one who said he 'could not have Milne 100%' - different man.

Cormack fell out with Skovdhal not Milne.

As with any stream of business at this level (boardroom) there is the usual ego's, interest, self interest and invovlement.

To me its nothing new, Milne said he wants a 'sounding board' in Cormack - I would suggest the $800m fortune is a smokescreen just to provide confidence.

Is he putting in hard cash for players or the 'stadium'?

No - Callum Melville was also a Charleton on the board at Dundee. Different guy. He was someone who said he was a successful oil tycoon but turned out to be a phoney or someone on the brink of losing money.

Cormack fell out with Shkovdhal and followed Jim Cummings out the door from Pittodrie not soon after Cummings announced he could not give the club 100% if Milne was in charge.  If I remember correctly there was a fight or near fisticuffs between Cummings and Milne in the stand at Easter Road during one game.

Cormack said absolutely nothing publically about Milne or support for him.  He was given 3 months to move on while Milne looked for someone else to help him. This was why Willie Miller came in.

On leaving Aberdeen Dave Cormack DENIED any fall out with Milne and said he was going home to 'look after his daughter'.

That is about it.

I remeber him. Good guy with AFC at his heart. I remember him falling out with Milne but I don't recall Cormack being painted in a bad light at all - I'm sure it was seen as a big blow when he left.

Yep, that was my impression too, but I seem to remember others thinking - and perhaps it was surrounding his (lack of) support for Cummings - that he could/should have challenged Milne for chairmanship of the club. I suspect that that was never his intention and not really something for others to judge him on.

As coincidence would have it Cormack's company or his former company (Brighttree) or whatever they are called are based or have a base in Westhill adjacent or not far from where Kingsford may be built and not far from - Stewart Milne Construction!!!!

Its a cloud software company so lots of the workers are remote based but they have been trying to sell health system product in Scotland to private firms.

As far as I am aware this may be a two-way arrangement. He has clubs interests at heart and is a knowledgeable guy in terms of business rather than football though.  He is offering business acumen to the club in terms of technological advancements, insights and advice consultancy i.e. new ticket office systems, business to business links, social media technology strategies, system development - drive product engagements i.e. improve how the club sell stuff.

Hot off the press: Colleague sitting next to me. Milne and his wife/partner are close personal friends of Cormack and his wife.  They are golf friends, charity partners and have all known each other for 25 years+. 

Cormack is Milne's mate.