Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Official - Europa League 2017/18

So confirmed we are getting an extra couple of weeks to prepare for our entry into this tournament and will be seeded for our second round tie.

Obviously a little early to discuss our chances of reaching the group stages again as require to see who our potential opponents are and also what players actually come and go from the club in the coming weeks.

Anyone got any preference for a location for our second round opponents  ???

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've absolutely loved this time of year the last 3 seasons.  Already told work i'll have to take my holidays at short notice again! 

From a purely selfish point of view I would have preferred a round 1 start as it means an extra euro trip and to be honest I don't think playing the 1st round has done us any harm in previous campaigns but I ain't going to grudge a squad of our size a few extra weeks rest before getting back in to it.

Again, just being selfish I would like to draw one of the Estonian teams.  I am thinking about taking the camper there later in the year so would be good to get a recce trip in first.  Wouldn't complain if we drew the N.I team either though.  Would like to avoid Norway.

2i055p2.jpg

Negative: Would much rather have played in 1st round and got a quirky tie. 

Plus there is only a one week break between 2nd leg of the 1st round (6th July) and 1st leg of second round (13th July).  There is no chance the players will get that much of a difference of time off - myth.

The club also loses out on a 15k attendance from the home leg.  The chances are we won't know our opponents until a week before the 1st leg tie.

Last time we had same scenario - 2nd round entry we got beat 8-1 from Olomouc.  Olomouc/KR played in 1st qualifying round and we did not know until a week beforehand it would be Olomouc we played - 1-5 hammering.

Positive: Preparations with the players, rest for another week.  Focusing on 2nd round tie.

Avoiding a potential banana skin - Fola Esch and Shkëndija should have beaten us.

The fact you can be seeded can be an advantage but given depth of teams that enter it's still easy to come out of the hat against the likes of Shkëndija as chances are all the incredibly poor teams get knocked out in the round 1.

Need to avoid Huagasund IMO - mid season and good standard.

Knowing our fecking luck we'll draw thon FC Kairat (or Kairat Almaty or fitever they're actually called) on the other side of the globe again.  At least we'll have enough airmiles to exchange for a new stadium.

:rofl:

All joking aside, I had that fear too.  I'm happy we've got into the second round of qualifiers, but we should really be looking to get into the group stages. That would be a game changer.

The Sigma thrashing was more a result of playing Stuart Duff and Derek Young in central defence.

Fuck sake Slim, still have horrific flashbacks to that night.

McGhee's first game in charge, stadium full of optimism.

That didn't last long did it ?

Small point of order.....Derek Young was stuck in the right back position not central defence ;)

Aye, right back.

I was so excited about the board appointing the right manager at last, I left work early, in the pub at 3 o' clock.

Pished as a fart, lost my scarf, but at least I was there to see the start of a glorious new era.

Fuck, I hate fitba sometimes.

Aye, right back.

I was so excited about the board appointing the right manager at last, I left work early, in the pub at 3 o' clock.

Pished as a fart, lost my scarf, but at least I was there to see the start of a glorious new era.

Fuck, I hate fitba sometimes.

Can't say I ever shared that thought about him.

Seriously doubt AFC will be seeded in QR3 (if we qualify) but going to be tough whoever we get as amongst seeded are:

AC Milan

Sociadad

Everton

Lyon

Zenit

Marseille

Dinamo Zagreb

'atta boy.  Stay positive  :hammer: Just wait till June the 19th like everyone else, book your flights and enjoy yourself.

Seriously doubt AFC will be seeded in QR3 (if we qualify) but going to be tough whoever we get as amongst seeded are:

AC Milan

Sociadad

Everton

Lyon

Zenit

Marseille

Dinamo Zagreb

I hear it only gets harder as the competition progresses too.  :( :( :( :( :(

Neither, I am just super intelligent.

How does that explain Ryan Jack coming on as a second half substitute about a week after you exclusively revealed that your partner's best mat, Ryan Jack's missus telt her (or him) that he'd just had groin surgery?