Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Pubs in Aberdeen from the old days

oldtimer

We are looking for stories and memories from some of the pubs in Aberdeen that have either closed down or are still going strong. Anything with dates, history or just a good stories of places we have been drinking in for the last 50 years or so. It all started with a conversation at half time a few weeks ago. And now we are trying to research it as a little project, maybe there is book or a pub guide to the old days in there. The last good pub guide came out in 1975. So if anybody can still remember their drinking days from the past, then post a message. Remember to try to add in dates and street names, but what out it does become addictive trying to remember the names of pubs that are long gone or even names that have been changed many times over.

Stories from the old days? Fuck, where do we start?

In 1980, my mate and I were in the Blue Lamp one Friday afternoon and decided to go somewhere different. We couldn't think where to go so got the yellow pages fae Ma Broon and were astonished to find that there were 23 pubs in the city that neither of us had ever been in. Using Aberdeen's finest transport service, we bussed all over and by Sunday night, the double 2 at Balnagask being our last, we could safely say we had drunk in every bar in Aberdeen.

It was a half pint in most and move on, not only just to tick the boxes but cos they were shit. Most of the the ones we'd not been to were Dyce and Bucksburn, which kind of explains the need to get the fuck out of there sharpish. Never liked that part of the city, nor the Bridge of Don. Torry pubs were excellent and we'd ticked off Northfield and George Street and Hilton by then, easy underage drinking venues as was Mastrick, all down to earth. West End for a trap. Plus Gabriels and Champers.

Here's one. On my birthday, we were scooping upstairs in the Blue Lamp. They had a DJ playing all the excellent stuff of the day and it was chilled out. We were literally having one of everything on the gantry, Campari, Southern Comfort, Rum, Gin, Benedictine, Vodka, Creme de Menthe, a'hin. That's when you could get blootered for less than a fiver.

Sandy says - you guys are hitting it hard tonight. Yeah it's my birthday, says I. Oh congratulations he said, putting out his hand, 21? Nah, 18 I said whilst shaking his hand. The look on his face was priceless. We had been regulars for two years!

Heres a few that we frequented but no longer exist.

Coming off the train for the fitba,our first port of call was either Aitchies,over the road on Guild St,or the Scotch corner nearby.We were underage at the time,and looked it,but they were never too busy,and were happy with the custom.Another was the Clansman,up the Adelhpi.Think it was only the once.We had "lunch" there and the best they could do was a minging mince pie,chips and beans.Didna go back in a hurry

The Drift Inn was also a very regular haunt.Normally a bit of a dive,but on a Saturday afternoon it was often stowed out when they held the blues jams,as did Oh Henrys,c/w with Jerry Jablonski ably and beautifully supported by Kim the dancer who came on during the breaks  :razz:.My mate was the drummer at The Drift Inn and (being an ex drummer myself) often got invited up for a thrash.

The Venue - A bit of a dive in reality,but saw some great bands there in the 80s,same as Dobbies Ale House.Some cracking bands and drunken nights in both places

Heaps more coming to mind but that will do for now

A couple I used to frequent out of the town center were my "regular" The Cocket Hat, and one that used to go to occasionaly for a post work pint The Eggy Fart otherwise known as the Egg and Dart.

We were regulars in the Earls Court before it became the Egg and Dart. Shagged a barmaid there who was double my age. It was educational but not good enough to go back a third time.

Here's one. On my birthday, we were scooping upstairs in the Blue Lamp. They had a DJ playing all the excellent stuff of the day and it was chilled out. We were literally having one of everything on the gantry, Campari, Southern Comfort, Rum, Gin, Benedictine, Vodka, Creme de Menthe, a'hin. That's when you could get blootered for less than a fiver.

Sandy says - you guys are hitting it hard tonight. Yeah it's my birthday, says I. Oh congratulations he said, putting out his hand, 21? Nah, 18 I said whilst shaking his hand. The look on his face was priceless. We had been regulars for two years!

Had a girfrliend who was a couple of years younger than me. Did a very similar thing in the Tilted Wig, when Gordon the bar manager found out she was only 18 he wished her happy birthday and then barred her for 6 months

Heres a few that we frequented but no longer exist.

Coming off the train for the fitba,our first port of call was either Aitchies,over the road on Guild St,or the Scotch corner nearby.

coming off the train after an away game the first stop had to be Platform 9.

Worst bar I remember drinking in was the Eastender. Beside where Christos is, or Christos is where it was...or whatever. Don't think I was ever in there when there wasn't a huge barney.

Aye min,but we were coming off the train before the home games(from up north late seventies,early eighties)

Mid to late eighties, the Belmont at Saturday lunchtime til  tea time.Quick snooze,wake up feeling like shite,then back to the Belmont,Hayloft/Clarkies,Buzz Beez,then later,Ritzy or Gabriels    :spaz:

All long gone

To many to name them all ,

Typical Friday ,Saturday night. Early eighties

Castle Bar , Saltire (Tappet Hen) ,Tamells,  Hay Loft , Studio 30 Bridge Bar, Sweepers ,Cousins

Fusion  or Barrie Rubbles, or Cotton Club

Nearer home

Torry Bar , 19th Hole ,Golden Tee,    All now closed !!!

>:D  >:D  >:D

To many to name them all ,

Typical Friday ,Saturday night. Early eighties

Castle Bar , Saltire (Tappet Hen) ,Tamells,  Hay Loft , Studio 30 Bridge Bar, Sweepers ,Cousins

Fusion  or Barrie Rubbles, or Cotton Club

Nearer home

Torry Bar , 19th Hole ,Golden Tee,    All now closed !!!

>:D  >:D  >:D

The Golden Tee is shut?? When did that happen?  Shocked at that, used to be packed out the door years ago.

The Double Two is now flats as well, that was a rough place when I was a loon, some right hard cunts drank in there.

Is the Portland bar/club still open? Mind my pal inviting us in town for a night out and suggested we go to the Portland beforehand for a few swifties.I turned up thinking it was a trendy joint, in the dress of the time(mid eighties) ,jeans tucked into ankle boots,"casual" jumper tucked into jeans,hair nicely positioned with hairspray.

Oooft,what a joint,some right psychos in there.Cheap booze,and the very basic tables and chairs,a hardened drinkers den,felt a bit of a fag and left sharpish.

Another few I mind being in was the TGWU club just off George st somewhere,and the Civil service club just off crown st.Watched a couple of bands in a fine wee bar in the Imperial hotel,Exchange st

Elgin min, those "clubs" were all "working class" dens that survived by serving cheap drink to cheap people. Don't get me wrong, some fine folk frequented these places but there was a reason they preferred the "safety" of these clubs than the pubs that 90%+ of us went to instead. Put it this way, what were the chances of getting a trap in there?

Then again, with you breaking all the rules, you were always starting behind the 8 ball. Tucking jeans into boots, tucking jumpers into jeans and wearing hairspray was NEVER acceptable.

Rocket min!

Paying ANY attention to what blokes are wearing is unacceptable.

Anyway, talking about traps in dives, I got a trap in Clair's Bar once.

I know I know, what the fuck was I doing in there?

Anyway, I was left with little choice

She came out of the bogs with a mate, pointed at me standing at the bar and said " him"

I'd really rather not talk about it.

It was a slick operation - cutting edge fashion, low booze prices and top patter with the ladies at nightclubs later.

We certainly werent in those joints for the talent,only the cheap booze to avoid club prices later on

Final mention to the Woodend bar,Dyce.Went in by for a pint regularly(late eighties) when my mate Angus was working behind the bar.Good old fashioned bar,still on the go I believe