Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Summer transfer window

Who do you see / want to see coming in over the summer?  Peepaw and Alexander have been confirmed as both leaving

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/aberdeen-goalkeeper-neil-alexander-set-leave-dons/

Does this mean Rogers will actually be at the club?  Can't say i'm surprised and he is pretty old now anyway.

McGinn and Jack are still unknown but there appears to be a few making moves now which is not something we've seen for a while.  Personally, i'd like to see us get another left back now that Shinnie appears to be played in mid pretty much all the time.  Consi and O'Connor to be choice pairing with a new CB coming in to provide cover.  I'd say then we need another winger (should McGinn leave) and another CM if Jack leaves.  There is also the striker problem in which we are still reliant on Rooney, even if he is misfiring or short of form, he's still our leading scorer by some distance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If McGinn goes Id like to see him replaced by Nicholson from Fartz who is also out of contract and hasnt signed a new contract there

Jack leaving presents a bigger problem IMHO. Theres really no one in Scotland that springs to mind beyond Djoum again at Fartz and he has made it abundantly clear he wants to go down south. Maybe Deek and his contacts might have somebody in mind from the English lower leagues.

Taylor......well theres Devlin at Accies  whos also at club captain at 21 but personally Id prefer Liam Lindsay from Partick who is a better all round footballer, however rumours persist he is Leeds bound.

Finally Peepaw.....well as he was essentially a squad player I'd be quite comfortable with Deek taking a punt on a lower league Scottish youngster but if he decides he wants someone with a bit of SPFL experience then perhaps Cadden from Murderwell would be worth a punt

I think Osman from partick could be worth a look, I quite liked his style in the quarter against Partick.  Ali Crawford is a player I have always admired and is expected to leave hamilton in the summer.  He'll have a year left on his deal and there will likely be interest from England as well so I'm not holding my breath but he would be an excellent replacement for pawlett and it would be great to see the club make a bid for him.  Lets not forget Smith will be back in the summer and by all accounts he's done pretty well and playing regularly.  I've always thought Smith was pretty classy and I'd like to see him given another opportunity but I can understand why others may not agree. 

Despite recent improved form i would be looking to replace Taylor,  Josh Meekings is out of contract at ICT and he's always looked pretty handy to me. Devlin is an interesting idea but I've not seen much of him.  It would be nice to see the club going for someone like that though, i.e. young yet seasoned Scottish player on the up. There was talk of Brian Easton to play LB, he's solid enough and can cross but he's not any quicker than Considine sadly.

It'll be interesting. Don't think McInnes has had this many first-teamers to replace since he took over (assuming Jack, McGinn and Taylor don't re-sign). It's a case of priorities I reckon, as there's a lot of spaces to fill. We're looking at 4 good players required, that have to hit the ground running and be able to get straight in the team.

One defender, either a left back or right-sided centre back

One midfielder to replace Jack

One attacker to replace McGinn

One striker to challenge Rooney

That's going to be very difficult. If we can get Jack and McGinn to re-sign that'd take a lot of pressure off. Really focus on a good striker, with a defender being a secondary priority (I'd hate to see us sign pish, but there is room for error there with O'Connor, Reynolds and Considine all very capable of performing well in the SPL).

If Jack and McGinn go, then priorities move to those two positions with a striker dropping down the list, which could cost us.

I work on the assumption that you can generally only get one or two good (first-team good) signings in one window with our resources. Lewis and maybe Maddison were ours this season. We probably have a one-in-four success rate with signings. I'm not judging that figure, I suspect other teams are in a similar position (Kille, one-in-forty).

We really need to start blooding some of the more promising youngsters like Scott Wright, Frank Ross, the boy McLennan and the Italian sounding boy. I'm sure one of them must be capable of replacing Pawlett.

I'd second the shouts for Devlin or Lindsay in defence.

McGinn's going to be the hardest player to replace, players who can provide the amount of goals and assists that he does don't come cheap. Is Alex Schalk at Ross County any good? I haven't seen him play too much, but often see him on SPFL highlights scoring good goals, sometimes cutting in from out wide like McGinn does.

We really need to start blooding some of the more promising youngsters like Scott Wright, Frank Ross, the boy McLennan and the Italian sounding boy. I'm sure one of them must be capable of replacing Pawlett.

I'd second the shouts for Devlin or Lindsay in defence.

McGinn's going to be the hardest player to replace, players who can provide the amount of goals and assists that he does don't come cheap. Is Alex Schalk at Ross County any good? I haven't seen him play too much, but often see him on SPFL highlights scoring good goals, sometimes cutting in from out wide like McGinn does.

Schalk is an interesting one. I remember Deek said that County have one or two players that earn more then out highest earner and I suspect Schalk is one of them. So not sure what could be done there with regards wages. I don't think he's worth breaking the bank for.

I guess it's the only way to entice some players that far north.

There have been rumours that we're going for that big Motherwell defender who got the head knock on Saturday and was playing with a bandage thereafter - Haneghan?

Might be unfounded Bobby, but I heard that one about six weeks ago i.e just after the Jan transfer window shut.

Schalk is an interesting one. I remember Deek said that County have one or two players that earn more then out highest earner and I suspect Schalk is one of them. So not sure what could be done there with regards wages. I don't think he's worth breaking the bank for.

I guess it's the only way to entice some players that far north.

Seriously  ???

I'd be very surprised if that were true :o

This is the biggest window for us in years with us most likely losing influential players. We do need to add younsters to the squad and give them opportunities which is not DMs style but the young boys should replace Pawlett.

Would like to see Rogers stay and push Lewis and maybe given a chance in some cup games BUT we are not Man. Utd where the back up plays every cup game. We still need to field our best 11 to win trophies.

Taylor needs to go and needs to be replaced by a commanding leader type central defender, not some young guy with potential. Perhaps a central defender with a similar background to Joe Lewis who may have lost his way a little. I'm being realistic to what we'd be willing to spend. No clue if Devlin or Lindsay are any good.

McGinn needs replaced by a stud. Arguable our best player for the last 5 years. He has produced every season and will be a big loss. I'd say we need an internationalist to replace an internationalist.

Jack is an established first team player and club captain. Needs replaced by an established player and leader. I'd assume Shinnie will be central midfield and club captain but we need a strong addition here.

I reckon Deek will do his usual by not signing what we need, well maybe one and leave us scratching out heads at other signings, but no doubt he will add at least one player who will improve us. I like the boy Crawford from Hamilton and a couple of Partick players, but no doubt it will be free signings and loans.  McGinn will be a huge loss and so would Jack, but not fussed about the rest leaving, I am sure either Reynolds or Taylor will be staying.

It should be an interesting summer that's for sure and if we do lose McGinn and Jack be a real test for McInnes to replace them.

I know it's the The Sun so take it for what it's worth. Being linked with Mikey Devlin from Accies, is he any good? Central defender, right?

Not that it means much but I do prefer us signing and developing Scottish players rather than some English guy from league one or two.

I know it's the The Sun so take it for what it's worth. Being linked with Mikey Devlin from Accies, is he any good? Central defender, right?

Not that it means much but I do prefer us signing and developing Scottish players rather than some English guy from league one or two.

As I said before he is captain of Accies at 21 although they do have a history of doing this and a previous young captain there who got bigged up (Ziggy Gordon) actually turned out to be a pile of poo. For what it's worth Devlin seems to be a traditional type no nonsense centre half who carries a bit of a goal threat in the oppo box at set pieces.

If the rumour were to be true I certainly wouldn't be unhappy as he would be relatively cheap in wages and could turn out to be a decent future asset.

However as I have also stated I would definitely prefer Lindsay from Thistle as he is a more modern type centre half who can make decent passes out of defence as well as doing the defensive duties well and looks to have a bit more pace than Devlin. I suspect however that his wage demands, due to the constant rumours of moves to English Championship sides (Leeds especially) may put him out of our range

• 3 weeks later...

O'Connor, I've heard a lot about him being "played out of position" as he's a holding midfielder and that's where he should be played.  I have to say I completely disagree.  I've thought he's been shite in midfield when he did play there, for a start he's far too slow. That's two big games he's fucked up, do we have to look to replace him in the summer?

O'Connor, I've heard a lot about him being "played out of position" as he's a holding midfielder and that's where he should be played.  I have to say I completely disagree.  I've thought he's been shite in midfield when he did play there, for a start he's far too slow. That's two big games he's fucked up, do we have to look to replace him in the summer?

It's two big games where he's been played on the left of the centre backs and he looks uncomfortable there.  Looked miles better on the right hand side of the two beside Considine.  There appears to be no understanding and little communication between him and Taylor. 

I think there is a player there in O'Connor and he showed in the early part of the season that he can read the game very well.  I just don't think we're going to see it beside that galloot Taylor.

It's two big games where he's been played on the left of the centre backs and he looks uncomfortable there.  Looked miles better on the right hand side of the two beside Considine.  There appears to be no understanding and little communication between him and Taylor. 

I think there is a player there in O'Connor and he showed in the early part of the season that he can read the game very well.  I just don't think we're going to see it beside that galloot Taylor.

Taylor is definitely a big part of the problem, but i'm sure everyone can agree on that one.  Possibly a game where Shinnie should have been played at Left back to allow Consi alongside O'Connor?  But not sure who'd really step up in the middle of the park. 

Great post, and an illuminating one for me.

I know you've said it before but I'm beginning to think that this is the nail on head.

I was fuming that Taylor got recalled for the final after FIVE weeks out. I was fuming that AOC got dropped for Ibrox the next game.

Because we went into the final on the back of two consecutive away wins where Shinnie played LB, it didn't occur to me that AOC's performance would have been so influenced by who he was playing alongside and where relative to him he stood. In this regard, I think you've seen something way before the manager who gets paid a lot of money to know shit like this.

AOC was never a concern for me. He was getting a good run of games and he was solid at the back. I don't recall him having a particularly bad game in the final. Yes the penalty was a cumbersome lazy mistake but the horse had bolted by then and he would have been as defeated as the rest of us. To have then been dropped for months thereafter was pathetic management in my book, particularly as he stuck with Taylor who just isn't good enough.

You were wrong about Kenny Mc. You're spot on about AOC. Maybe there is a worthy footballer in there if he was managed correctly. I fear because of his dreadful errors on Sunday, we may never find out as he may be scapegoated again. This all boils down to recruitment inadequacies in midfield and having to play Shinnie there. He's a natural LB and Consi is CB.

AOC was never a concern for me. He was getting a good run of games and he was solid at the back. I don't recall him having a particularly bad game in the final. Yes the penalty was a cumbersome lazy mistake but the horse had bolted by then and he would have been as defeated as the rest of us. To have then been dropped for months thereafter was pathetic management in my book, particularly as he stuck with Taylor who just isn't good enough.

O'Connor was terrible in the final. Everytime he came out of defence with the ball he got caught on his wrong foot. He was at fault for three of the goals, two of which he ushered the defender into a shooting position rather than out wide or on to his own strong foot inside. It was only the second time O'Connor played on the wrong side of defence, the first being against the huns, and it should have been obvious that it wasn't his position. As you say, we played well with Shinnie at left back prior to that and we should have stuck with it with Taylor on the bench (O'Connor on the right side). That would have left Jack alongside McLean in the centre with Maddison in front. In fairness to McInnes, that in itself could have caused us many problems.

O'Connor is a good defender. Better than Taylor in my opinion (just in case that was in doubt). He's better on the ball than Taylor, which is why - correctly - he draws the short straw to play on the left of defence. He's easily good enough to play on that side of defence against most teams in the league, and especially at home. When he has time on the ball, he's excellent. His distribution in the second half (pre-error) was fantastic - a cracking ball to Logan the highlight. However, when playing against the better (or on form) teams in the league, he gets pressured a lot more and struggles a little and begins to make mistakes as he tries to force the ball onto his right foot and dithers a little. That said, I think his mistakes at the weekend were caused by those round him. Taylor's useless punt in the air put him right in the shite. Although Considine or even Reynolds would have dealt with it by putting it back to the keeper or even out of play. He tried to be clever because he's capable of picking a pass in that situation, but that doesn't mean he should - that's certainly a problem he has (knowing when to try shit) on both sides of defence.

To me, it isn't to do with partner, it is entirely positional. He simply isn't a left sided defender. The choice was whether to take Shinnie to left back, drop Taylor with Mclean dropping deep and Christie playing high up, or stick with what had been working. McInnes got it right in my opinion, and I doubt anyone on here would disagree. That was the best available team until we sign a replacement left back. It's unfortunate for O'Connor that he is the one that is asked to play out of position, but there were few other options. I think we'll see a back three for the Saints game, with O'Connor playing in the centre of Consi and Taylor. Until Reynolds comes back, there isn't another option. I think he'll slot straight back in for the semi and O'Connor will be dropped. I'd prefer to see an extended run of O'Connor alongside Reynolds.

One further thing that was a bit worrying was O'Connor's response to the bollocking fae Jack. It was at that point he got jittery and his game went awry. It could just have been coincidence, but it didn't look like it. If he can't respond well to that, then that is a bit concerning. However, I've never believed that players screaming at each other helps at all and more often than not has a detrimental effect. Jack shouldn't be captain if he can't be encouraging rather than just angry. He was right in his criticism, but he should be stirring the team up and egging them on rather than the other way round.