Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 8643 times)

Online Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »
Starting to go a bit tits up for Europe. As it stands they'll cling on for a narrow victory but the Yanks hve points in the bag , Europe's guys with leads are still mid round and have time to be reeled in. Great TV though

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2018, 05:06:17 PM »
A humping.

Monty did say Europe had an exceptional team...

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2019, 12:37:28 PM »
This is worth a watch.  Henrik Stenson, comedy gold.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/golf/46925470

Online minijc

• Captain
  • Rating: -184
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2019, 08:53:13 PM »
European Tour are very good with their social media videos, Eddie Pep is superb in that one.
Just fuck off and die.

LIMA OSCAR LIMA

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -160
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2019, 08:57:51 AM »
Aberdeen man David Law won the European Tour event just now in style with an eagle at the last. Brilliant performance and well deserved. There are no shortcuts to success. This 27 year old has worked so hard and having witnessed his last 28 holes when he won at Spey Valley last year, he's one of the most improved golfers I've ever seen. So chuffed for him and hopefully a MASSIVE boost for the sport in the North East  :thumbsup:
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Garlogie_Granite

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 14
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »
Aberdeen man David Law won the European Tour event just now in style with an eagle at the last. Brilliant performance and well deserved. There are no shortcuts to success. This 27 year old has worked so hard and having witnessed his last 28 holes when he won at Spey Valley last year, he's one of the most improved golfers I've ever seen. So chuffed for him and hopefully a MASSIVE boost for the sport in the North East  :thumbsup:
Aye brilliant stuff, and having taken so long to get on tour, amazing that he's not just done well, but won a tournament so soon.

Offline rumpus2

• Under 19's
  • Rating: -4
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2019, 08:04:02 PM »
I took golf lessons a few weeks ago.

Inchmarlo. Good.

Bend my knees slightly more to be less rigid, apart from that my swing is flawless.

Hope it's a summer like last, golfing in NE Scotland is world class when sun shining.

• First Team
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2019, 02:11:43 PM »
Rory v Tiger in the WGC Matchplay tonight. Should be worth a watch. Rory seems to have rediscovered the hunger of late. If Woods can keep it in play off the tee it could be a belter.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2019, 02:17:29 PM »
Rory v Tiger in the WGC Matchplay tonight. Should be worth a watch. Rory seems to have rediscovered the hunger of late. If Woods can keep it in play off the tee it could be a belter.

It's on right now! Tiger has shaved the last two holes. His long iron into the par 3 was a thing of wondrous awesomeness.

• First Team
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »
F@#k, thought it would be later. Thanks

Offline rumpus2

• Under 19's
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2019, 10:34:04 PM »
Played brilliant first outing this year at end of last week.

On advice from Professional when spending a vouchers received at Christmas, I have adapted to a more deliberate keen bend and hip swivel arrangement.

Spent quite a few evenings down at driving range during February/ March mastering what I'd been taught; paid dividends. Literally.

Great feeling receiving money at 19th hole from an annoyed friend. Plus the snappy humiliating remarks to accompany. Roll on this Friday afternoon, same again.

Offline rumpus2

• Under 19's
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »
Almost Friday though...

Teeing off at 3pm. Haven't so much as lifted a club since last Friday, would be a shame to jeopardise this rich vein of form I've struck so early in the season.

Offline Madbadteacher

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 44
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2019, 11:06:36 PM »
Tomorrow, Sunday, will be the 40th anniversary of my only hole in one
CO100
H2S25
CH450
O218

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2019, 11:14:40 PM »
Tomorrow, Sunday, will be the 40th anniversary of my only hole in one

I've had three since then, and made sure to buy everybody in the clubhouse a drink afterwards.

The first was mid 80's at Carnoustie on a wet winter day, cost me less than a fiver.

The second was at Alford on a midweek afternoon, cost me less than a fiver.

The third was in a medal at my home club in St Andrews about 2005/2006. That cost me £21 as the custom is to put 3 x half bottles on the bar.

It's a monkey off the back, a rite of passage, the hole in one. Great feeling.

• First Team
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2019, 11:33:02 AM »
Wonderful Masters so far, great final day in prospect.  The Tiger effect in full flow, what a difference he makes to a tournament when he is in contention.  Sure it must be having an impact on the viewing figure here, not just in the US.

Got me thinking last night, with all the rule changes this year to get rid of some of golf's petty issues, why on earth do tournament pros have to keep their own scores when there is normally a referee nearby?  Must be the only sport in the world where this happens and where the prospect of winning could be jeopardised by putting the wrong number in a box.  Ridiculous in a sport where modern technology plays such a huge part.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2019, 11:55:50 AM »
Molinari produced one of the greatest rounds we've ever seen, relentlessly consistent and beautiful to watch. Ken Broon described it as the best he's ever seen at Augusta. One of my mates, who won on the European Tour back in the day said it was "Probably some of the best golf EVER been played in the history of the game".

This may be the most exciting Masters ever.

Online Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »
Switched to watching the golf the minute Celtic got their opener. Molinari scrambled well first 7 or 8 holes and with everyone else pretty much bogeying or worse after birdieing and getting close momentarily, looked like Molinari would stroll to a comfortable win. But it's all gone tits up for him in the last hour and after a double bogey on the short 12th, is no longer in the lead....Cantlay just birdied 15 to lead by 1. Oh and now joined there by Schauffele. Woods and Molinari 1 back. Glad I chose the golf looks like it could be an epic finish with the weather starting to worsen as I write.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »
This is the closest Masters in memory. With a number of Tiger's putts coming up short, it would be easy to say he's forgotten how to win or that he's happy to be in contention for the first time in a decade in a major but the simple truth is that's he's the best golfer this century, by miles. Fascinating last six holes awaits.

Online minijc

• Captain
  • Rating: -184
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »
He's just hit the front, there's definitely something burning inside him
Just fuck off and die.

LIMA OSCAR LIMA

• First Team