Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Ryan Jack

Starting to look very good again, must admit his form before fairly recently was patchy to say the least, in recent weeks though he has looked back to his form of 2 seasons ago when we were all raving about him.

Still think Shinnie should be our captain though as he is more likely to badger the ref, when needed.

If Ryan could only stop turning back & go forward more, i'm sure he would be in the Internationai set up, mind you  :dunno:mabye nae.

Thoughts ...

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was up north this w/e,so missed the game yesterday,but dont think its a coincedence that he's been playing alongside a more imposing guy in Shinnie? and he had Robson beside him when he was getting all that attention a couple of years ago.He seems quite a shy loon and those guys bring him out of himself.Certainly dont or didnt think he was confident enough for captain,but lets see how this pairing develops.

Would still prefer a bigger unit beside him,with Shinnie at l/b,but maybe that suitable guy wasnt available in the window.Hope we get it sorted in summer

Aye, yer right Elgin, Jack started the season very well alongside Shinnie and is now playing well again. I'd say that Jack has had a decent season overall, with a poor spell when he came back from injury which coincided with Deek chopping and changing the midfield. A good, predictable, dependable midfield partner brings out the best in Jack. He's too disciplined and cautious when playing alongside a player who isn't those things (McLean, Flood etc). He's a very good midfielder who could go a lot further if we go a lot further with him.

There's always been a player in there, he's shown it on multiple occasions. A lot of our players seem to be confidence players.  He should never be playing alongside someone like McLean, who is incredibly talented but should be playing further forward anyway.  He hasn't got the balls to do what Shinnie appears to be doing.  Maybe it has been a case of Jack overthinking things, own accord or not, but as I've said in another thread, I think we'll miss him more than we know (edit: if we don't adequately replace him).  He does my head in sometimes, but when he's on his game, he's one of the best in the country.

• 2 months later...

Anyone else find it odd that it's Shinnie coming out doing the fighting talk and not our captain post disaster?  I'm guessing it probably speaks volumes about his intentions.  Whether he stays or goes, his form as been awesome for the past 5 months.

Probably not the players who decide who does the media though is it?

Fight was one thing we did see from Ryan on Sunday so I'm certainly not going to criticise him for nae speaking to the meeja.

Really? May as well have been sent off. Might have rallied the team like the last game against them. Instead he scared the shit out the defence, gave away the ball for the 1st and could have stopped the 2nd if we wasn't asleep on his heels.

Initially i was a massive fan of Jack and likened him to Simmie but the last couple of years i've not been impressed by him, until the last few weeks that is. I just wonder if this is him putting himself in the 'shop window'?

As for last week, i thought he had a decent game but he was guilty of arguing with the defence just after the first goal and they still hadn't sorted that out when the horrible bastards were coming forward again. He definitely had a hand in that second goal.

Jack is his own worst enemy. Certainly a terrific player when is head is right but often it is not. Too often he shirks responsibility but as he matures I think he'll only get better mentally. A Ryan Jack firing on all cylinders is a valuable asset to us. 

Jack is his own worst enemy. Certainly a terrific player when is head is right but often it is not. Too often he shirks responsibility but as he matures I think he'll only get better mentally. A Ryan Jack firing on all cylinders is a valuable asset to us.

Agreed

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe he and his family fancy a change in lifestyle. Or he could go to some English shitehole and play in the Championship. Good on him for considering something different (if it's nae a heap of pish of course).

Agree with this.  Most British footballers who go overseas to play for a bit end up as better players for the experience.

Frothing "eh?! Why would he do that?  He could be playing in the Championship" -type reactions remind me of John Hartson slating Oliver Burke for going to Germany when he could be playing for "the likes of Sunderland or Watford in the English Premier". 

Good luck to the kid.