Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Possible change in football?

manc_don

I see the law making governing body, IFAB, are discussing whether to introduce a yellow card sin bin. I think it would be a great idea providing the standard of refereeing is sufficient or teams will ens up getting fucked for poor decisions. I'd love there to be the same level of transparency and respect that referees get in Rugby, but the referees would need to earn it too. What does everyone else think? Scott Brown would be fucked.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38824937

Games are regularly ruined by sending offs, with the team losing a player going backs to the wall. I think it would ruin the flow of the game. 1 out of the 4 fouls that Shinnie committed toward his booking at the weekend was actually a foul, the rest were just poor decisions. Scott Brown would end up getting 90 warnings instead of a yellow.

A potential disaster. Sin bins wont work, as teams will just park the bus for the length of time the player is off. Also, i fear that if we were ever beating one of the gruesome twosome, we would likely have a player sin binned for the last 10 mins or so, just to ensure a better chance of victory for them. It gives the refs more power to control the outcome of a game and i dont like the idea of that at all.

A potential disaster. Sin bins wont work, as teams will just park the bus for the length of time the player is off. Also, i fear that if we were ever beating one of the gruesome twosome, we would likely have a player sin binned for the last 10 mins or so, just to ensure a better chance of victory for them. It gives the refs more power to control the outcome of a game and i dont like the idea of that at all.

I think that was the caveat that I was trying to get across, the refereeing in Scotland would have to be upped if this was going to work.  Otherwise the situation both you and Rico have described will materialise. I've long thought they should try to train up some rugby refs as a trial and get them to martial a game.  Could only be an improvement.

The threshold for cause to award a yellow card would have to be upped massively, or it would be the death of the game.

The average number of cards per match in Scotland is roughly 4, so that would be 4 10-minute spells of uneven teams over 90 minutes every game.

The Sevco-Dons match in December had 11 cards (9 yellows, 2 reds) - that's 9 players off the pitch for 10 minutes at a time, not counting the reds (which admittedly were at the end).

• 2 weeks later...

I'd prefer a better standard of referee and more done about poor performances from them.

If refs know they can be dropped for making huge screw ups, like the Celtic pen last week, I am sure their eyesight would improve dramatically.

Not a fan of sin bins, it would just be another stride towards the Americanisation of the game.