Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Charlie Says...

I realise this article is a couple of days old now but just wondered what folks take on it was...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3984080/Aberdeen-did-not-turn-Hampden-Park-point-prove-Ibrox-says-Charlie-Nicholas.html

To me he seems to be aiming the blame for Sundays capitulation at the players and says DM may now have trust issues with his players. That may be right because they didn't even start, but i would say the big question is WHY didn't they turn up? I don't think it's fear of going to the Weeg like Charlie suggests... fooking better not be because 20 odd thousand of us travelled there without fear.

Just interested in others opinion of Charlies rant.  :thumbsup:

what he says is pretty much bang on. But where he says

‘I thought Derek McInnes would have had a stronger mentality in the group but it looks like they’ve gone back the way and they aren’t convinced,’

I would take that as a criticism of McInnes, i.e. he's misread his players, not instilled that mentality etc.

Absolutely Charles.

piss poor against Maribor and the cup final.

I do wonder where McInnes gets this stubborness from.

I like him but he's starting to get on my tits with team selections.

Why break that back 4.

Why not stick with Stockley against Celtic

Why not get Burns running at them against Celtic

Why not play Storie again....I thought he had good potential the times I saw him.

Why not give Shankland more chances when he had talent.

Why not play 4-4-2 with McGinn as striker partner.if you're going to try things, why not that.

Why not pick a team who can beat the Hun by a few goals like farts did.

We have the players but I think 1 man is letting us down atm.

He doesn't comment much on Scottish football, and more importantly us, but when he does Ive found speaking a lot of sense. Was the last time he piped up around the magoo fiasco?

I don't remember the McGhee thing, but he did get ripped into Calderwood after the Dunfermline cup game at Pittodrie and he didn't miss the mark then either. Spoke with a lot of passion for the Dons too, he's a good guy Charlie.

I don't remember the McGhee thing, but he did get ripped into Calderwood after the Dunfermline cup game at Pittodrie and he didn't miss the mark then either. Spoke with a lot of passion for the Dons too, he's a good guy Charlie.

Maybe it was that episode i'm thinking of,  but I was certain he lambasted him after the dreaded 9-0.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how Brechin appears to be ahead of the rest of Western Europe, but hey ho:

Charlie Nicholas urges Derek McInnes to shake up Aberdeen squad

18:19 Friday 13 January 2017

Charlie Nicholas has told Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes to act now if he does not want to see the Dons' recent progress go to waste. McInnes' efforts since taking over four years ago have helped re-establish the Pittodrie outfit as serious contenders.

Former Aberdeen striker Charlie Nicholas is worried about his old side's progress But former Reds frontman Nicholas is worried his old side have gone backwards this term. Rangers have returned to the top-flight and currently lead Aberdeen by two points in second, albeit having played a game more.

However, Nicholas - who struck 36 goals during a two-year stint in the Granite City - believes they could slip further behind if McInnes cannot secure better back-up for the likes of Adam Rooney, Niall McGinn and Jonny Hayes. "I like when managers are feisty and Derek's that type," said the 55-year-old before joking: "I've never had a confrontation with him - and I'm not looking for one. "But I like his feistiness and I think it's good for Aberdeen.

"However, he has to shake this team up. It had a chance two years ago to beat Celtic and had another chance last year. I'm not saying they bottled it but the team showed a weakness. "I've heard him say this is the time for Aberdeen to step forward. Well only if they get second will they get any credibility. And is there even much credibility in that? "If they finish third, then Aberdeen will be on their heels again, worrying about Rangers. "It worried me before the League Cup final this season when Derek said if they finished second and got to a final, that would be a good season. I'm sorry, but it's not. "I don't care who you are and what your budget is, you have to be ambitious. "There is good players there. But when Aberdeen were putting Celtic out of the Scottish Cup a couple of seasons ago, then beating them at Pittodrie, who was playing? It was Rooney, McGinn and Hayes. "He's changed it this season though. Yes change it if you're making the team better but guys like Jayden Stockley aren't better than what was already there."

McInnes could even struggle to hold on to his main attacking triumvirate, with Cardiff reportedly set to launch a £500,000 swoop for Hayes, while McGinn is being courted by Hearts ahead of a proposed Bosman move this summer. But Nicholas urged his old side to redouble their efforts if they want to hold on to the duo. " I see Cardiff are in for Hayes," said the Sky Sports pundit. "But £500,000 would be ridiculous for a guy like him. "I also read that McGinn could potentially walk out of the door to Hearts. Come on, Aberdeen are better than that."

Dons chiefs are planning for the future and hope to get the green light later this year to build a new £50million stadium and training complex at Kingsford on the western edge of the city. Nicholas, though, cannot believe it has taken this long to get the blueprints drawn up. The former Scotland and Celtic hitman said: "They've got plans in place for a new stadium and a training facility. My God, how long does it take Aberdeen to get this sorted given the construction people they have on the board. "I went there in 1988. I'd left Arsenal, who had a 10-pitch training complex at London Colney where we trained on a different pitch every day. "But when I arrived at Pittodrie, we'd go and train at some park where you'd have dogs chasing the ball. I was thinking 'what the hell is going on?' It was crazy."

Read more at: http://www.brechinadvertiser.co.uk/sport/scottish-sport/charlie-nicholas-urges-derek-mcinnes-to-shake-up-aberdeen-squad-1-4338342

Spot on again, Charlie.

Can't really disagree with a word he says Bobby

It appears as if Mr Nicholas still holds the club the high esteem and whilst we all know who his first love is, it does demonstrate his time with us left a lasting impression upon him.

Can't really disagree with a word he says Bobby

It appears as if Mr Nicholas still holds the club the high esteem and whilst we all know who his first love is, it does demonstrate his time with us left a lasting impression upon him.

Totally.  Also nice to see someone with a high profile actually saying in public what a lot of the fans are thinking, and none of this "Aberdeen fans expect too much" you get from no marks like Steven Thompson.  He's actually willing us to push ourselves, as we absolutely should be doing. 

And good on him for calling out the likes of Stockley. 3 forwards brought in in the summer, don't think any of us would be too bothered if all 3 left in this window.