Author Topic: Brexit - Will it happen  (Read 17763 times)

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 33
Re: Brexit - Will it happen
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »
I have absolutely no problem with the SNP's position on Brexit as Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain and indeed, even when broken down into individual constituencies, each and every one returned a vote to remain. As has ben said, the SNP's job is to look after Scottish interests so if that conflates with UK interests then so be it.

That said, as things stand we are still a part of the UK. And the UK as a whole voted to leave. The Government was entrusted to ensure this happened but Theresa May wasn't satisfied with the majority she inherited from Cameron and felt she could strengthen her position in 2017 by holding a very early election. Bizarrely the Tories actually strengthened their position in Scotland but overall lost some of the majority and ended up weaker. This ennobled Remainers to star to do everything in their power to frustrate the Brexit process. The Irish backstop was Remainers "bonus ball" get out where they could pretty much always vote down any deal May was able to negotiate, although it turned out she was as weak as water anyway and the European negotiators left the table each time offering deals that in essence meant that we were only leaving in name only and to all purposes really weren't leaving at all.

The Irish backstop has no solution other than a return to a hard border. Not even Boris would be mad enough to risk that one given that certain factions of the IRA are already showing signs of a return to action. A hard border and full on terrorist activity would be inevitable. However any other option discussed so far has no real support and some of the ideas put forward have no technology available to implement them even if they could theoretically work. I'm certain that an Ireland wide plebiscite on reuniting the island is only a matter of 3 to 5years down the line and I think the result will be a united Ireland..........probably the best option all round although the Unionists will be furious and likely a good number will demand resettlement somewhere in Britain.

As for Brexit........will it happen? No I don't think it will now. The Tories should increase their standing in England in the inevitable forthcoming election but will lose a few seats in Scotland so likely we will still end up with a hung Parliament. I'm not sure then what I'd prefer.....a Boris led minority administration or a Corbyn coalition propped up by the SNP and Lib Dems. Either way, Brexit won't happen as the remainers should find enough support to frustrate any attempts to leave. A Corbyn led coalition would just cancel it full stop.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 118
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
Whilst this whole mess was created (and has been continued) by the Tories, the main issue has always been the Irish border.  It was never properly discussed, or conveniently largely ignored, during the referendum debates.

There are posts in this very thread from 2 years ago saying there are no solutions to this.  Although a unified Ireland is probably the only solution for a clean and orderly Brexit.

I have never believed Brexit would take place.

Oh and I see BoJo's brother can't be bothered with it all now either.

There will be nothing clean or orderly about the unification of Ireland. The proddies will kick aff big time. There was a riot just the other week in the Weej when a Irish Unity march was countered with a large group of UJ waving Huns. I'd love to see it but I can't envisage Ireland being unified full stop and certainly not without some large scale disturbance.

Online tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 38
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2019, 04:10:49 PM »
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 118
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »

Aye but it's really because of concerns about democracy.  ::) ::)

The nail has been struck square on the heid. Explains why Boris would "rather be dead in a ditch" than delay further.

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2019, 06:45:09 AM »
https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/brexit-disaster-capitalism-8-billion-bet-on-no-deal-crash-out-by-boris-johnsons-leave-backers/

So, how much are these firms set to make from Boris Johnson’s ‘do or die’ approach to Brexit?

From the financial data publicly available, Byline Times can reveal that currently £4,563,350,000 (£4.6 billion) of aggregate short positions on a ‘no deal’ Brexit have been taken out by hedge funds that directly or indirectly bankrolled Boris Johnson’s leadership campaign.

Most of these firms also donated to Vote Leave and took out short positions on the EU Referendum result. The ones which didn’t typically didn’t exist at that time but are invariably connected via directorships to companies that did.

Another £3,711,000,000 (£3.7 billion) of these short positions have been taken out by firms that donated to the Vote Leave campaign, but did not donate directly to the Johnson leadership campaign.

Currently, £8,274,350,000 (£8.3 billion) of aggregate short positions has been taken out by hedge funds connected to the Prime Minister and his Vote Leave campaign, run by his advisor Dominic Cummings, on a ‘no deal’ Brexit.