Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Brexit - Will it happen

Stupie82

No matter how you voted in the referendum, if at all, how do you see this playing out? Will May trigger article 50, allowing for Brexit to formally take shape, will she be allowed to at all? after all, there are attempts being made to stop her doing it altogether, stating she doesn't have the power.

I personally think we are all being taken for ride with this one. High court battles are taking place to try and stop May triggering it on her own. My guess is it will go to a parliament vote, who will then kick it out altogether... for "the good of the country" of course. I just cant see it taking shape or being allowed to. Theres too much unknown about its effects. Now whether you think thats a good thing or not, it certainly would be against the will of people and the majority of the the UK!

My thoughts on this are well documented.

From day 1 I said it wouldn't happen.

As for hatchet face, to begin with I thought she would just pretend to want to take us out but eventually, once public opinion was softened have to "reluctantly " change tack.

If she is doing this then she is playing a blinder, in fact Teresa quine, if you are reading this, give me a quick phone call to put my mind at rest.

Leaving the EU is suicide, the politicians all know it and now they have to find a way to present continued membership in a positive light.

All it ever was anyway was infighting among the tories and it went hideously wrong.

As for being against the will of the people, well why don't we have a referendum on getting rid of all " darkies" and see how that goes.

Leaving the EU is suicide, the politicians all know it and now they have to find a way to present continued membership in a positive light.

All it ever was anyway was infighting among the tories and it went hideously wrong.

As for being against the will of the people, well why don't we have a referendum on getting rid of all " darkies" and see how that goes.

Why is leaving the EU "suicide"?

The politicians do not "all know it". Haven't you ever seen BBC1 on a Sunday morning?

And it was clearly the will of the people to leave. You're not denying the principle of democratic process surely?

You must think that there is a net gain to the British people for remaining under a tertiary level of governance.

Haven't you considered the financial spend whilst remaining in it?

What about TTIP and other measures and the ease by which the EU can facilitate the US global hegemony project?

The NHS and the raping by the pharmas is pan-European.

Membership of the EU obfuscates the truth of public spending.

Surely independence from the EU would help us?

My thoughts on this are well documented.

From day 1 I said it wouldn't happen.

As for hatchet face, to begin with I thought she would just pretend to want to take us out but eventually, once public opinion was softened have to "reluctantly " change tack.

If she is doing this then she is playing a blinder, in fact Teresa quine, if you are reading this, give me a quick phone call to put my mind at rest.

Interesting we voted opposite, but both think it still wont happen. We differ on the democratic view of the referendum i see though. Regardless of the reasons why people voted for Brexit, they did so democratically and the government have a duty to now get Britain out of the EU. They wont of course, and it will be very interesting to see the public reaction when it eventually does get kicked out. No doubt there will be much posturing by anti-Brexit types, but I would be much more concerned about how a government can overturn such an important referendum, purely because they fear the unknown.

It's the known that worries them, not the unknown.

They have put themselves into a bastard of a position though.

Public opinion will be " managed" as it always is and then they will have another referendum.

Either that or ( my preferred option) there will arise a centre party to replace the Liberals and this party will win an overall majority in the House of Commons.

Having run on a "remain in the EU" manifesto this will democratically overturn the referendum result.

My biggest fear is that Tony Blair has something to do with the new centre party.

It's the known that worries them, not the unknown.

What is known? What do you know about the consequences of leaving that we don't?

( my preferred option) there will arise a center party to replace the Liberals and this party will win an overall majority in the House of Commons.

My biggest fear is that Tony Blair has something to do with the new center party.

A new "centre party"? This sounds like you still believe in right and left politics. There is NO right and left. The Tories under Cameron and Labour under Blair were exactly the same, pursuing the same agendas and serving the same masters. The Chilcott Report has ruined Blair's reputation for ever. He is soiled goods and much as they want him back, the people will never elect him.

There is change afoot. The people are waking up.

the fucking mess this government has got itself into would be hilarious, if it wasn't so serious.

If it comes to a vote in Parliament, I would expect it to go through.  Whether or not politicians agree with it is irrelevant

(I think most probably think it's bonkers idea, but are too afraid to say so), they will vote the way their constituency voted, to ensure they keep their seats (and expenses) at the next General Election.

Cameron and Blair may well have had similar policies but neither is in power anymore.

The Tories are being ripped apart by their right wing and Labour by their left.

The only real difference is that Labour's fighting is all done in public while the Tories are much better at hiding it.

I hope you are right about Blair, you should be but it's a frightening thought.

No point in arguing about it, just sit back and watch it happening, it won't take long.

A general election before the spring.

Cameron and Blair may well have had similar policies but neither is in power anymore.

The Tories are being ripped apart by their right wing and Labour by their left.

The only real difference is that Labour's fighting is all done in public while the Tories are much better at hiding it.

I hope you are right about Blair, you should be but it's a frightening thought.

No point in arguing about it, just sit back and watch it happening, it won't take long.

A general election before the spring.

Arguing isn't a bad thing. It's how we both learn. It's how we all learn. Important to define the areas of contention however.

Cameron and Blair weren't ever in power. You think it was Tony's idea to kill Dr Michael Kelly?

He was the figurehead, the one who "pulled the trigger" but like "call me Dave" was never in charge.

You think Hitlery Clinton would be in charge? You think Obama is?

It's not the "right wing of the party ripping the Tories". I'll give you Corbyn being different and "traditional left wing" but look at who he's had to beat, Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper being of the exact same stock as Blair and Cameron. The media (BBC & Sky) ongoing demolition job of Corbyn hasn't worked as they intended. I suggest you do more work to determine who "they" are because your traditional right and left model is decades out of date.

• 1 year later...

It’s about time the plug was pulled on this sham. We’re 17 months since the referendum and the government don’t appear to have a fucking clue.  In particular there appears to be no solution to the Northern Ireland border. I don’t believe the government can even walk away from negotiations because of the unresolved border issue.

Brexit will not happen. Time to stop the charade.

Right,good time to not talk football.

I was neutral on Brexit at the time of the referendum.Saw the benefits of both arguments but couldnt be swung enough one way or the other,so didnt vote.

Am having a look at the no deal argument.Be interested in folks opinions on these guys opinions if you can be arsed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBezWPpAdYM

Agree with you about Digby Jones.Didnt know much about Connolly.Some call him a bit pessimistic but he has a decent CV below

"The publication of “The Rotten Heart of Europe” led the Wall Street Journal Europe to name Bernard as one of its outstanding Europeans of the year in 1995 and in March 2001 he received the Frøde Jakobsen prize, awarded in Denmark for outstanding moral courage in public affairs. Bank of England Governor Mark Carney has identified Bernard as one of the very few economists who predicted the current global economic and financial crisis."

He wrote his book,critical about the EU,while working there and lost his job as a result

• 3 months later...

The English (and their sympathisers) are nae right in the heid.

I can only assume it's a plot to give them an excuse to walk away in a massive huff.

The football equivalent of their latest meeting is......Donstalk decide to have a meeting on how much we are going to thrash Celtic by tomorrow.

A commitee is formed ( amid much bad feeling and threats to join the hat etc.) and we get down to business.

Rocket wants a 1-1 draw but after we threaten to expose him in The Mail for once fancying his secretary he backs down grudgingly.

My suggestion of 9-0 is rejected on grounds of over optimism at this point although we all agree it is the eventual goal.

Day turns into night and the debate goes on

As dawn breaks the sky we present ourselves to the waiting press, declaring victory,solidarity and a major breakthrough in Scottish football, even Rocket is persuaded to smile for the cameras (all be it from the back row)

Big Al announces our momentous decision.....The Dons are going to win 6-0 and Celtic are going to have Scott Brown sent off and miss two penalties.

Overly pleased with ourselves we head for home.

Now, we only have to convince Celtic.

• 4 months later...