Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Tattie Holidays

1903_Redz

Being stuck offshore for almost the entire month of October means i miss the Tattie Hols, i go on Facebook and see what seems like ALL my 'friends' away on holiday....  :

Anyone away just now or soon? And where, if you were asked would you recommend?

A few years ago we went to Rhodes 2 years running which is unusual for us but only because we liked it so much the first time. I'd still recommend anyone go there. The Greek folk are so much more welcoming imo, much better than the Spanish who seem to take our custom for granted.

Only thing about Greece that gets on my wick is the plumbing system that belongs in Fred Flintstone's era. Nothing worse than emptying your jacksie after 6 pints of Mythos, a couple of raki chasers and a lamb kleftiko to then have to wipe said ringpiece and drop the paper in a bin ( where the lid is always always broken). Every day is banquet day for Greek bluebottles.

As a fabby wee alternative try Budva in Montenegro. Dubrovnik airport just 45 minutes up the road though theres a wee airport 10 minutes away in Tivat which has a few flights from Manchester and Gatwick. At present its mainly Russians that holiday there but in 2-3 years it'll be popular as hell.

Cheers for that TC. I know what you're saying about the bog issue, nae the best but i've seen that system in Spain and Mexico, it's certainly nae exclusive to Greece.

You mentioned Dubrovnik, that's a place i want to visit as i've heard good things about it. Not sure if it would be best visited as part of a cruise or actually spend a full two weeks there?

Aye the Greek bogs were horrid sometimes. Especially in the height of the heat.

Ankara in Turkey is good, without kids. Being built in the mountains its really hilly but its a beautiful and historic city. You need to learn a wee bit of Turkish though, not a lot of English speakers. Lots of bazaars, Turkish tobacco and coffee shops, great food and fells very safe even at night.

Aye Greece is a lovely place to go for me Athens was just historic and yes I'd love to go back especially a cruise around the med.

Athens was really nice, but stiflingly hot I thought!  Walking up the acropolis felt like walking to my own grave.

Been to Paros and Naxos myself, both very nice islands.  The latter being very popular with ze germans but plenty of nice food and beaches.

Heard lots of good things about Montenegro, would love to go before the world ends.

Head on doon to malaga redz, i know a few places,

I kinda agree with you regarding the spanish but also i dont,

I get on great with most of the spanish i have met, ma loons go to spanish school, spanish fitba team, and spanish pals and neighbours, and the thing is i try to speak the lingo, but alot of expats are rude and disrespectful towards the spanish, and that is very noticeable and that doesn't help when coming into holiday seasons with tourists, and then alot of then are rude and shitebags!

Anyway i thought i would say my bit.

South of Portugal is nice

Aye, Aberdeen's dead right enough.

Of course, in my young day, I was in a field picking tatties.

Bunch o' pooves nowadays.

pik yer tatties - pik yer tatties - get yer back intit  - pik yer fuckin tatties!!!

skullin was where it was at. Doing nothing but tipping the baskets into the big wooden boxes and chucking the rotten ones off peoples arses while they were doubled over picking.

£20 a day was serious money as well. 2 weeks, £200 in  the hipper. 20 B&H a day, bus into toon every weekend, fitba, the diamond white carry out from the Spar on George St all paid for for the next 2-3 months.

Awe, there you were, standing in the dark as a trailer load of kids disapeared into the distance.

I bet you had your denner eaten before you got hame in time for breakfast.

It was a battered auld transit van that picked us up fae the Blue Star (think thats what it was called) Garage at the bottom o Anderson drive....And aye the packed lunch was eaten by the time I got to the Murdos roundabout  :laughing: