Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fantastic keeper we have here. Doesn't seem to get the same high praise as Danny Ward got.

For me he's as good if not better than Ward , I don't think he's put a foot wrong since coming here.

Hes a good shot stopper,commands the box vey well and he's a very good kicker..

What's not to like

Yeah you're right, not put a foot wrong, tall, commanding and as you say a good kicker. Also seen him yesterday (on Red Tv) give McGinn a good roasting as they were coming off at HT after McGinn had passed it across the box straight to a Ross Co player which they then hut the bar just before HT.

Good, dependable goalkeeper.

I'm very impressed with him, great find.

He isn't afraid to organise his defence and he keeps on them the whole game. He sees things and tells them, that is something we haven't had for a long time. We didnt have a natural leader and communicator in the defence last season and we looked ropy for it. I saw that in the European games, he was up at the half way line when the ball was out of play giving Taylor a lesson.

He's a great shot stopper, isn't afraid of a cross and can handle a back pass.

There was 1 small blip when he first came but I don't think it cost us anything.

Joe Lewis has been a revelation as a keeper that we own! He's the first keeper who seems really comfortable with the ball at his feet we've had in donkeys years. He's not as good as Danny at one-on-ones but he's as good as him at everything else. The save against St Johnstone to keep us in it and the fingertips save against Sevco from the deflection were outstanding.

As good a keeper as we've had in a long time.

Watching the Huddersfield game today highlights what was great about Ward on a one on one late in the game but it also highlighted Ward's failing at dominating his box for cross balls. Lewis is better at this.

So the fact that Lewis is our player then he is better!

Danny who?

Think it is fair to say most of us had never heard of the guy before he signed, but has proved to be steady and very competent. Doesn't get in a flap but will have a go at the defence when required. Hope the guys along from me in the Merkland can get a song going for him, well deserved.

Would happily extend his deal at Christmas if he continues like this

What a difference it makes when you've got a top keeper.

Jim Leighton was my first Dons hero, was absolutely gutted when he left for ManU. Remember being in the West stand at Hampden to see Scotland play Valderamas' Columbia and seeing Leighton being listed as a ManU player in the match programme and he hadn't even played a game for them yet, i was a bit upset at that lol. But then a certain Mr Snelders came along and Jim was just one of my fav ex-players, certainly no longer missed. I'm diversifying but my point is i've always loved a good goalie and i was a massive fan of Danny Ward too, simply because imo he is going to be a top top keeper.

Just my opinion but i think the fact Danny was so highly regarded was because he was the one significant change to our line up last season and we finally had a good keeper after so many years of mediocrity and obviously he was a big part of the best ever start to a season for us. It's easy to see why he was held in such high regard.

I suspect the person to thank for all this is Gordon Marshall.

As much as i will forever remember Leighton fondly as a player, under his coaching tenure we had a lengthy string of shit-to-middling keepers.

Marshall replaces him, and in the space of a year we get 3 keepers far better than anything we've seen in the last decade.  The fact that Neil Alexander is merely our backup keeper speaks volumes in itself.

Cheers Gordon :)

I was a big fan of Danny Ward, but I think you could make a good case that Lewis has been even better than Danny was in the equivalent spell last year.  More authoritative, fewer mistakes.  Of course Danny was still a kid learning the trade.

My only reservation is you have to judge a keeper over the long haul.  Lewis didn't get an England cap by not looking very good, but he didn't drift from there to the SPL without some real form reversals either.  Confidence slumps, who knows.  I just hope those are permanently behind him.

I suspect the person to thank for all this is Gordon Marshall.

As much as i will forever remember Leighton fondly as a player, under his coaching tenure we had a lengthy string of shit-to-middling keepers.

Marshall replaces him, and in the space of a year we get 3 keepers far better than anything we've seen in the last decade.  The fact that Neil Alexander is merely our backup keeper speaks volumes in itself.

Cheers Gordon :)

Very good point and probably one that gets forgotten all too often. What a difference compared to the previous regime. Albeit post ward was utterly depressing and should have been predicted by him and others.

Very good point and probably one that gets forgotten all too often. What a difference compared to the previous regime. Albeit post ward was utterly depressing and should have been predicted by him and others.

What frustrates me is we got about 300k from liverpool for recalling ward early.  We could have got Mcgovern for a third of that from hamilton and i reckon we would have pushed the tims all the way with a decent keeper.  I actually am coming to think that Lewis is better than Ward, if only because of how well he organises the defence in front of him.  He's a real find.

What frustrates me is we got about 300k from liverpool for recalling ward early.  We could have got Mcgovern for a third of that from hamilton and i reckon we would have pushed the tims all the way with a decent keeper.  I actually am coming to think that Lewis is better than Ward, if only because of how well he organises the defence in front of him.  He's a real find.

First I've heard of us getting £300k for 'recalling Ward early ' I Don't think Ward was recalled early , he was on a 6 month loan that wasn't extended.

Joe Lewis has been very impressive so far this season. Big, commanding, handles well and is a good shot stopper.

Even against Ross County one thing that stood out for me, just before half time McGinn hesitated on a clearance and as soon as the half time whistle blew, Lewis was right over to McGinn giving him the what for.

That is the kind of keeper we have needed for a long time.