Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Hyundai A-League - Oz fitba

CvB

looking fr a decent barney on the telly tomorrow? BT sport at 0945 has the Sydney derby.

The quality may not be top league standard, but there will be no doubting the passion of this one, fueled by comments like this from the Sydney captain

“We go out there, and I’ve told the boys previously in games, we hate every single one of them."

yaaas....heid first

• 1 month later...

Scot-free will be able to give us the run down on what to expect from this game

Sorry, Al. I just saw your post. I have to say that I really can't get into the A-League. Brisbane Roar are the closest team to me and they are about 600 miles away from me. I really don't find the quality of the fitba all that good as well. Townsville, which is the city up from where I live, used to have a team ( North Queensland Fury ), but they were managed by Ian Ferguson. So there was no way that I was going to follow them....
  • Haha 1

Sorry, Al. I just saw your post. I have to say that I really can't get into the A-League. Brisbane Roar are the closest team to me and they are about 600 miles away from me. I really don't find the quality of the fitba all that good as well. Townsville, which is the city up from where I live, used to have a team ( North Queensland Fury ), but they were managed by Ian Ferguson. So there was no way that I was going to follow them....

Been watching a few more 'nix games of late.  Highly frustrating to watch as I sometimes genuinely think I could do better.  Finally got a few wins and goals behind them now after an awful start.

• 2 years later...

Folk think that the SPFL prem is a crazy league in terms of fixtures and how it's run etc...A-league, are currently going through an "expansion" transition, where they're increasing the league from 10-12. Instead of waiting until both teams were ready, they've opted to have 11 teams this season...means each team get's 3 byes this season.  Clubs are also breaking away from the FFA, who much like the SFA, are a corrupt bunch of arseholes. Fortunately, it seems to be going ahead, so hopefully we'll start to see more active fan engagement again.

That's not even mentioning the TV deal...ours is glorious compared to the one FOX have for the A-league. They only allow 26 games a season, dictate when it starts (avoiding other aussie sports), and insist on every game being shown on tv, which dictates that there are only set TV times.

Anyway, i've thrown myself behind the local side, Wellington Phoenix. Been shit for a long while but last season got a manager who changed everything and then became a judas.  New coach has come from the winning team.

Most notable Dons link? Eugene Dadi  8)

• 11 months later...

Local team, Welly 'Nix currently sitting 2nd in the a-league. Played some phenomenal stuff this season.  Last season, Sarpreet Singh, signed for Bayern (first their second team but has featured in the first) and Libby Cacace looks to be heading to Europe this season.  Not quite the same level as Bayern, but would love to see him at a dutch club. Excellent left back, which I have no doubt won't be on the dons radar.  Likes to play football and not afraid of a good challenge.  Rumours were that some belgian club were interested due to the managers links (muscat) to the a-league.

Really annoying that they will likely be playing a "home" final this season for the first time in yonks, but because the aussies fucked their covid response, they can't play in Wellington.  Nice one Scotfree ?

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Jute said:

Grand final on BT Sport just now. Sydney v Melbourne City. 

ETA - Was not a good game. 0-0 after 90 minutes with Sydney winning 1-0 in extra time with a chested effort from close range. 

Missed it yesterday, but doesn’t surprise me. City don’t tend to play much football, but this is a rare occasion I’m pleased Sydney won. City are owned by the city group, so fuck them. 

No idea when the league will kick off again. Lots of turmoil going on as it transitions from FFA ownership to club ownership. Rumours of jan, but fuck knows. 

• 1 year later...

Nix made it in the play offs despite almost everything going against them again this season. Four home games in 2.5 seasons has been brutal and having to base themselves in Aussie so hasn’t been cheap or easy. Most players have had covid twice and with covid postponements, it led to the team playing something like 10 games in 3 weeks. Lost the captain and his midfield partner to injury midway through the current campaign. Hoping they make it through to the next round as that’ll have a home and away leg. 

the cum dog joined Central coast from Dundee in Jan and has been one of the best strikers about. Completely turned their season around. Gary hooper plays for the nix but has been injured for most of it, but he’s still got his touch. Think he’s retiring at the end of the season. 

anyway, two players that I think should be on the dons radar (most likely st mirren or hearts since they’re clearly watching the a league) are Sam Sutton (LB but can play in mid too) and Oli Sail (GK and captain). Both have huge futures, the latter is the most likely to be moving on this winter / summer. He’d be cheap and has all the qualities of Lewis when he first joined. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

All very interesting really. Victory have one of the most active supports in the league, and the league runners have decided to host the grand finals in Sydney for 3 years straight. Whole purpose of the finals was that you got the chance to host the final game. It’s United all fans against the league which is actually quite impressive. Surprised they let it get out of hand though. Probably the most international press the a league has ever had 😂

3 hours ago, manc_don said:

All very interesting really. Victory have one of the most active supports in the league, and the league runners have decided to host the grand finals in Sydney for 3 years straight. Whole purpose of the finals was that you got the chance to host the final game. It’s United all fans against the league which is actually quite impressive. Surprised they let it get out of hand though. Probably the most international press the a league has ever had 😂

So if that’s right, then protest. Fine.

there’s a massive difference between protesting though and invading the field and smashing a flare bucket into the face of someone who has done absolutely nothing wrong. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sheepheid said:

So if that’s right, then protest. Fine.

there’s a massive difference between protesting though and invading the field and smashing a flare bucket into the face of someone who has done absolutely nothing wrong. 

I'm totally with you, it's way OTT. I'm just surprised the Victory fans allowed that to happen, and it looks horrendous for the league. Especially in a country in which the press vilify the fans at every opportunity. Apparently this has been boiling away since 2017. A lot of people predict that this will kill the league.

Previously, I lived in Australia for years and used to go and watch the Newcastle Jets.

I also once went and watch Australia v Turkey in Sydney. One of the most intimidating atmospheres I’ve ever seen in a football stadium. The Turks were properly nasty, over 50% of the crowd were Turkish fans and many of them were looking for a fight. The Aussies were well behaved, from what I saw, on that night. 
Now before I say any more, I’m not racist in any shape or form and it’s what I observed as a neutral during my time there.  A huge issue that the A-League has, that is still there from the days of the old NSL, is that many of the teams in the league are supported by crowds from various countries and also countries that were previously one country and have now been split up. 
This, is mainly in reference to the Sydney and Melbourne teams and a large portion of their fans come from a origins of Greek, Turkish, Yugoslav backgrounds and like the Huns and Tims, there’s more than football rivalry fueling them. It’s why there was rioting at the tennis years ago. The A-League know this is an issue but they’ve refused to do anything about it for years, because it brings in money…sound familiar. 

• Like 1

When Sydney United 58 played in the Australia Cup final this year, while the Welcome to Australia ceremony was getting done there was singing of the Za dom spremni from some of the Sydney United 58 fans. The Za dom spremni is pretty much the "Sieg Heil!" of the far right Croatian organization Ustase. 

Football Australia were quick in placing sanctions on SU58 but this shite has been going on for years in Australian football. 

https://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news/sydney-united-58-fc-sanctioned-australia-cup-final-fan-behaviour 

• 1 month later...

Watching Western Sydney Wanderers v Sydney just now. Looks a decent crowd. For those in Australia  is that just because it’s a derby or do WSW always get good crowds? 

ETA finished 1-0 to Sydney WSW were better team despite being down to 10 men.