Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Bairns Fitba

MálagaSheep

Ok, am a very proud dad and ma loons are my life! Two lads that love fitba and the Dons, oldest McGinn lover, youngest Hayes. BUT  both Atletico de Madrid and Greizmann daft!

I love hearing about kids in football and very proud, would like to hear stories from yerselfs? Kids are our future

x5yucj.jpg

This is my Dons loving Loon celebrating scoring against Seville! Got this pic sent to me! Ma pride and joy, ma youngest is a willie Miller in the making strong as a ok and takes  no shit

Good to see  :thumbsup: My kids (boy and a girl) had a brief moment when they both wanted football boots, wore them about twice and that was the end of their careers, loon went to one game with me (Man Utd) just not into fitba and I couldn't force them.......unfortunately  :-[

I do have a neice who was well into it football as a bairn and went on to play for Aberdeen Ladies.

Ran a boys club for seven years. Took them from age six through to thirteen. Have one lad that is now a first team regular in a SPL club.

Had some great times doing it, only downside was some of the parents I had to deal with.

:thumbsup:

To be honest, i was pished when posting this last night, and whats worst i am having a big fall out with the loons club. Very long Story,

Never mind, the oldest one is in action tonight, i get more excited and nervous watching ma loons than i do the Dons play!

Big Al, you should see some of the carry ons here with parents and coaches in kids fitba at all age groups!

Ran a boys club for seven years. Took them from age six through to thirteen. Have one lad that is now a first team regular in a SPL club.

Had some great times doing it, only downside was some of the parents I had to deal with.

The same story for me. I enjoyed coaching kids, and a lot of the parents were great and their support was invaluable. Some of them however were an overbearing nightmare. 

A lot of the kids I coached were from a poor area and all the problems that brings with it were evident even in only seeing them a few hours a week.

Unfortunately for some of the kids, their parents saw them playing football as the gateway to riches, rather than seeing it for what it should be - their kids enjoying themselves and learning about something they love doing. 

I even had one mother screaming at me on a near weekly basis about why her son was playing at the back rather than centre forward.  When I eventually lost my patience with her and asked her why she thought he should be playing up front, she quoted near word for word what Gary Neville had said about Wayne Rooney on the previous weekend's Super Sunday. 

The saddest thing is that her son is a superb ball playing centre back for his age, but the pressure she put on him as a result of her constant moaning and questioning meant his confidence was dented because he thought he wasn't doing well enough in his position, despite reassurances given to him by myself and other coaches.

Parents support is crucial, but when it just tips over that it can be really damaging.

Watched the wife's grandson playing a few times but the parents put me off.

In fact the kids were really far too young but I suppose there's no street or even playground fitba anymore.

None of my own kids played despite both their Ma and Da having played (amateur)

The gym teacher at their secondary school was a rugby man so they played rugby.

Bit of a disgrace that Banchory Academy didn't even have a football team.

My youngest son played rugby for years and at least got to enjoy the team spirit thing which is so important to a young lad.

Had the loons doon for trails in Marbella tonight, both done very well and oldest was asked to stay for another hour to train with the age group up!

Only problem is the travel there and back.

Got another trails the morns night with a more local team called Las Lagunas.

Need to get them into new team as their current club are a joke, with no organisation

• 6 months later...

I coach a mixed team at U12 have done since U7. Had a carry on with a group of parents at the end of U8's season as "we didn't win enough", due to my coaching (I didn't pick the best 5 players every week.) Was orchestrated by one of the other coaches who has since been banned from coaching youth football by the FA. Anyway 14 left leaving us with 5 for a seven a side season we got a couple more in fulfilled our games and are now back up to 15 as we move to 11 a side next season. Funny thing is we beat the team that was formed from our leavers twice this season. Now the lads that play are secondary age we're getting their mates coming along who play for much better teams and are thinking of joining us as" we have a laugh and our training is fun". .

I also started coaching what is now U10 girls last season. We have loads join all the time they are much easier than the lads to coach as they listen and don't think they know better than you. The set up for girls youth in this area is miles ahead of mixed, and is fully non competitive. No "non competitive" league just six festivals a year. Properly no presssure environment to develop skills.

Most of the girls parents are just happy to see them enjoying something.

The mixed group are OK now as the ones that stayed bought into what I was trying to achieve and have been proved as justified as I have. The only things I really have to deal with are over protective mums worrying that their little angel is getting bullied, but I think that is just the age. Testosterone is kicking in and they are testing each other.