Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Anthony O'Connor

• 9 months later...

After a poor start to the game he was decent like, if not a little immobile at times. Certainly should be in there for the next couple of games with a view to Jack not making the final. I'd have Jack ahead of him every time though just for his ability to get back quicker and being quicker on the turn.

I'd also like to thank you for your fantastic resurrection of the O'Connor thread from the start of the campaign. Excellent work.

After a poor start to the game he was decent like, if not a little immobile at times. Certainly should be in there for the next couple of games with a view to Jack not making the final. I'd have Jack ahead of him every time though just for his ability to get back quicker and being quicker on the turn.

I'd also like to thank you for your fantastic resurrection of the O'Connor thread from the start of the campaign. Excellent work.

;D

Thought he played well too, he's just a bit too slow to play there as a first choice imo.  Seemed to do well enough but I think Brown not playing had a big role in that.  We either stick with him in the middle of defence or only as back up in the middle.  We also need to either sign a left back or another centre half to play along side. 

Rated him from the beginning. In the game we beat Rangers 2-1 at Pittodrie, he bullied that cheating wank Garner and never let him get involved.

Feel he's been hung out to dry slightly, I get the League Cup Final performance wasn't a highlight, but he was not alone and appears to take the most stick for it. Even the bizarre 3-0 defeat more recently to the Huns, anyone with half a brain could see he was actually playing really well until Taylor sold him out with an utterly pathetic pass.

Bottom line is, he's a better defender and better player in general than Taylor and can also do a job in the midfield, as I pointed out a few months back also. Clearly a good player who we will see grow if given a consistent run in the team, instead of dropping him when results go against us, due to other players negligence.

Aye Nips, I said when we announced Tansey it was simply down to McInnes knowing Jack is leaving. This is why I don't understand why we don't just confirm it. It's okay for us to announce Tansey, when ICT are in a relegation battle and in all honestly, look likely to be relegated. So why are we so against doing the same with Jack? Or Taylor, McGinn etc... for that matter.

Regarding O'Connor, whilst he's clearly capable of doing a job in the CDM role, I would much rather see him at CB, alongside Considine in all honesty, if we bring in another couple of midfielders, we could easily have a back 4 of

Logan      O'Connor      Considine        Shinnie

With Tansey and a new midfielder in the middle. I'd be more than happy with that, unless of course we sign a couple of known, steady, no-nonsense CB's.

In any case, it's a big summer ahead for us transfer wise.  Eagerly anticipating the ins & outs.

I'm not sure Shinnie will ever play left back again.

I think he's too influential in midfield now and DM and himself know it.

^^^This. The question is, do we view Considine as a centre back or a left back? I suppose the good thing is that McInnes can have a scout about in the summer for both a centre back and a full back, knowing that if he can only find one or the other we can move Considine across. I'd like to see O'Connor given the right centre back position permanently and just let Taylor go. I think we should keep it lean at the back and just replace Taylor with one of the above (left or centre back), with Reynolds as back up and perhaps Harvie as fullback cover if he's good enough.

^^^This. The question is, do we view Considine as a centre back or a left back? I suppose the good thing is that McInnes can have a scout about in the summer for both a centre back and a full back, knowing that if he can only find one or the other we can move Considine across. I'd like to see O'Connor given the right centre back position permanently and just let Taylor go. I think we should keep it lean at the back and just replace Taylor with one of the above (left or centre back), with Reynolds as back up and perhaps Harvie as fullback cover if he's good enough.

Agree fully, O'Connor, when played at the right side of the 2 CB'S, is very comfortable. And Considine is very capable at LB, he's worked extremely well over the past number of seasons and the fact he's now versatile in both area's, is good for us, I do feel though, he still struggles, and very rarely might I add, at LB. Only now and again, 8 out of 10 times he's solid.

We absolutely need at least 1 CB, a Hector type player would be a huge bonus.

I have grown to dislike Ash Taylor so much so, I wish Quinn had been given more of an opportunity instead of persevering with Ash. I feel quite bad saying that, because I like him, just not as a first choice CB at Aberdeen.

Jury's out for me.  He has looked solid in some matches, utterly gash in others.  Like a less scary Taylor.

We clearly need to clone Russell Anderson or get God to regrow his moustache,  as we are crying out for a stabilising CB.  If i had to choose who pair with such a player though, it would be O'Connor over Taylor.

Think he is a better footballer than Taylor of that there is no question.

Both seem to win plenty of headers in the oppo box at corners and set pieces, O'Conner seems top be a bit more accurate with his placement.

However both are shyte when defending corners and set pieces....I fear every time an inswinger comes into our box. (Reynolds is even worse btw).

And both are equally vulnerable when someone runs at them with the ball. both can be bypassed with pace and both are penalty kicks in waiting when they dive in to challenges in our box.

Overall O'Conner gets the nod purely because he can play a pass accurately...

• 10 months later...

Anyone know if the contact offered to him last year is still on the table? Because it fucking shouldn't be.

Having said that he's right about Aberdeen fans.. even if he chose a terrible platform and time to say it.

He is looking at his options but can not see Aberdeen upping any offer to him now.

As for his tweet he is allowed an opinion but only said it as he knows he is on his way out.

He will be no loss to the squad when he departs.

Yet another footballer who has gone backwards under McInnes.

Whatever hint or suggestion or the promise of competency he once had has long since been extinguished.

What did he say about AFC fans?

Something along the lines of "Aberdeen fans as 'the worst for getting behind their team". The truth hurts  :laughing:

Yet another footballer who has gone backwards under McInnes.

Whatever hint or suggestion or the promise of competency he once had has long since been extinguished.

What did he say about AFC fans?

That they were " up there as one of the worse for getting behind their team "

Said they turn up to watch games but don't turn up to support the team.

In all honesty, I have seen the screenshots of the conversation and it looks like a 13 year old arguing with another 13 year old, I am genuinely not convinced it's entirely true. However, if it is, he should not be anywhere near the squad again, let him fuck off now. I was only after saying last week that I still liked him despite his detractors, and hoped he'd stick around as part of the squad, but if all of this is true, he can fuck right off.

He was decent for 6 months at the start of his contract. Been underwhelming to rank rotten ever since. Not of the required standard going forward and should play no further part until his contract runs out after the twitter crap. Would far rather see a young loon get a run out who will be here for the next season or two.

It's frustrating that a guy can't voice a genuine opinion (if it was him etc) and not be hounded because of it. He might have a point, but I doubt Aberdeen fans are worse than those of any other club. At least he should be able to say so though and perhaps even lead to a discussion on how it wasn't helpful or whatever his point was. That said, the obvious problem with it is timing, as he should have said it after a decent result rather than a shite one.

I don't think he's regressed under McInnes, just remained constant. Decent backup centre half, who's inability to kick with more than one foot and sever lack of pace means he's a liability in midfield. Won't miss him. Had about 3 good games at the beginning of the season but has proven to be no improvement on Ash Taylor.

I don't think he's regressed under McInnes, just remained constant.

I disagree but if you were right and I was wrong then he should never have been recruited.

I think he was threatening to be a competent signing at first. It all went totally pear shaped after he was hung out to dry for one mistake against Celtic in the 3-0 final, which we were already beat in and never had a chance. He has never been the same since and it was shockingly poor management on two counts.

First, he reintroduced Ash Taylor after a five week absence. Although he (Ash) didn't have one of his howlers in that final, it was a crazy decision that a) would naturally have had the rest of the team wondering what the fuck was going on, and b) totally altered the balance of the defence that had been doing ok in the run up.

Secondly, the damage that McInnes did to AOC's confidence was measurable. We have seen in the months and years since. AOC has turned into a terrible footballer and he's not the first footballer that has gone severely backwards under our midget charlatan piss weak arsehole manager.

You can add Reynolds, Logan, Considine, Arnason, Shinnie, McGinn, Christie, Rooney, May, even Lewis to that list. As for the voluminous shite signings he's made - Zola at the start of his tenure and Maynard hopefully in the last year of his management (but it won't be) being signings beyond belief - they were never good to start with.

McKenna has also had two very poor games in a row and as he's the only decent asset on our books, he better not succumb to the McInnes malaise.

As for giving youth a chance, he doesn't. McKenna had to get a start after the 3-0 drubbing at Fir Park and he played excellent to keep his place. Scott Wright scored a hat trick, got dropped, got another rare chance, put the winner on a plate at Hamilton and then got dropped again. He had FOUR starts in his first four seasons at AFC. When he started at Pittodrie v. Sevco, everyone - including the players - knew was talking to them and was interested in moving and so his poor performance was one of many that day...

...apart from another youngster. Frank Ross came on in the second half, scored an absolute peach which kinda forced his hand to play him the next game at Dens where he got hooked at HT and never seen again. Another young footballer who we'll never know how good he might be given the unimaginably sparse amount of time given and the obvious undermining of his confidence.