Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Graham Hunter Podcasts

thestooge

Massive fan of the podcasts and his work, went to see a talk with him at Aberdeen uni in the summer which was fantastic, great insight to what he does and how well received he is by people in Spain, the Neville podcast is my favourite, really enjoyed the Waddle one too.

Aye, I was at the uni thing and also the one at the Belmont a couple of years back.  £40 for his Aberdeen kickstarter seems a bit steep, even with the book included though.

The Neville one was brilliant.

I haven't enjoyed the Redknapp or Souness ones as much, he's just been a wee bit sycophantic (oh Graeme, I'd have you in my all-time world 11) but even then, they've been decent enough.

Would love him to get a Fergie one done.

As much as I've enjoyed listening to the subject, I find Hunter overly gushing. The Souness one is a good example of that but I think he's been like that in all of them. The Waddle one was peculiar in that actually.

Waddle was a good player, but he really wasn't anything more than that. To listen to Hunter you'd have thought he was speaking to Michael Laudrup (a player Hunter has laughably compared Waddle to), but in reality, Waddle wasn't even close to being the best English player at his peak (again, something Hunter alluded to) never mind the world.

Aye, he is like that in them all to a greater or lesser extent.  I can handle a little bit of that if that's what it takes to get folk to open up but when it's Souness it really doesn't wash.

I found it funny listening to Souness say he was a completely different fella off the park only for the very next thing for me to watch was him telling Henry to shut up and not interrupt him in the Sky studio.

I'm also not sure I'm keen on the near-begging going on at the start of each episode.  Fair enough, it costs to make these things, but that's all that needs to be said along with "if you can contribute and want to do so, then please do".

The way he actually pitches it is a bit off I think. It's his career it enhances, but it's all "if you want this to continue you need to donate now"... steady on. It's just a podcast, aye it's good, but if you can't afford to do it, then don't. It's not as if he didn't know it would cost when he first started doing it.

Thought his one with Charlie Nicholas was equally fantastic.  Get what you mean about Hunter being quite gushy though, it's a bit cringe worthy at times.

I enjoyed the Charlie Nic one too. He's a good guy Charlie, just a shame English isn't his first language.

It was nice to hear him say that one of the proudest moments of his career was coming back to Aberdeen with the Scottish Cup and even though everyone knew he was going to Celtic the Dons fans still sung his name, a tears in the eye moment for him, supposedly.

I enjoyed the Charlie Nic one too. He's a good guy Charlie, just a shame English isn't his first language.

It was nice to hear him say that one of the proudest moments of his career was coming back to Aberdeen with the Scottish Cup and even though everyone knew he was going to Celtic the Dons fans still sung his name, a tears in the eye moment for him, supposedly.

Haha English is definitely not his strong point, but I've always had a lot of time for him. Way back when that cunt of a man magoo was gracing Pittodrie as a manager, he was one of the few in the media who said it how it was. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true about the cup victory. He went up further in my estimations after this interview

Charlie Nicholas is a good man. I admired him as a footballer at Celtic and when he went to Arsenal, my mate and I went to Highbury to watch him. We were catching a train to Europe anyway, we didn't go down just to see him. We were amazed to get served pints at the back of the North Bank during the game, let alone in glasses!

Met him in a Princes Square bar when it was new in Glasgow and he was an articulate, friendly, down-to-earth rich superstar and so I was delighted when he signed for AFC. I like him on Soccer Saturday, passionate, enthusiastic and speaks sense.

Over £41k raised from the campaign, some going that really and I look forward to the podcasts that will come from this and the party in Feb which should be great.

The Butcher one is up now, I wasn't going to listen as I don't like the man and I expected him to wank over his career however it's mainly just been stories of stuff he experienced, funny side of things and working under Bobby Robson.

It may be my inherent hatred of the filth but I've found both the Souness and Butcher ones hard going.

Butcher is a dull fud and Hunter's fawning was overly generous.

Anyone going to see Richard Gordon interview Willie Miller next week?  Wed night at Pittodrie.

How much are tickets?  Not that I can go mind!

It may be my inherent hatred of the filth but I've found both the Souness and Butcher ones hard going.

Butcher is a dull fud and Hunter's fawning was overly generous.

Anyone going to see Richard Gordon interview Willie Miller next week?  Wed night at Pittodrie.

Didn't feel like he was fawning over him at all, Butcher was a good player though wasn't he?  As was Souness, it is hard going not so much for me due to the fact I never grew up watching them

Didn't feel like he was fawning over him at all, Butcher was a good player though wasn't he?  As was Souness, it is hard going not so much for me due to the fact I never grew up watching them

Hunter's insistence that Butcher was this ball playing centre half was patronising bullshit.  If by "ball playing" he's talking about passing the ball back to the keeper then yes, he was a ball playing centre half. If any other meaning was the intention then he may well be talking about a different Terry Butcher than the one I saw playing for the vermin.

His fawning is cringe-worthy min, saying that Souness would get into his all-time world 11 is just havers.  His views that Souness could have been James Bond in the Butcher one was further boak inducing.

As Bobby says above, the idea of Butcher being some sort of technically brilliant ball player is sheer fantasy. 

The Richard Gordon/Willie Miller thing is free and hosted at Pittodrie on Wed.

• 2 months later...

He mentioned lastnight about peoples thoughts on him being up the guests arses, he said he doesn't care as he knows that style will encourage them to open up and lead to getting some big guests to come on knowing they won't be getting grilled.  Really enjoyed the whole thing, he clearly wanted to go on and on with his answers and stories, some fascinating insight too.

He mentioned lastnight about peoples thoughts on him being up the guests arses, he said he doesn't care as he knows that style will encourage them to open up and lead to getting some big guests to come on knowing they won't be getting grilled.  Really enjoyed the whole thing, he clearly wanted to go on and on with his answers and stories, some fascinating insight too.

Listened to the podcast with Davie Provan, Hunter said Provan is the one player he would have taken at Aberdeen from Celtic. I'm sorry but that is pretty much beyond parody now. Provan was a decent player no doubt, but if we took him who out of Peter Weir or Gordon Strachan would he have replaced? Utter tripe from Hunter again.

In saying that, I am actually looking forward to hearing the one with Peter Beardsley, one player who may actually be worthy of the sycophantic praise.

Listened to the podcast with Davie Provan, Hunter said Provan is the one player he would have taken at Aberdeen from Celtic. I'm sorry but that is pretty much beyond parody now. Provan was a decent player no doubt, but if we took him who out of Peter Weir or Gordon Strachan would he have replaced? Utter tripe from Hunter again.

In saying that, I am actually looking forward to hearing the one with Peter Beardsley, one player who may actually be worthy of the sycophantic praise.

Interestingly enough Hunter was asked on friday which 3 dons player he'd have at PEAK Barca, Weir was one of them, other was miller and I can't remember the other one, so he obviously rates Weir, could have just meant to have had him in the squad, I'm obviously too young to have seen Provan play however I enjoyed the interview mainly due to the insight in to being on co comms and the trust put in them from certain club sources but I was dreading it actually close to not giving it a go.  Beardleys interview again was interesting, quite funny aswell.