Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Mark Reynolds

DONS boss Derek McInnes today admitted he is delighted Mark Reynolds’ injury nightmare is over.

Defender Reynolds played his first match since suffering a shoulder injury in July as Aberdeen beat Falkirk 5-3 in a SPFL Development League match at Brechin’s Glebe Park.

The Scotland squad player, who had missed 16 first-team matches while recovering from the injury, strolled through the full 90 minutes at Brechin.

McInnes said: “It’s brilliant to have Mark back at last.

“He’s been an immense player for us since I arrived at the club, so it’s a real bonus to get Mark back in amongst it again.

“We’ve got to remember he’s been out for a long time.

“Mark will feel the benefits of getting the full 90 minutes.

“We had played some practice games since Mark returned to training to help get his fitness levels back up.

“But all of our players are mindful of the sort of injury Mark had, so were careful not to risk too much contact with the shoulder.

“The Falkirk players didn’t know that though, you can’t beat the real stuff.

“Mark was made to challenge and compete for the ball as normal and coped fine.

“That’s good for Mark psychologically to come through that barrier.

“It ticked another box in terms of his progression back to full fitness.”

:thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Exactly. His distribution and lack of confidence on the ball was his weak point. He struggled after Anderson left. Whilst Devlin is a physically stronger defender than Reynolds, I think his lack of confidence and distribution will be an issue too - I think the two are quite similar. Both far from shite like.

Agree he was an excellent servant to the club, an ideal role model for any youngster setting out in the game and leaves with our thanks for his service.

That said...he has certainly landed on his feet getting a 3 year deal. And if United get promoted (I'd say it's 60/40 that they will, very doubtful they'll make it automatically but they should reach the play-off final comfortably. Once there they most certainly can beat Dundee, St Mirren or Hamilton if they play to their capabilities) I doubt there would be any Premier division striker not rubbing his hands at the prospect of facing him