Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

League Reconstruction

For it or against it?

Personally I would be for it, if I didn't think it was possibly being designed for the benefit of just one club that play in blue. Rumours flying around all over the place this morning that league reconstruction is very much on the cards. After yesterdays debacle over the playoff's, Keith Jackson tweeted :

"If you think the SPFL is the eye of a shit-storm tonight then just wait till you see what else is brewing! Tomorrow should be interesting".

Could mean anything of course, but by the SPFL standards and the ever dwindling integrity of Doncaster and Regan, it could be interpreted as meaning league reconstruction.

So what would you like to see happen and do you think regardless of it being used to help the huns, would it be beneficial to the game...

The jury is still out for me on this one.  :dunno:

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this at all!  Oddly enough, I've actually thoroughly enjoyed the last two seasons, the split has been working and interest has increased.  It's not broke, why try to fix it?  I would be disgusted if they changed it to ensure the hunnery mk2 got a free pass up the leagues.  Scottish football has thrived in their absence.

If anything though, I would like the play off system revised, because it's not fair that the Premiership team only has to play 2 games rather than the possible 6 that a fourth placed team would have to. 

I quite like the way things are currently, and I can’t really say we’ve missed the 2 horse bigot brother race either.

Teams like our self and Caley have benefitted from them not being around, and it’s allowed a team like Dundee to make themselves a main stay again (or they certainly look like they will be).

I can see why the split is in place, as it makes it interesting and akin to the play-offs in America. Someone like Dundee would have been happy just to stay up well, but they had the bit between their teeth in their last few games by trying to get into the ‘best of the rest’ top half of the table.

I don’t see what would make things better by increasing the league size, other than helping the other Cheek. We would have a mid-table slump in a bigger league, where teams would just be playing for the sake of playing at this point in the season, so really you’d need more playoffs again for Europe etc; albeit in a bigger league! Furthermore, a lot of teams are happy to bumble along as part-timers. It would be detrimental to a few teams to be promoted and made full-time, as they really can’t afford to make the jump and sustain it.

12 is a perfect number, and the new playoff into the championship is another good little addition, along with pyramiding from highland league and lowland. Some of the clubs in there are big enough to hold their own with the big boys, while others like I said above, are not. 

If anything, I think there should be less teams per city personally, but that’s far more unlikely. Fair enough Hibs and Hearts fill out their grounds when need be with around 20k each, but Dundee and Utd combined would certainly make for a better team. Dundee is a lot smaller than Aberdeen, yet they have 2 teams, madness! Same with half the motley crew down Glasgow way. Clyde/Partick/Morton/St Mirren even Dumbarton etc, put them all together and you’d have a half decent fan base and club.

Obviously that won’t happen and it would alienate the support, but less professional teams, rather than more, I think is the answer. We’re not the biggest of nations after all.

Radical I know, but I think it would help.

I quite like the way things are currently, and I can’t really say we’ve missed the 2 horse bigot brother race either.

Teams like our self and Caley have benefitted from them not being around, and it’s allowed a team like Dundee to make themselves a main stay again (or they certainly look like they will be).

I can see why the split is in place, as it makes it interesting and akin to the play-offs in America. Someone like Dundee would have been happy just to stay up well, but they had the bit between their teeth in their last few games by trying to get into the ‘best of the rest’ top half of the table.

I don’t see what would make things better by increasing the league size, other than helping the other Cheek. We would have a mid-table slump in a bigger league, where teams would just be playing for the sake of playing at this point in the season, so really you’d need more playoffs again for Europe etc; albeit in a bigger league! Furthermore, a lot of teams are happy to bumble along as part-timers. It would be detrimental to a few teams to be promoted and made full-time, as they really can’t afford to make the jump and sustain it.

12 is a perfect number, and the new playoff into the championship is another good little addition, along with pyramiding from highland league and lowland. Some of the clubs in there are big enough to hold their own with the big boys, while others like I said above, are not. 

If anything, I think there should be less teams per city personally, but that’s far more unlikely. Fair enough Hibs and Hearts fill out their grounds when need be with around 20k each, but Dundee and Utd combined would certainly make for a better team. Dundee is a lot smaller than Aberdeen, yet they have 2 teams, madness! Same with half the motley crew down Glasgow way. Clyde/Partick/Morton/St Mirren even Dumbarton etc, put them all together and you’d have a half decent fan base and club.

Obviously that won’t happen and it would alienate the support, but less professional teams, rather than more, I think is the answer. We’re not the biggest of nations after all.

Radical I know, but I think it would help.

Excellent post.  I've often wondered when the city of Dundeh would realise this, though if I was one of their fans, I don't think I'd want it.  Football tribalism and all that.  You only have to look at what happened in Inverness (though i'm not sure how well these were supported anyway).

But point is, I think that we do have a good sized league now for the size of country that we have.  There may be a division too many in the league set up, and maybe making the lower leagues more like the Highland and Lowland leagues to keep costs down for clubs would be a sensible idea.  I'd say top 2 would be as they are and the other 2 merge into a regional set up.

Jute, you are right:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32332187

Absolute farce, shouldn't have happened in the first instance.

Clyde play in Cumbernauld (Population 50,000) but are rumoured to be shifting to East Kilbride (population 75000)

Greenock - 25miles from Glasgow with population of 44000)

Paisley - 12 miles outside of Glasgow with population of 75000

Dumbarton - 15miles outside of Glasgow with population 20,000

You start including these teams then you may as well rope in Motherwell, Hamilton, Airdrie, Kilmarnock etc as they are all reasonably close to Glasgow with quite large populations.

Population doesn't breed fanbases unfortunately and given the BBC website now gives top billing to Spanish Football I wouldnt be surprised to see scottish (and indeed UK) kids forgetting home nations teams and supporting Real Madrid or Barcelona.

I believe there was an attempt to amalgamate Brechin, Montrose, Forfar & Arbroath a few years ago and it did not go down well. That would in theory have created a team with a 4 town catchment population of 56000 but things do not work that way.

Dingwall has a population less than 6000 but it has a premier league team.

if I went back in time and met my 12 year old self and told him that the local Highland league team who send their coaches out to the rural schools would be playing Aberdeen for actual league points he'd laugh in my face.

I occasionally think the likes of Albion Rovers should merge with neighbouring teams and co but then again why should they? These are established historical clubs who live within their means and have small loyal fanbases.

The only time I can recall a really stupid decision regarding a new team in scotland was after the demise of 3rd Lanark. They had the choice of an Inverness team or a 3rd Edinburgh team to use the newly constructed meadowbank. Note that 40 years later an Inverness team sits 3rd yet the 3rd Edinburgh team has been through numerous administrations and is on the brink of relegation to the 3rd tier.

Of course there is always Gretna,,,,,

If League reconstruction was done with some foresight, I'd be all for it. If it was pitched suddenly to make sure that we get more of "the big teams" in the top division, that'd be wrong for any number of reasons.

However, I would say that our top flight is too small, and if the right people planned ahead, then a 16-team top-flight should be the aim. Let the forward thinking clubs in the second tier in to the top flight, expand the geographic boundaries of the division, and get back to playing each other twice, once home and once away.

The last few years have proved that clubs need not survive on the cash of an Old Firm away day, and that there are plenty of teams who can remain competitive against the supposed bigger boys of Scottish football.

What we need to stop right now, is the short-termism of the game, which Doncaster seems to represent. This idea-of-the-week nonsense makes us an absolute laughing stock. Someone needs to have a clear vision of what we want from our top flight, and then go about making that happen.

Personally, I'd like to see us negotiating towards a 16 team league in time for the next TV deal, when everything will be up in the air. Cost out SPFL TV effectively, so we've got a better idea of what our game is worth and the revenues it could generate, properly investigate summer football (with no vested interests) so we can at least have the debate with some facts and figures to inform it, and separate out the business interests and sponsorship side of the League (no laughing) from the administration and fixtures side.

Clyde play in Cumbernauld (Population 50,000) but are rumoured to be shifting to East Kilbride (population 75000)

Greenock - 25miles from Glasgow with population of 44000)

Paisley - 12 miles outside of Glasgow with population of 75000

Dumbarton - 15miles outside of Glasgow with population 20,000

You start including these teams then you may as well rope in Motherwell, Hamilton, Airdrie, Kilmarnock etc as they are all reasonably close to Glasgow with quite large populations.

Population doesn't breed fanbases unfortunately and given the BBC website now gives top billing to Spanish Football I wouldnt be surprised to see scottish (and indeed UK) kids forgetting home nations teams and supporting Real Madrid or Barcelona.

I believe there was an attempt to amalgamate Brechin, Montrose, Forfar & Arbroath a few years ago and it did not go down well. That would in theory have created a team with a 4 town catchment population of 56000 but things do not work that way.

Dingwall has a population less than 6000 but it has a premier league team.

if I went back in time and met my 12 year old self and told him that the local Highland league team who send their coaches out to the rural schools would be playing Aberdeen for actual league points he'd laugh in my face.

I occasionally think the likes of Albion Rovers should merge with neighbouring teams and co but then again why should they? These are established historical clubs who live within their means and have small loyal fanbases.

The only time I can recall a really stupid decision regarding a new team in scotland was after the demise of 3rd Lanark. They had the choice of an Inverness team or a 3rd Edinburgh team to use the newly constructed meadowbank. Note that 40 years later an Inverness team sits 3rd yet the 3rd Edinburgh team has been through numerous administrations and is on the brink of relegation to the 3rd tier.

Of course there is always Gretna,,,,,

Funnily enough, Hamilton and Motherwell were the other 2 I planned to use.

The example was only to show that around Glasgow by a handful of miles there are more than half a dozen professional teams playing in the top tiers in Scotland. That to me just seems too much.

I suppose you could then turn it round to say Huntly, Cove Rangers and Inverurie Loco’s could all play professionally with the new Pyramid scheme, along with us and Peterheed. Now that to all of us up here would be ridiculous, but down there that’s the reality. 

But as has been mentioned, trying to get teams to amalgamate would never happen.

I do like the idea of a 16 team league where we only play everyone twice, but I just think it would leave this glut in the middle who have nothing to play for. But then not having to play Kilmarnock 1 extra time wouldn’t be too bad.

If League reconstruction was done with some foresight, I'd be all for it. If it was pitched suddenly to make sure that we get more of "the big teams" in the top division, that'd be wrong for any number of reasons.

However, I would say that our top flight is too small, and if the right people planned ahead, then a 16-team top-flight should be the aim. Let the forward thinking clubs in the second tier in to the top flight, expand the geographic boundaries of the division, and get back to playing each other twice, once home and once away.

The last few years have proved that clubs need not survive on the cash of an Old Firm away day, and that there are plenty of teams who can remain competitive against the supposed bigger boys of Scottish football.

What we need to stop right now, is the short-termism of the game, which Doncaster seems to represent. This idea-of-the-week nonsense makes us an absolute laughing stock. Someone needs to have a clear vision of what we want from our top flight, and then go about making that happen.

Personally, I'd like to see us negotiating towards a 16 team league in time for the next TV deal, when everything will be up in the air. Cost out SPFL TV effectively, so we've got a better idea of what our game is worth and the revenues it could generate, properly investigate summer football (with no vested interests) so we can at least have the debate with some facts and figures to inform it, and separate out the business interests and sponsorship side of the League (no laughing) from the administration and fixtures side.

I wouldn’t wait with bated breath the next time the TV deal comes around Tubs, I remember last time you laid out how the likes of Scandinavia all have channels explicitly for their football leagues. 

We’ll wind up with whatever nonsense Sky offers, which will be less than darts and the egg chasers.

Oh to have someone with foresight in charge!

Fit Tubs says. I wrote an article (or rant, more apt) on dons mad saying that if we could have a serious look at our revenue sharing, TV agreements (SPL TV) and move to a 16 team league then I couldnae give a f*ck fit happened to the huns (this was at the time when they were just going to be shoe-horned back into the top flight).

To me, 16 teams is progressive and we can easily accommodate it (adding any four of Hertz, Hibs, Huns, Falkirk, QOTS, Raith; even Dunfermline, Livi) and would give us a solid base of good teams.

One of the key things for me at the time was the horrendous blackmail we were subjected to as SPL clubs - via Doncaster - warned of the terrible loss of revenue if the hun were not invited straight back into the league. With nothing changed since their departure, we're inviting that blackmail once again. If der scum win the play-offs, then we're back to Killie etc budgeting for them remaining and the crowds that brings. I suggested at the time of their demise that the only way that we can ensure that this situation didn't happen again would be to move to a 16 team league and have us only "relying" on the single visit of Tim/Hun per season. Otherwise, it's a case of sitting back and waiting to see how long it takes for the hun to re-establish themselves in helicopter sunday "excitement".

Personally, I'd go further and remove the cash prizes for league placings and split evenly across the division, as well as taking a large percentage of euro prize funds (not gate receipts) back into the league. Last season, I think it was over 70% of the cash coming into our game went to one team. That's not sport.

Fit Tubs says. I wrote an article (or rant, more apt) on dons mad saying that if we could have a serious look at our revenue sharing, TV agreements (SPL TV) and move to a 16 team league then I couldnae give a f*ck fit happened to the huns (this was at the time when they were just going to be shoe-horned back into the top flight).

To me, 16 teams is progressive and we can easily accommodate it (adding any four of Hertz, Hibs, Huns, Falkirk, QOTS, Raith; even Dunfermline, Livi) and would give us a solid base of good teams.

One of the key things for me at the time was the horrendous blackmail we were subjected to as SPL clubs - via Doncaster - warned of the terrible loss of revenue if the hun were not invited straight back into the league. With nothing changed since their departure, we're inviting that blackmail once again. If der scum win the play-offs, then we're back to Killie etc budgeting for them remaining and the crowds that brings. I suggested at the time of their demise that the only way that we can ensure that this situation didn't happen again would be to move to a 16 team league and have us only "relying" on the single visit of Tim/Hun per season. Otherwise, it's a case of sitting back and waiting to see how long it takes for the hun to re-establish themselves in helicopter sunday "excitement".

Personally, I'd go further and remove the cash prizes for league placings and split evenly across the division, as well as taking a large percentage of euro prize funds (not gate receipts) back into the league. Last season, I think it was over 70% of the cash coming into our game went to one team. That's not sport.

Whilst it's a bold and and honourable idea, I can't see the point in doing it. How does that inspire anyone to finish higher up in the league if there isn't a real benefit?  There has to be some monetary or reward.  I don't disagree with the euro prize money being filtered through the league, but the actual league prize money should not be shared. 

The 16 team league model is the ideal outcome, however, as long as Doncaster is in charge, the game will never fully develop and prosper and for all the reasons you have mentioned above. The status quo, all the OF games you can cram into a season, helicopter Sundays... they (Donacster, Regan) crave the return of it. The reality of the situation is that the 16 league setup or any league reconstruction for that matter, will not be put forward for the benefit of the Scottish game, but to return to the duopoly of yesteryear. A system specifically designed where 2 clubs dominate absolutely everything until once again the Scottish game is drained of all its resources.

I would like to think everyone has learned the lesson from last time, but the 'injustice' felt by those running the game over the hun debacle, will ensure it will return to the old setup at any given opportunity. The chance has gone to change how this game is run in this country, the chance to finally put a stop to financial domination and change the voting system to a fairer system that benefits all clubs. We need people with vision, integrity and sense of realism to run the game. Those who are unafraid to stand up for all the clubs, those who have sporting integrity at the heart of their decisions and those who will finally rid the game of the 2 club system that is rotting the game to the core. Only once Doncaster, Regan et.al are gone will the game prosper and at that point, a 16 team league will work and fully benefit the game.

We have 2 subjects going on here at the same time.

16 team 1st division ( fuck this premiership crap) by all means.

2 up 2 down, none of this split or play off nonsense.

Of course it would have to be from the start of season 2016/17

As for imalgamations, well I would be for it but I come from a 1 club town.

I was in a pub toilet yesterday and saw a sticker of a Hamilton fan pissing on a Motherwell fan.

That was in a pub in Budapest.

If you can persuade them to join together as one team then fair enough, I would agree it would be for the best.

I bet they wouldn't though.

If you can persuade them to join together as one team then fair enough, I would agree it would be for the best.

I bet they wouldn't though.

Best for whom? It's certainly not the best for the supporters of those teams who, lets face it, would likely be lost to the game for good. A die hard Motherwell fan certainly isn't going to go and watch some hybrid of his own club and their biggest rivals.  How is that the best for anyone? Just because we want the number of professional clubs to reduce?

If clubs can live within their means then I don't see why anyone should believe they don't have the right to be a professional club.

Think about what you're asking of clubs and more importantly think about how the fans feel.  Fans who feel the same things for their club as we do for the Dons and put yourself in their shoes in that situation.

It's an arrogant, almost OF attitude to have.

You've read me wrong there min.

I don't think they should, hence my umpteen references to why my view doesn't count.

Some of these clubs struggle away with very little fan base, it would make sense to anyone other than a football fan for some of them to amalgimate.

The fact that it doesn't make sense to football fans I understand, I'm a football fan.

As for playoffs, reduce the league fixtures and introduce another couple of cup competitions.

Not that I am really suggesting to do that, but a league is a league for fuck sake.

It's an abomination that a team that finishes 4th can be promoted ahead of the team that finished 2nd.

Second top versus second bottom I agree with.

Anything other than that then you might as well shout "next goals the winner"

The split is a heap of shite too.

Is it though? I think the league has been the most exciting since I can ever recall (i.e. since I've been a dons fan).  Certainly the past two seasons anyway.  Keeps teams motivated to keep going and there has been healthy competition throughout right up until the last day or there abouts.

It's an abomination that a team that finishes 4th can be promoted ahead of the team that finished 2nd.

Thats the nature of Playoffs

Go around the world and in some cases the team which finishes 8th is crowned champions.

Down south the team that finishes 6th can get into the premiership ahead of the teams in 3rd 4th & 5th

Go down to league 2 and the team that finishes 7th can get promoted.

I'd personally prefer that 2 were relegated from the scottish premier and the playoffs were between the teams in 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th in the 1st with the final played at a neutral venue (Mcdiarmed park, Easter Road or one of the other standard non-glasgow semi final grounds).

You've read me wrong there min.

I don't think they should, hence my umpteen references to why my view doesn't count.

Some of these clubs struggle away with very little fan base, it would make sense to anyone other than a football fan for some of them to amalgimate.

The fact that it doesn't make sense to football fans I understand, I'm a football fan.

As for playoffs, reduce the league fixtures and introduce another couple of cup competitions.

Not that I am really suggesting to do that, but a league is a league for fuck sake.

Second top versus second bottom I agree with.

Anything other than that then you might as well shout "next goals the winner"

Fair do's mate, apologies for getting  the wrong end of the stick.

Totally agree with your post there, as  you say, a league is a league - the idea is that at the end of it, everyone is where they should be.  Playoffs etc can be exciting of course, but I think it's fundamentally wrong that 4th place can be rewarded so much more than those finishing 2nd.

Unless of course 4th is Queen of the South and 2nd is the huns. In which case i'm right behind it...

Whilst it's a bold and and honourable idea, I can't see the point in doing it. How does that inspire anyone to finish higher up in the league if there isn't a real benefit?  There has to be some monetary or reward.  I don't disagree with the euro prize money being filtered through the league, but the actual league prize money should not be shared.

Wow, really? That really is a sad state of affairs if true. It's a sport, about being the best. It has f*ck all to do with the money. Crowds will improve the better ye play - there's yer money. I love winning when I play fitba, and it has f*ck all to do with money.

One of the things I'm slightly concerned about if the huns don't get up any time soon, is that we've just bought two captains of our rivals this season. I dinna want us massively outspending teams around us, that's nae much fun. If we want an equitable and sporting league, with 16 (or even just 12) strong teams, then it's important to get them all to a decent standard. The more equal the league is, the better it will be. We can all improve together for the betterment of the whole league. Split the euro income and I might even support the tims in europe (nae likely!).

Not only do the above, but market the shiite out of it. Make it known that we have "the fairest league in the world", and make a big play on the equality and excitement. Talk it up. There's a huge niche there with our neighbours to the south being an embarrassment of plastic wealth. Make our league the antithesis of theirs, and milk it to death. Make Scottish fitba fashionable, and unique. The whole team x wins, team x gets mair cash, team x wins again formula is what drives people away. If we want teams like QOTS in our league, then we need to make them strong. Share the wealth man..

How can the "wealth be shared" when some footballers are better than others?

Even on the Celtic and AFC bigger budgets, there are less than a handful of good footballers and zero excellent ones.

What sort of level of footballer will be attracted by equality?

People pay to see competition, agreed but they pay to see quality mostly.

How can the "wealth be shared" when some footballers are better than others?

Even on the Celtic and AFC bigger budgets, there are less than a handful of good footballers and zero excellent ones.

What sort of level of footballer will be attracted by equality?

People pay to see competition, agreed but they pay to see quality mostly.

I'm not suggesting all players get paid the same. I'm suggesting that teams begin the season with a known budget as the league payments are the same for every team. How a team spends that budget (one ace player, ten shite) is up to them. If Aberdeen play well and get good crowds then that boosts their budget, but the extremity of the current system where Celtic get nearly all the revenue that comes into the Scottish game can only be changed by making it fair for everyone and giving everyone the same starting chance.

If this season has proved anything, it's that league re-construction is NOT needed.

For the first time I can ever remember, I've actually paid attention to the first division (oops sorry championship cos the guffs call it that).

Yes I admit this is largely schadenfreude with regards to Sevco, but without them there'd still have been the whole Edinburgh derby thing going on.

Smaller leagues would lose that. It's fine as is, the split isnt perfect, but it creates interest where there'd be none.

People too young to know better don't understand why the old two league syetmn was abandoned, it was done so in an era where apeing the guffs wasn't a pre-requisite, and they were even more right now, don't copy the guffs, their marketing is second to none, it doesn't mean their model fits ours, especially in a much smaller country.

If this season has proved anything, it's that league re-construction is NOT needed.

For the first time I can ever remember, I've actually paid attention to the first division (oops sorry championship cos the guffs call it that).

Yes I admit this is largely schadenfreude with regards to Sevco, but without them there'd still have been the whole Edinburgh derby thing going on.

Smaller leagues would lose that. It's fine as is, the split isnt perfect, but it creates interest where there'd be none.

People too young to know better don't understand why the old two league syetmn was abandoned, it was done so in an era where apeing the guffs wasn't a pre-requisite, and they were even more right now, don't copy the guffs, their marketing is second to none, it doesn't mean their model fits ours, especially in a much smaller country.

Completely agree, especially with the last paragraph. I do just about remember when the SPL came about but can't say I was very aware of why etc. Have to hand it to the FA / EPL, they know what they're doing in terms of marketing.

I'm sorry Rico, but I just can't see your plan working, pretty much for the reasons both myself and rocket have outlined. Its a nice idea and I agree with it in principle, but I think the very idea of professional sport needs reward. And sharing wealth sees the reason for progression completely nulifed. Just my opinion, happy to be convinced otherwise.