Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Picking a Team

wi_09

After (finally) noticing there is an Introductions thread in the Off Topic board I thought I would seek some advice from fellow DT users. I have read the site daily for a few years but haven't posted too much.

I wasn't sure if there was an existing thread on this so here goes: Can I choose / make my wee one support the Dons?

The Mrs is due in under a month now and people keep asking us if the wee man will be a Dandy. I know it won't be an issue for a few years but can I make him support the Dons too?

We live in Fife - her old man is a Raith fan (but never goes to games), the Mrs 'follows' Raith because she is from Kdy and her brother is a big Raith fan but lives over the water. The Mrs likes coming along to Dons games and is happy enough for the little one to be a Dandy but is it fair to make him support them? Or should he be allowed to choose when he is old enough?

I don't mind bringing him up to follow Raith's results given the other side of the family have links with them but I want him to be a full on Dandy. When he is old enough to be going to games I don't really want to have to be taking him to games involving one of the Fife teams because they are his local team. I would rather spend the extra money & time for us to get up to Pittodrie when possible and be going to away games.

Anyone got any advice? Was anyone else 'made' to support the Dons?

:-\

Ha, welcome aboard (finally ;) ).

We have a few Fifers on board, one in particular in the guise of Topcorner (par [sic]), his dad's a don and as is he.  I'm sure you'll kid will see the light  :thumbsup:

No reason why he can't have a soft spot for Raith mind - just to be diplomatic!

The way I see it it's a decision made by your parents. As far as I'm concerned I never had a choice. My mother took me to a Dons game in the early 90s and that was that. I loved it and from that point on I was a Don. Some kids might try and deviate (to the Old Firm obviously  ::)) so then it would be your responsibility as a parent to beat that phase out of them.  :hammer:  :wave:

Make him a Dandy  ;D

I was in a pretty similar situation. Grew up in Dunfermline but my dad brought me up an Aberdeen fan.

I still have a soft spot for the Pars, and went to quite a lot of their games when I was younger and lived there, but it was always Aberdeen I supported. I loved supporting a minority team growing up. I think I was one of 2 Dons fans in school which gave me a great siege mentality  :thumbsup:

I reckon the wee man will grow to like Raith regardless if its Aberdeen you ‘make’ him support. A win win for everyone.

Make him a Dandy  ;D

I was in a pretty similar situation. Grew up in Dunfermline but my dad brought me up an Aberdeen fan.

I still have a soft spot for the Pars, and went to quite a lot of their games when I was younger and lived there, but it was always Aberdeen I supported. I loved supporting a minority team growing up. I think I was one of 2 Dons fans in school which gave me a great siege mentality  :thumbsup:

I reckon the wee man will grow to like Raith regardless if its Aberdeen you ‘make’ him support. A win win for everyone.

Welcome to the world of being a Coldplay fan.  :thumbsup:

My dad is a hibee, I support Aberdeen, my oldest daughter was a mascot at the CL game between Celtic & Barcelona thanks to her dad ( she now likes the dons cause she is at uni up there)

You can steer your kids in the right direction (depsite my ex having a Celtic season ticket my youngest daughter likes the dons too cause she has been to games with me and not him)

But ultimately you have to let them support their own team - the nicest thing my dad ever did for me was to take me to Pittodrie as a kid when Easter Road was a bus journey away from us

Good Luck  :thumbsup: