Hendry

Mcnmaarararara

Van Hooijdonk

Hartley

Laudrup

Larsson

Viduka

Gascoigne

Not a very balanced team and I know there are a few i've missed.  Not necessarily players that were great in the league but had great careers and I liked elsewhere.

• 1 year later...

So the SPFL ran a similar one on their site recently, this is what was agreed:

14212223_10155118222178998_6574173380973286600_n.jpg?oh=3109d31886b924ac0ea05f0119795e65&oe=5844F004

McCoist wasn't even the best striker at the huns in his time never mind in the league over 40 years.

Souness as well is a ridiculous shout, was well past his best by then. Would be as well sticking George Best in too on that basis...

That is a cracking back 5 though.

McCoist wasn't even the best striker at the huns in his time never mind in the league over 40 years.

Souness as well is a ridiculous shout, was well past his best by then. Would be as well sticking George Best in too on that basis...

That is a cracking back 5 though.

Word. Rooney would have been a better option play with Larsson in terms of a compatable player.  Lennon would be a far better option than Souness

Laudrup, Larsson & Gascoigne are the first three names in the team.

I think that's an awesome 10*. It's fantasy stuff obviously because when we cross decades and eras, the game changed. Today at the elite level - the SPFL is not "elite" level football despite it being the best we have in this country - footballers are faster and fitter so the likes of JJ and DMcG might not have been as effective but given their stand-out careers, probably have been the most dominantly-superior in those positions.

Very clever inclusion of L, M & McL. They were one unit and connected almost telepathically. Goram - who spellchecker insists on calling Gotham, presumably the joker because of his personality - might feel hard done by but Leighton deserves his place because of the brilliant effectiveness of the unit.

* McCoist in there is unfathomable. It's too silly to waste words on.

Word. Rooney would have been a better option play with Larsson in terms of a compatable player.  Lennon would be a far better option than Souness

Lennon would be a good foil for Gascoigne, but Lambert could do that job and was a better player, but really, you're picking the best XI I would say Paul McStay has to be in there - know it's probably not a popular call but on his day he was a majestic player.  Carried a below average tim team for a long time, and was a stand out in a couple of very good Celtic teams too.

Laudrup, Larsson & Gascoigne are the first three names in the team.

I think that's an awesome 10*. It's fantasy stuff obviously because when we cross decades and eras, the game changed. Today at the elite level - the SPFL is not "elite" level football despite it being the best we have in this country - footballers are faster and fitter so the likes of JJ and DMcG might not have been as effective but given their stand-out careers, probably have been the most dominantly-superior in those positions.

Very clever inclusion of L, M & McL. They were one unit and connected almost telepathically. Goram - who spellchecker insists on calling Gotham, presumably the joker because of his personality - might feel hard done by but Leighton deserves his place because of the brilliant effectiveness of the unit.

* McCoist in there is unfathomable. It's too silly to waste words on.

Goram was obviously a very good keeper in his own right, but always felt he received praise for making seemingly amazing saves which other keepers would take more comfortably because they had better physiques for goalkeepers.  He still pulled of some incredible saves, don't get me wrong, but the range of saves guys like Leighton and Snelders could make was much wider.

The save Snelders made in the 89 Cup Final from McCoist's (?) header is probably the best save I've seen in my life - the ball was above and beyond him before he knew it but his reactions and technique to get that over the bar was truly world class.  It looks great on tv, but at the match it looked as though he was completely beaten.  Goram would have got nowhere near that, for example.

I wasn't intending a Leighton v. Goram debate.

The 1-1 draw at Pittodrie (when Gatuso came on for the 2nd half) was all the proof we needed that both were huge talents.

Snelders was never in the same league however. A great keeper for sure. Just never in the same ballpark.

I know, I was merely making conversation.