Author Topic: THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB  (Read 139351 times)

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
  • Rating: 51
Re: THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2008, 09:01:43 PM »
I've read that too and whilst it seems to be similar material they use I could probably say Taylor is less dry than Crick. I finished by actually wondering if Crick was a United fan as the book is so devoid of passion.

Was Crick's over a similar timescale, as Taylor's was just over last season and the rather disasterous one before which kind of set up a rather convenient Jekyll/Hyde feeling to it?
It's not about escaping. It's about getting out with a bit of dignity.
If you're in it, don't fucking moan about it, make it yours and leave a mark

bloo_toon_red

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2008, 09:02:12 PM »

Houston we have a problem.

Post edited.  :thumbsup:

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2008, 09:02:57 PM »
Was Crick's over a similar timescale, as Taylor's was just over last season and the rather disasterous one before which kind of set up a rather convenient Jekyll/Hyde feeling to it?

Crick's is over his whole life.

Offline bilbobaggins

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 37
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »
Yeah, Similar thread of criticisms in terms of Fergies supposed blindspots and personal failings though.
SupercalifragilisticBorussiaMuenchenGladbach

bloo_toon_red

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2008, 09:07:16 PM »
Michael Crick did a TV documentary a few years back that was extremely cynical.  He regaled the story of how Ferguson set about Neale Cooper in a pub one night.  By complete chance, I met Neale Cooper a couple of months later and got chatting with him and I brought this story up.  The truth of the story was considerably different to the version that Crick told.  There's no denying that Fergie has a dark side, but having heard this story from the horse's mouth as it were, I was inclined to give the Crick book a wide berth.

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »
Michael Crick did a TV documentary a few years back that was extremely cynical.  He regaled the story of how Ferguson set about Neale Cooper in a pub one night.  By complete chance, I met Neale Cooper a couple of months later and got chatting with him and I brought this story up.  The truth of the story was considerably different to the version that Crick told.  There's no denying that Fergie has a dark side, but having heard this story from the horse's mouth as it were, I was inclined to give the Crick book a wide berth.

Is that the one that Cooper was in a bar drinking coke and the story got back to Fergie...?

Fergie obviously has a dark side to him... look at how he ostricised guys like Black, Leighton, Stam, Beckham and van Nistelrooy throughout his career. Although he didn't necessarily do it through the papers, everyone knew why they weren't playing... the good thing about Taylor's book is that it tells you how the press room reacts to him, how he can manipulate folk  as well as giving you the bits that weren't suitable for the papers or the TV.

bloo_toon_red

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2008, 09:34:26 PM »
Is that the one that Cooper was in a bar drinking coke and the story got back to Fergie...?

Fergie obviously has a dark side to him... look at how he ostricised guys like Black, Leighton, Stam, Beckham and van Nistelrooy throughout his career. Although he didn't necessarily do it through the papers, everyone knew why they weren't playing... the good thing about Taylor's book is that it tells you how the press room reacts to him, how he can manipulate folk  as well as giving you the bits that weren't suitable for the papers or the TV.

The very same, yes.

The players you mentioned though, did any of them go on to bigger and better things?  Ostracised or not, Fergie made them the players they were and they all got too big for their boots.  There's no amount of Fergie-bashing that can take that fact away, and for me that's the bottom line.

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2008, 11:02:15 PM »
The very same, yes.

The players you mentioned though, did any of them go on to bigger and better things?  Ostracised or not, Fergie made them the players they were and they all got too big for their boots.  There's no amount of Fergie-bashing that can take that fact away, and for me that's the bottom line.

I wasn't saying they went anywhere to do better things or otherwise. I was saying they were big name players who he took exception to almost publicly.  Fergie bashing? me? i'd hardly think so.

Offline bilbobaggins

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2008, 06:53:10 AM »
I think Stam, Beckham and Van Nistelrooy went to two of the biggest Clubs in the world. Certainly more successful in European Cup wins anyway.

No amount of misty eyed Man U romanticism can deny that. ;)

Offline glasgowdon

• Captain
  • Rating: 1317
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2008, 10:21:45 AM »
I have just been going through the GD Manor library and have been reading some of the novels that have been lying around. The usual war,espionage stuff that I a enjoy.

Frederick Forsyth - The Devil's Alternative.

Well paced, good story, the usual sort of Forsyth formula but I found it entertaining and I would recommend it if you enjoy a good Cold War espionage novel.

Offline smooth

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 4
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 10:36:52 AM »
Just finished a couple books by colin bateman. A kind of irish carl hiassen/brookmyre tpe. very good and very funny especially the dan starkey novels

also finished two by gianrico carofiglio, lawyer/crime type books, excellently written and based in bari.

Also have to recommend Stone Junction by Jim Dodge absolutley superb, a must read for everyone.
bigger than hitler better than christ

bloo_toon_red

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2008, 11:38:20 AM »
I think Stam, Beckham and Van Nistelrooy went to two of the biggest Clubs in the world. Certainly more successful in European Cup wins anyway.

No amount of misty eyed Man U romanticism can deny that. ;)

Really?
Remind me how many European Cups Stam, Beckham and van Nistelrooy won when they left Manchester Utd.

BB - I was talking about Crick bashing Fergie, not you, wind yer neck in! ;)

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »
Really?
Remind me how many European Cups Stam, Beckham and van Nistelrooy won when they left Manchester Utd.

D'oh!

Offline bilbobaggins

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »
Really?

Remind me how many European Cups Manchester Utd won after Stam, Beckham and van Nistelrooy left .

bloo_toon_red

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
Remind me how many European Cups Manchester Utd won after Stam, Beckham and van Nistelrooy left .

Remind me how many league titles Stam, Beckham and van Nistelrooy won after they left Manchester Utd?

Offline bilbobaggins

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2008, 12:38:28 PM »
Remind me how many league titles Stam, Beckham and van Nistelrooy won after they left Manchester Utd?

They have all won one.

United won 2 since they all departed (last season included) and would probably have won more with these 3 in the team. Man U's worst period in the last 20 years pretty much happened when these 3 left.

Offline TENEMENTFUNSTER

• Manager
  • Rating: 238
  • Prancing about naked, bold as brass!
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2008, 02:22:32 PM »
They have all won one.

United won 2 since they all departed (last season included) and would probably have won more with these 3 in the team. Man U's worst period in the last 20 years pretty much happened when these 3 left.

A period that also coincided with the arrival of Abramovich.

Just finished Simon Kernick - The Business of Dying

and Tom Cain - The Accident Man.
Moaning faced, tight-fisted, Aberdonian cunts!

Tuckers Law - If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up because that cunt's a cunt!

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2008, 03:27:26 PM »
I've just finished reading "Great Expectations".

It wasn't all I hoped it would be.

Offline bilbobaggins

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »
I just finished The History of the Pneumatic Tyre by Eric Tompkins. It was a let down.

Caroline B

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »
Continuing on a football note. Bryan Gunn's "In Where it hurts" is a very good read. I must confess to being a little misty eyed when I read about the death of his daughter Francesca in the book.

A must read for Dons fans with loads of humour in it as well as some serious stuff.  :thumbsup: