Author Topic: THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB  (Read 139713 times)

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
Re: THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB
« Reply #920 on: October 21, 2017, 09:06:19 AM »
April 2018 Manc.

So been far to busy working on the new house to read.
From looks of this thread looks like abody has either given up reading or been reading shite not worth recommending. C'mon folks, the winter months are upon us and I need reading material

Have you read all the recommendations on the thread yet?

I was waiting for positive feedback on my last recommendation before suggesting another you see.

Chasing Shadows by Ken Hughes worth a read, about Nixon. But read the last recommendation first.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -162
« Reply #921 on: October 21, 2017, 09:58:10 AM »
There are also these buildings called libraries. I discovered many great writers by random selection. The teenage rocket had never heard of Emile Zola, Kurt Vonnegut, Philip Roth, John Updike, Albert Camus, Gore Vidal and many many more, before devouring most of their whole bibliographies.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #922 on: October 21, 2017, 12:14:07 PM »
Haha, cheers al, that's bloody ages away! being away Ive read a couple of late, in particular Regarding world war 2:

H,H,H,H by Laurent bidet - about the czexhoslovak resistance in the second world war and the Heinrich Himmler. Great read although the short chapters were a bit annoying.

The last train to Istanbul by ayse kulin. Story of the Turkish trying to save both Jews and their own citizens from the hands of the horrible French and the nazis. It's a nice wee story, probably aided my bad feelings towards the French who seem rude and inconsiderate.

After visiting la paz, I'm currently reading marching powder. Excellent read and insight into San Pedro prison.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:41:45 PM by manc_don »

Offline Madbadteacher

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 45
« Reply #923 on: October 21, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »
Did a quick tally and it looks like 43 books so far this year, from non-fiction to Neil Gaiman to John Sandford to Fritz Leiber to all the Rebus books.

Just finished Malcolm MacKay's Glasgow trilogy, no too bad, decent characters.
CO100
H2S25
CH450
O218

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
« Reply #924 on: January 19, 2018, 05:35:02 PM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-We-Sleep-Science-Dreams-ebook/dp/B06Y649387/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Matthew Walker - Why We Sleep

Ok it's only the third week in January and I'm going to make a bold prediction and state there is not likely to be a book I'll read in 2018 that will make as big an impression upon me as this one.
I was given an advance copy some time ago for review and never actually got around to reading it. By fuck not only do I wish I'd read it when I got it, I wish I'd been able to read it many many years ago.
Not being medically minded, I have never realised the impact sleep or probably more so lack of sleep has upon the human brain, body, health and general well being to go about your life.
Totally, totally life changing, thank you Matthew Walker :thumbsup:

Steve warm his seat up

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #925 on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:42 PM »
Having just been fucked off by you on another thread, I love hearing your enthusiasm about that book. I'm similarly going through a book enthusiasm orgasm.

I just finished White Trash. Found this intro online - In this landmark book, Nancy Isenberg argues that the voters who boosted Trump all the way to the White House have been a permanent part of the American fabric.

Just starting Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge. It's awesome already.

Both books written in 2017, by women and highly critically acclaimed. Love learning stuff and this stuff is huge.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #926 on: January 19, 2018, 06:58:01 PM »
The Reni Eddo-Lodge one that you refer to actually shows up on Amazon as bought by people who bought the Matthew Walker one. See the kindle version is down to just over two quid, so going to buy. Nae idea when i will get around to reading it though as got a fair few from NetGalley to read and review.
Steve warm his seat up

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #927 on: January 19, 2018, 11:45:23 PM »
Reading In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat at the moment. Decent read like, very interesting, but hard going on a subject I dinna really understand (quantum mechanics) - well written for the layman.

Done, The Secret Deals That Are Changing Our World was also a decent read recently. Read Beyond Civilisation by Daniel Quinn at the end of the year, was okay, but the Ishmael book is better and also Kate Raworth's Doughnut Economics, which is quite good too. Elif Shafak's 3 Daughter of Eve was a good story on the fiction side.

Nothing as good on the fictional side of things as The Sellout by Paul Beatty as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Get it read if you haven't already. Classic.

Online hebrew

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 40
« Reply #928 on: January 20, 2018, 07:48:49 AM »
These all sound fascinating!
I've got around half a dozen books from Christmas waiting to be read including one about suffragettes and one about trees......

Just finished The Comet Seekers by Helen Sedgwick - it was very good and now reading How to Stop Time by Matt Haig - both actually involve history & romance so dunno why I read them back to back  ;D

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #929 on: January 20, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
I ‘m halfway through the Trump book. Most of the juicy stuff is already reported but it’s a good page turner.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #930 on: May 09, 2018, 12:01:55 AM »
BigAl, have you started the second book by Walter Lucius yet? Downloaded it last night but need to reread the last few chapters of the first to remember what happened!  :thumbsup:

Al, no need to read the last few chapters of the old one, new one starts with two chapters of catch up, albeit from a slightly different angle.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:15:56 PM by manc_don »

Offline scotfree

• Administrator
  • Rating: 27
« Reply #931 on: May 12, 2018, 11:03:59 PM »
Halfway through 'The Unnamed' by Joshua Ferris.
Really enjoying it.
"If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win"
Bill Shankly

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #932 on: May 14, 2018, 09:43:08 AM »
BigAl, have you started the second book by Walter Lucius yet? Downloaded it last night but need to reread the last few chapters of the first to remember what happened!  :thumbsup:

Al, no need to read the last few chapters of the old one, new one starts with two chapters of catch up, albeit from a slightly different angle.

I have it on the kindle. Might not get to it until late August when I'm away on holiday.
Have loads of books waiting to be read, many of which are ARC's as I get sent advance copies for review purposes.
Steve warm his seat up

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #933 on: May 19, 2018, 11:45:11 PM »
I have it on the kindle. Might not get to it until late August when I'm away on holiday.
Have loads of books waiting to be read, many of which are ARC's as I get sent advance copies for review purposes.

Thoroughly enjoying it, you’ll smash it. Nearly done myself. The only annoyance is I’m guessing we’ll have to wait another year for the final one!

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #934 on: May 23, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »
RIP Philip Roth, died today aged 85.

When I first went to Aberdeen Central Library, I would take books at random off the shelves. I picked one by Roth and thereafter devoured everything they had of his, as I did with other writers I enjoyed. I was too young to get all his nuances and meanings at first but he stayed with me in life as a favourite writer.

Most on here will never have read him of course and most teenagers have a literary breadth narrower than a ba hair but they don't make many like that any more. Great man.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #935 on: May 23, 2018, 03:26:36 PM »
Have you read "The Plot Against America"?

A good read like. Surprised there's not been a film of it like, as it'd fit well in cinema format. Not read American Pastoral, will maybe make a space for it on the kindle at some point.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #936 on: May 23, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »

A good read like. Surprised there's not been a film of it like, as it'd fit well in cinema format. Not read American Pastoral, will maybe make a space for it on the kindle at some point.

I've not read that one but will be doing so. His death has reminded me that I've not read everything he's written.

American Pastoral was on my bookshelves for many years but a cursory glance and I don't see it. Someone must have "borrowed" it. Aye, it is a good read.

Some of Roth's books, probably more than half in my opinion aren't brilliant but some are definitely. The one thing I never found after reading him was well that was a waste of time. I Married a Communist is the only Roth I came across on my shelves just now but I know I have others somewhere, or at least I did have.

Gore Vidal and John Updike were other Americans I never liked EVERYTHING they wrote, totally different genres of course but I preferred the humour you get with Roth. I guess we have to plough through much shit to find the flowers and whilst I don't consider any of Roth's writings as "shit", he was never a 100% hit rate for me. Neither was Hemingway too I guess and like those three, did produce some outstanding literature.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #937 on: May 23, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »
the only Roth I came across on my shelves just now but I know I have others somewhere, or at least I did have.

If they're anything like the cheap-shite Roth I picked up at the airport, they'll be missing many pages, which just seemed to fall out at will. Annoying as fuck like, and one of the reasons I use a kindle these days as it happened to quite a few books I bought in succession. The plot against america definitely worth a read like, even just from the (un)historical perspective. It's an alternative history of course, but it's believable.

Read The Sellout by Paul Beatty first though. It's imperative that someone other than me does.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #938 on: May 23, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »

Read it a number of years ago.
Extremely thought provoking with strong characters
All round a mighty fine and enjoyable read.
Somewhat surprisingly the only Philip Roth book I have actually read. Need to rectify that.
Steve warm his seat up

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #939 on: May 25, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »
This:

https://genius.com/Carol-an-duffy-mrs-faust-annotated

Never read it before. Good if you have a spare few minutes.