Author Topic: THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB  (Read 135212 times)

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
Re: THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »
Just finished "Blood River" by Tim Butcher. Thoroughly good read and recommended.

Away to have a scout about on Amazon for my next read
Steve warm his seat up

Offline SuperKev82

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »
If yer into boxing al get nigel benns biography :thumbsup:

Cheer Up!

Offline Superstar Tradesman

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 15
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 08:16:53 PM »
Just finished the Willie Miller book and since I'm doing fuck all else today, I finished the book I was reading whilst I commute to work - Night Fall by Nelson Demille.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Fall-Nelson-DeMille/dp/0751531804/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204488819&sr=8-1

A good wee read and I'm pleased to hear the main character (a New York detective turned counter-terrorist squad agent) appears in a few of his other books.  Probably pick them up the next time I'm buying some more books.

Offline Harcus

• Captain
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »
Reading 'Are You Dave Gorman?' which is quite entertaining, as well as reading 'Lanark'.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2008, 09:31:27 PM »
Just finished the Willie Miller book and since I'm doing fuck all else today, I finished the book I was reading whilst I commute to work - Night Fall by Nelson Demille.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Fall-Nelson-DeMille/dp/0751531804/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204488819&sr=8-1

A good wee read and I'm pleased to hear the main character (a New York detective turned counter-terrorist squad agent) appears in a few of his other books.  Probably pick them up the next time I'm buying some more books.

ST, can recommend Nelson Demille books as I've read them all. :thumbsup:
Steve warm his seat up

Offline glasgow sheep

• fucking booooo
  • Club Legend
  • Rating: 36
    • Home of the Glasgow Reds
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2008, 11:58:40 PM »
Currently working my way through "The Ball Is Round. A Global History of Football".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ball-Round-Global-History-Football/dp/0670914800/ref=pd_sbs_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1204502140&sr=8-1

Onto the last 200 or so pages and we are into the 90s and the global change in football driven by money and the break up of communist europe.
Has been an excellent read, although at times you feel you want a bit more detail and a bit less stuff about england but covers in reasonable detail the game throughout europe, africa and south america, with a little less about North America and Asia.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:00:47 AM by glasgow sheep »

Offline Superstar Tradesman

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 15
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »
ST, can recommend Nelson Demille books as I've read them all. :thumbsup:

Cheers BigAl.

Liked the sharp tongue on Corey and his dislike for authority, so I'll definitely pick up the rest.

:thumbsup:

Offline TENEMENTFUNSTER

• Manager
  • Rating: 238
  • Prancing about naked, bold as brass!
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2008, 10:40:17 AM »
Not Dead Enough by Peter James

Severed by Steve Krasnik, both better than decent reads.
Moaning faced, tight-fisted, Aberdonian cunts!

Tuckers Law - If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up because that cunt's a cunt!

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2008, 10:42:08 AM »
Severed by Steve Krasnik

Is it about your leg?

Offline TENEMENTFUNSTER

• Manager
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2008, 10:43:25 AM »
Is it about your leg?

Mixing me up with fatjim!

Tuckers Law - If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up because that cunt's a cunt!

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »
Not Dead Enough by Peter James

Was given that one at Xmas from the bairn, but nae started reading it yet
Steve warm his seat up

Offline TENEMENTFUNSTER

• Manager
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2008, 11:48:40 AM »
I've got legs

That were severed from your feet.

Offline Drewsome

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 5
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2008, 07:53:48 PM »
Buddy of mine is loaning me Fergie's Biography sounds like a good read according to him.  Anyone else read it?
Always a pint waiting for a Dons Fan who finds their way to my side of the Atlantic

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
  • Rating: 51
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Buddy of mine is loaning me Fergie's Biography sounds like a good read according to him.  Anyone else read it?

Is it the one he did when he was at the Dons or the one he released about 10 years ago?
It's not about escaping. It's about getting out with a bit of dignity.
If you're in it, don't fucking moan about it, make it yours and leave a mark

Offline bilbobaggins

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 37
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2008, 08:43:06 PM »

Buddy of mine is loaning me Fergie's Biography sounds like a good read according to him.  Anyone else read it?

Managing My Life? Yeah, it's ok but if you want a different spin on Fergie then get The Boss: The Many Sides of Alex Ferguson by Michael Crick. He's a United fan but doesn't come across as the rabid gluepot as most of their fans do.  He's pretty insightful into the darker side of the man.

I just finished both The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Both are great but Never Let Me Go is an absolute must that I read in 2 nights.

SupercalifragilisticBorussiaMuenchenGladbach

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
  • Rating: 51
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »
Managing My Life? Yeah, it's ok but if you want a different spin on Fergie then get The Boss: The Many Sides of Alex Ferguson by Michael Crick. He's a United fan but doesn't come across as the rabid gluepot as most of their fans do.  He's pretty insightful into the darker side of the man.

Another good book on Fergie is "This is the One - The Uncut Story of a Football Genius", by Daniel Taylor.

Like the one Bilbo mentions (which i'll be buying), it's written by a guy who is a ManUtd fan but isn't scared to get stuck into him if needs be. Shows many sides of Fergie in it, and it is a really cracking read.
It's not about escaping. It's about getting out with a bit of dignity.
If you're in it, don't fucking moan about it, make it yours and leave a mark

bloo_toon_red

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2008, 08:57:13 PM »
Managing My Life? Yeah, it's ok but if you want a different spin on Fergie then get The Boss: The Many Sides of Alex Ferguson by Michael Crick. He's a United fan but doesn't come across as the rabid gluepot as most of their fans do.  He's pretty insightful into the darker side of the man.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:06:52 PM by bloo_toon_red »

Offline bilbobaggins

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2008, 08:58:38 PM »
Another good book on Fergie is "This is the One - The Uncut Story of a Football Genius", by Daniel Taylor.

Like the one Bilbo mentions (which i'll be buying), it's written by a guy who is a ManUtd fan but isn't scared to get stuck into him if needs be. Shows many sides of Fergie in it, and it is a really cracking read.

I've read that too and whilst it seems to be similar material they use I could probably say Taylor is less dry than Crick. I finished by actually wondering if Crick was a United fan as the book is so devoid of passion.

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »
Managing My Life? Yeah, it's ok but if you want a different spin on Fergie then get The Boss: The Many Sides of Alex Ferguson by Michael Crick. He's a United fan but doesn't come across as the rabid gluepot as most of their fans do.  He's pretty insightful into the darker side of the man.

I've read Crick's book and I thought it was an extremely well researched book and very fascinating.

Offline bilbobaggins

• Midfield Maestro