Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Spanish Conspiracy Theory.

Anyone else find it strange that whilst the whole country was gripped in a recession and unemployment at an all time high, that Spanish teams and athletes were so dominant?

For example Barca & Spain were picking up silverware and breaking records everywhere and Rafa was running the show in tennis (whilst making females weak at the knees with his impressive physique despite saying he rarely lifts weights).

Then this happens......

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/22361185

But no names come out, big cover-up, nothing to see here.

Yet almost overnight Barca win fuck all, Spain are looking likely to be first on the plane home from Brazil and Rafa's perennially injured or crashing out of competitions at the first round despite being the world's numero uno.

In fact, speaking of cover-ups, Rafa's decided to do just that, he's ditching the sleeveless tops in favour of sleeves which give him less freedom.  Why would you want to restrict your movements on court, unless of course it was to hide what is no longer there?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1200180/Rafael-Nadal-talks-fashion-avoids-gym.html#ixzz0LhjxHgW6

Reeks of shite if you ask me.

How did Lance Armstrong get away with it for so long?

Was that not during a period where cyclists just weren't tested? I'm nae sure but that's the impression I had? Or is it more that the means and ways of doping are so advanced that modern testing can't keep up?

If they could bust Rafa at some point in the next week and a half that'd be great.

My (limited) understanding of it is that the clinic was a like a blood bank for the athletes.  They would take blood from the athletes at some point, store it in bags and then inject it back into the athletes when they needed it.

So they'd have more blood in their system when it came time to compete.  More blood means more red blood cells, more red blood cells that carries oxygen round the body, means the body performs better.

I'm not sure if they can test for that?

My (limited) understanding of it is that the clinic was a like a blood bank for the athletes.  They would take blood from the athletes at some point, store it in bags and then inject it back into the athletes when they needed it.

So they'd have more blood in their system when it came time to compete.  More blood means more red blood cells, more red blood cells that carries oxygen round the body, means the body performs better.

I think that's pretty much it, a very sophisticated programme. But the authorities were also slack in pursuing Armstrong as they didn't want their sport tainted any further. At least one of the doctors involved in helping Armstrong was Spanish.

So there's no use of banned substances? It might be immoral but is that illegal?

• 2 weeks later...

Was that not during a period where cyclists just weren't tested? I'm nae sure but that's the impression I had? Or is it more that the means and ways of doping are so advanced that modern testing can't keep up?

If they could bust Rafa at some point in the next week and a half that'd be great.

Off the top of my head David Millar, Maco Pantani, Jan Ulrich all tested postive during his 7 tour wins, but in an effort to provide more evidence I looked up doping cases in cycling. Seriously if you believe cyclists weren't tested, look it up. 10 - 20 a year were testing positive and/or being banned from '99 on (Armstrong's first win), including Armstrong himself in '99.