Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Moving Away

Andrew

I now ask your collect wisdom to help me. I know some have you have moved abroad and I'm wondering about your experiences?

I do not believe in nationalism however I feel, for various reasons, that if Scotland votes no I cannot stay here. My father also moved away fairly young and, for various reasons, I feel I should not stay in Aberdeen, at least not when I have youth on my side.

I will graduate with a 2:2(due to lack of trying and effort) in accountancy. I was wondering what the people on here think about moving away? I was thinking about trying to get experience here first and then think about other options - seems like a good way of doing things.

Another option I was thinking of was using savings to move to somewhere in Europe, live there and learn the language and then go job hunting. Anyway I will soon be at a cross roads in my life and I appreciate everyone's inout.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love living abroad, but I moved to get married so already had inlaws I knew before I moved. I know my cousin moved to Germany last year and failed to settle.

With internet these days it is so much easier to keep in touch with friends and family which makes it easier.

Not sure if I would move without having a plan/job as saved money will dwindle fast.

I moved away at 36 already married with 2 kids. Applied for and got a job internally with my work so I can't really offer advice on how to do it at your age (and I'm clearly scum as I don't have a degree). My only advice would be to go for it, try out new places, new people different cultures.

Have a look on some of the expat jobs forums, do the same as you would for jobs in Aberdeen, send your CV out see what you get back.

Best of luck!

Andrew i feel exactly the same, this is our golden chance to be a nation, forget all the waffle the no campaign comes up with. IF the vast Scottish people vote no due to scare tactics. I too will be seriously looking to move out of this country, once the tories win out right next year ( they will ) this country will be ruined even further, yet our dumb citizens cant see past the " we are better together" slogan.

So be looking to either moving to Canada, USA or Australia. And i have my 2:1 honours degree its getting the work lined up thats the nightmare.

I feel slightly embarrassed with the slagging off the Tories aspect as I am actually pretty right wing and liberal. I believe drugs, prostitution etc. should be legal while at the same time I struggle with the idea of an NHS with no cost at entry. It feels like such a good example of moral hazard - with the idea of free at the point of entry. With this point I often wonder if I could stay in an independent Scotland if it became to left wing. The freer the markets the freer the people and all that! But that's by the by.

When I look at the house of lords and with the two most powerful people in this country both belonging to the bullingdon club I struggle to understand how people can proudly vote no. Localisation is both good for the people and the nation. I do not want to seem small minded I'd like to think I can look beyond the referendum as a reasons for leaving. It'd maybe not be the reason but would be a fairly big catalyst.

Also another thing is that I swiftly edited out when I was sober, now I'm drunk again so I'll put back in. I was thinking donstalk is such a great community - between chatting to Mizer the night before my brothers wedding, speaking to Ajja in a Dundee pub, listening to fatjims radio show, chatting to CTS and Scottfree in live chat and all the general advice that I have received from here. I've been thinking about moving away for a while now and I feel no problem asking here for advice. I feel a virtual round is in order!

I moved to Australia when I was 21. Been here for 18 years now and I have to say it's not all been easy. First 5 years I was fucked in I did not know where I wanted to be. Very homesick. My wife is from Australia so that's really the only reason I stayed to be truthful. But moving here has made me a better person I think. Taken me out of my comfort zone. Done and seen things I would never have believed. Personally, if I were you I would go traveling for a bit. Get to test out the waters. As regards what you say about the independence vote and if no one you really want to move, you will be hard pushed to find a place that the government is not already fucked. Here in Oz we have a total fuckhead in power at the moment. You can never get away from the cunts where ever you move in the world.

I moved to Australia when I was 21. Been here for 18 years now and I have to say it's not all been easy. First 5 years I was fucked in I did not know where I wanted to be. Very homesick. My wife is from Australia so that's really the only reason I stayed to be truthful. But moving here has made me a better person I think. Taken me out of my comfort zone. Done and seen things I would never have believed. Personally, if I were you I would go traveling for a bit. Get to test out the waters. As regards what you say about the independence vote and if no one you really want to move, you will be hard pushed to find a place that the government is not already fucked. Here in Oz we have a total fuckhead in power at the moment. You can never get away from the cunts where ever you move in the world.

Is probably the right answer.

Never thought I'd hear the NHS defined as a social hazard.

I feel slightly embarrassed with the slagging off the Tories aspect as I am actually extremely right wing and liberal. I believe drugs, prostitution etc. should be legal while at the same time I struggle with the idea of an NHS with no cost at entry. It feels like such a good example of moral hazard - with the idea of free at the point of entry. With this point I often wonder if I could stay in an independent Scotland if it became to left wing. The freer the markets the freer the people and all that! But that's by the by.

When I look at the house of lords and with the two most powerful people in this country both belonging to the bullingdon club I struggle to understand how people can proudly vote no. Localisation is both good for the people and the nation. I do not want to seem small minded I'd like to think I can look beyond the referendum as a reasons for leaving. It'd maybe not be the reason but would be a fairly big catalyst.

Also another thing is that I swiftly edited out when I was sober, now I'm drunk again so I'll put back in. I was thinking donstalk is such a great community - between chatting to Mizer the night before my brothers wedding, speaking to Ajja in a Dundee pub, listening to fatjims radio show, chatting to CTS and Scottfree in live chat and all the general advice that I have received from here. I've been thinking about moving away for a while now and I feel no problem asking here for advice. I feel a virtual round is in order! Especially to CTS, I was looking back on my PMs and he seems just a lovely guy.

Did you get drunk again and then post this  ;D

IF the vast Scottish people vote no due to scare tactics.

I am sure many people are voting no and it'll be nothing to do with scare tactics.

There are still many unanswered questions, not least what currency are we going to use?  If its going to be the Euro then they can forget it.  If its sterling then we would be governed by the bank of england.

Need to stop getting pissed and posting on here! Also about the anti NHS stuff I'm sorry but I kind of beleive in a Swiss based insurance system. Think of all these drunks ending up in hospital for no reason and the amount they cost ;)

Also sorry for the independence stuff. Just getting closer to the time and I feel I am getting more passionate about it.

There are still many unanswered questions.....

This arguement really gets my goat.

All the answers will never be given before the YES/NO vote comes around, regardless of how long we postpone it.  Answer the currency one and then there'll be a hundred more off the back of it.

Vote YES now, then there'll be plenty opportunities for you to decide in which direction your country heads thereafter.

To get back on topic...

I moved out of the UK for two reasons; boredom and the weather.  If I had to chose one it would be the weather, which by and large led me to being bored most of the time.

You can't plan anything in the UK, like a bbq for instance as you'll just end up with 20 folk in your kitchen whilst you and a mate are outside with an umbrella cooking steaks in the rain.  Nice day outside, phone your mate, agree to meet up at the golf course and by the time you get there it's pissing down.  Knee-deep in snow, get up at the crack of dawn, head to Glen Shee and you can't get up the road coz they've closed the road.  Constantly fucking sucks.

So I'd spend my whole year saving and booking weekenders or a week or two in the sun as often as I could, before coming back to a weekly rotation of work-tv-sleep-work-tv-sleep-work-tv-sleep.......  That's not living life, that's just a slow, comfortable death as far as I'm concerned.  Check your Facebook updates from friends and family in the UK and it's filled with posts about what's on the tv.  That's about as interesting as life gets there.

One thing I've noticed about living outside of the UK is that I don't need to own so much 'stuff'.  At first I thought it was because of my transient nature, that I'd best not accumulate so much shit as I might have to pack it up and move on some day.  But I've grown to realise that I don't need so much 'stuff' to keep me 'happy'.  Back home I collected cars, I had both a Playstation and an Xbox just to settle that arguement, the latest iPhone the minute it came out, wardrobes full of clothes, more shoes and trainers than Imelda Marcos.  Here I walk everywhere, take public transport, could fit my clothes into a couple suitcases, I only buy what I actually need and without doubt I feel like I have so much more.

Right, that's lunchtime, I'm away to sit outside and grab a bite to eat.  8)

Correct, the things I see people complaining about the British Government is the same people over here are saying about Obama. No Jobs, Too many illegal immigrants etc

I've not lived abroad since I was 3 or 4 years old so I can't really give any good advice on that. My sister went abroad for uni. Initially she didn't want to go and found it very tough. By the end she didn't want to come back and stayed abroad for a number of years. Life is for living so if you want to try something plan it out and then do it. Don't fuck about wondering what if.

Regarding the yes/no thing.. I'd still say I'm undecided although definitely leaning towards yes. More heavily than ever in fact. Although my worry is that we're going to vote yes for the sake of it and not because it'll benefit us as a nation. As someone else said we won't know the answers to all the questions until we jump in at the deep end. And am I the only one that thinks about the battles that have been fought in this country's history and how hard people fought, bled and died to be independent only to be eventually thwarted time and again? In my opinion I really think we should give it a go.

I've been very lucky in that I have the best family (my step daughters and granddaughters, even my parents-in-law) that have genuinely kept in touch/looked after me since Pam died in June.

No reason to go "home" other than AFC, if we make a final I might visit.

Oh and a wedding to go to in April if I can manage!

I love life in the USA, probably because of the family, but it also just "feels" right for me to be here, even if I cannna get a teaching job at the moment, but I feel "at home" here.

TBF Andrew, I was 45 when I made the big jump, and also aware that my Dad, after my mum had been dead for a few years, had the same chance to move here (he'd been here several times as an engineer on trans-Atlantic liners) because he'd been in a relationship with a US woman based near his home who had to move back, and, for whatever reason, he didn't. I thought maybe I shouldn't miss the chance.

It hasn't been all smooth sailing, I still have to convince USCIS to let me stay (sadly Pam died before my 2 years were complete, so I have to apply for change of status) but I dinna regret a second (and ask some older posters on here I've not always been the happiest person in the world) but I suspect they'd tell you I've been much more positive in the last few years.

My honest advice?

If it feels right GO FOR IT! take the chance whilst you have it loon!

Just do it.

It's not always easy and not particularly glamorous but - in my experience at least - the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I moved to Greece straight after Uni, (Zakynthos and then Thessaloniki), then moved to NYC, back over to London, then to Santa Monica and this last week moved to another place in California near Palm Springs. Each place has it's own challenges and benefits but life is really what you make of it.

If it doesn't work out then you can always try somewhere else, and failing that you can move home!

The only things I miss are friends and family - don't miss the shitty weather, sitting in the same seats in the same bars regurgitating the same old shit patter. And, when it works, you can use RedTV to watch the Dandies play. Magic.

Just do it.

It's not always easy and not particularly glamorous but - in my experience at least - the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I moved to Greece straight after Uni, (Zakynthos and then Thessaloniki), then moved to NYC, back over to London, then to Santa Monica and this last week moved to another place in California near Palm Springs. Each place has it's own challenges and benefits but life is really what you make of it.

If it doesn't work out then you can always try somewhere else, and failing that you can move home!

The only things I miss are friends and family - don't miss the shitty weather, sitting in the same seats in the same bars regurgitating the same old shit patter. And, when it works, you can use RedTV to watch the Dandies play. Magic.

You don't have any friends  :P

Surely living anywhere is what you make it tho - the weather doesn't bother me in the slightest - I don't spend endless days watching the telly or playing on an xbox and having a bbq in the rain just adds to the fun

Friends and family are exactly why I love living in Scotland

I love going on holiday but I love coming home again too

Each to their own I suppose  :thumbsup:

Surely living anywhere is what you make it tho - the weather doesn't bother me in the slightest - I don't spend endless days watching the telly or playing on an xbox and having a bbq in the rain just adds to the fun

Absolutely agree - life is what you make of it!

Exactly.

I have friends and family that can't see past Aberdeen or the North East of Scotland and love it there.  I just never felt settled.  In fact I feel more settled somewhere that I know I'll not live permanently than 'stuck' in a house in Aberdeen for the rest of my days.

I always found it weird that my friends and family can be so content, constantly living indoors, complaining about the weather with very little outlets for pleasure that doesn't revolve around drink.  Although I'm sure I'm just as weird wanting to live so far from friends, family and the comfort zone that comes from living back home.

One thing is for sure though, I'm glad I'll never have that 'what if' question rolling around my head.  You can always go back.  Although I doubt I ever will.  It almost feels like stepping back in time whenever I visit Aberdeen nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Gee3THtb8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Living abroad just feels like one long holiday.

But each to their own.

You don't have any friends  :P

Aye. He alienated them all with "constant use of the terms knob jockey and wank fuck".  :thumbsup:;D

I've never had a burning ambition to leave Aberdeen. The weather can be crap at times but it's never bothered me that much. I've thought about moving abroad before but never really looked into it a whole lot. Since 2001 my family's been shrinking. Dropping like flies in fact, and now it's just me, my two sisters and my Dad left (in the UK) and my Dad is 80 years old. Although remarkably fit for a man of his age I still make a point of visiting him once a week because he needs help around his house and garden. (I'm a pretty experienced tree surgeon thanks to him and just last weekend I had to chop down another tree). My sisters are both away so moving away really isn't an option for me right now. But since I don't mind Aberdeen as much as some of yous it's not something I'll ever be resentful towards him for.