Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New defender

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20130726/defender-joins-dons-on-loan_2212158_3328819

width=249 height=212http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/8f/93/0,,10284~12096399,00.jpg[/img]

Aberdeen this evening completed the signing of Reading central defender Michael Hector on a half season loan. The 21 year old, who is eligible to play for either England or Jamaica, joined the Championship side in 2009, spending subsequent loan periods at Barnet, where he was named Young Player of the Season for 2011-12, Shewsbury, Aldershot and Cheltenham Town.

Manager Derek McInnes commented. "With the current defensive injury situation, I'm delighted to have been able to bring in Michael, who is a big strong lad who comes with a good pedigree. Michael's arrival concludes things as far as players coming in is concerned while we are looking at loan deals going the other way for one or two of our younger lads."

Hector goes straight into the squad for this evening's Pittodrie friendly with FC Twente.

Just seen this. Hector is a top player, thought he would have gone back to Reading in the Chamionship to fight for his place. Composed, strong in the tackle, good awareness and positioning, comfortable with the ball at his feet and not afraid to step forward with it. When he first came in at Cheltenham he made the odd mistake but soon settled down and I'd have struggled to choose between him and Steve Elliot.

Just seen this. Hector is a top player, thought he would have gone back to Reading in the Chamionship to fight for his place. Composed, strong in the tackle, good awareness and positioning, comfortable with the ball at his feet and not afraid to step forward with it. When he first came in at Cheltenham he made the odd mistake but soon settled down and I'd have struggled to choose between him and Steve Elliot.

That's quite a recommendation, not sure you could say that about anyone we have already.

No doubt he'll fail miserably now...

Honestly can't see why he would though. We got glowing reports from Shots fans who felt he was returning to Reading to challenge when they were in the Premiership. Think he was POTY at Barnet the year before and I think was a standout in our run in last season. Pretty sure that cunt Carlisle targeted him in the playoff semi, breaking his ribs. I don't think there's a Cheltenham who would not have wanted him back this season.

It's always hard to tell in friendlies, but he looked pretty solid and seemed comfortable when he had the ball at his feet. He was also good at covering the right areas when the other defenders were making challenges/going forward.

Will see how he gets on in competitive matches, but, I would say, overall he looks a decent signing. (That's the cue for him to be the new Winnie! ::))

• 8 months later...

Would imagine we've seen the last of Hector in an Aberdeen shirt.

Getting a game now at Reading and MOTM award in last night's game.

Seems to be split opinion on him amongst the Reading support however.

Aye, I lost hope a long time ago with him.  The reviews even before he came appeared that he would be destined for bigger things.  I'd be very happy if we got Logan back.

Aye, I lost hope a long time ago with him.  The reviews even before he came appeared that he would be destined for bigger things.  I'd be very happy if we got Logan back.

Manc, watched highlights of the Reading v Leicester game on Sky at lunchtime today (no like I've got anything better to do), I know it was only highlights and he was played in mid field, but I have got no clue from what I saw as to how he could have got MOTM.

Manc, watched highlights of the Reading v Leicester game on Sky at lunchtime today (no like I've got anything better to do), I know it was only highlights and he was played in mid field, but I have got no clue from what I saw as to how he could have got MOTM.

I watched a couple of minutes of it yesterday and wondered if that was him in midfield. As I said, I think I'd rather have Logan.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Did anyone else see this on the Deadline Day transfer feed?

"Alex Stewart- Football Manager computer game expert

The view from the gaming world

Michael Hector - Reading

Today Fifa Interactive World Cup 2014 Grand Final competitor David Bytheway and Football Manager expert Alex Stewart will be providing insight and analysis of players involved in deals from a gamer's perspective.

"A towering centre-back, with punchy figures for tackling, heading, marking, and decent passing and vision for a centre-back, he is currently at Reading and, in my game at least, remains there. He is, however, worth £7.25 million for a team who finished 19th in the Championship, so he must have something about him and his stats would tend to agree. Would be a fine signing for a ball-playing team that need a bit of muscle to replace an outgoing defender, perhaps West Ham?"

Would be good to see him make the step up to the Premiership. He has been doing really well since going back to Reading. Definitely won't be back in a Dons shirt unfortunately.